1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lower cost transponder systems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Thanks to COVID, while we are allowed to race in Maine, the various restrictions and other factors mean that turnout is LOW, which is a problem when you do everything manually but can't find bodies to do it reliably. So, I've decided to see what the cost would be for a transponder setup, if it's even feasible for the supermoto club at our small size?

It looks like AMB and Westhold require a ground loop which won't be possible. I know the hare scramble guys are using an RFID based setup, low cost for transponders, entire setup is portable, but they funnel riders into a single file chute actual detection, so that won't fly for Supermoto. Supermoto East Coast had something that looked viable, used an antenna on the side of start/finish, and traditional transponders but I've no idea what system it actually was. Anyone got suggestions to investigate, or pointers to places to shop for used setups?

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I think that most RFID systems are limited by vehicle speed. There are some cycling systems that claim 60kmh reading. But here's a motorsport version that might be worth investigating:
    https://motosponderresults.com/

I raced a hare scramble series with a system similar to that, and it didn't require a stop and scan; you would just ride through the loop. However, they also had it at the slowest section right after the start/finish, so everyone was already single file when entering the pits or reentering the course for another lap.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Supermoto east coast used a system from tag Heuer.
    You could probably ask Jay the owner about it if you email him.
    Maylaps is also expensive but you don't always have to bury the transmitter

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to attend one or two SMEC events this year and will hit him up in person. The Tag setup looks promising, even using rfid tags instead of the active transponders SMEC uses.