1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What brand of fork seals do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Jul 17, 2020.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Like the SKF seals better than OEM, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. Can't go wrong with either, and I wouldn't bother with any other option outside of desperation.

2. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

I've been using OEM ones in my home shop for years without problems (not a huge # of installs TBH), provided tube sliding surfaces are in good shape.

But I've read/heard from several folks I trust (including a few beeb folks) that the SKF Greenies are the way to go.

So, what is/are the source(s) for the SKF Greenies? Or at least maybe link to a fitment guide?
    I'd be ordering a set here & there, not shop-stock quantities.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Metric can get them for you I believe.

Otherwise you can find a distr. close to you

https://www.skf.com/us/support/find-a-distributor
    https://www.skf.com/group/products/automotive-seals/suspension-seals/fork-seals#cid-466178

ronin1052 likes this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I ogt suckered when I shipped my forks out to Cali for a rebuild. I didn't know any better and I don't know what they installed BUT the first day out on them and they leaked like Niagra. OEM from now on.
    PS, I ve always thought highly about SKF but the last bearing I bought from them were made in Argentina...WTF.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We stock most common sizes. And anything we don't have we can get in 2-3 days. What bike?

evakat likes this.
  6. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Various bikes.
    No immediate need ATM, but K6 GSX-R600 Showas on my TL will be needing a refresh someday soon-ish.

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

They are NOK seals, its printed right on the seal.

I have a funny leak proof story actually-many many years ago a buddy had a GSXR with a leaking seal but he couldn't get anything except for leak proof as its all that was in stock. When he unloaded the bike at the track I noticed the front was super low so I pulled up on the bars and it just stuck where it came up to. Then when you pushed down it stuck there as well. I'd say that's a hair more stiction than what he was looking for!

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I prefer the SKF seals myself. Second choice is the Pro X stuff if available. It is factory NOK seals in a different package.
    Don’t care for the All Balls or K&S seals myself.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I prefer the SKF seals myself. Second choice is the Pro X stuff if available. It is factory NOK seals in a different package.
    Don’t care for the All Balls or K&S seals myself.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:crackup:

11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I have done roughly 30+ fork seal side jobs, so barely a fraction of Mike. I've only ever had one leak, and that was because my neighbor insisted on using the All Ballz seals he had already purchased. I tried to reason with him, but hey it's his bike, and his money. So job done, he heads to a trackday, then calls me saying they are leaking and can I fix it for free? :crackup:

12. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Öhlins is now an American company.

13. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yup. Purchased by Tenneco, out of Chicago.

15. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

The best part of All Balls is their fit chart...I can cross reference seals from one brand to another and I have multiple options when ordering OEM seals when backorders happen, for example I ordered OEM Honda VFR1200 seals for a GSXR 1000 because they were easier to get. I’ll never use A/B seals if I have another option.

sdg likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They'll always be Swedish to me.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

So, yeah. That. I wonder if people that bring their own steak ums to the restaurant they like the way the filet mignon is served complain the same way...

Bruce likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'm a bit biased from my prior days working as a mechanic, but I just don't understand people bringing in their own parts. You either do the job yourself with your own shit or when you have someone else do it, you use their shit. Makes it pretty cut and dry for any future problems.

Got annoyed with people bringing in their own shit brake pads and bitching about squealing and trying to weasel free shit. "But your pads are more expensive". Well. They don't fucking squeal like a stuck pig either. I've have T-man doing my suspension for years and to date I've never asked for a specific print out of the bill. Never saw the point. If I can't trust the person doing the suspension on my bike that I'm doing 150+MPH on to not bloat a repair bill, I shouldn't trust him to work on my shit. The established shops in the paddock all have their own way of doing things, and they got that way for a reason. I'm sure as shit not gonna question it.

Bruce likes this.
  19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Say he with an umlaut on his keyboard. :D