1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying house from private owner, down payment + 60 mos payments????

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Jul 12, 2020.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm with everybody else, get a mortgage. They are practically giving you the money right now.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

GO TO THE BANK! Nothing against the house but with 25K down you can get a loan (if not you should not be buying) at a low interest rate. Get a 15 and pay it off faster if that is your plan.

The problem with the option you have laid out is the house is not yours until 5 years from now. In the meantime he gets sued, gets a divorce or dies then you are in a bad place. Easy to avoid just get a loan and reduce your exposure to disaster.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

If you walk outside of your house and yell "I NEED A HOME LOAN!"

I bet you a mortgage lender would fall out of the nearest tree with a briefcase, and a hand ready to shake.

SGVRider, motoracer1100 and Phl218 like this.
  4. sheepofblue

Oh also avoid the 401K. Unless the laws have changed if you leave your place of work the loan is due in full. So unemployed and up a creek.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

To many crazy fucked up situations could potentially happen that leaves dude out a large sum of money and no house.

See post #22 for just a few of the possibilities.

If Interest rates were 12%, sure...risk it. A 10 year mortgage is less that 3% APR right now. That's CHEAP insurance in the event something happens to the current owner.

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

yeah that’s what I’m saying. WTF. A city lot costs 70k by me.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

LOL at all the GET A MORTGAGE people.....rates are so low they are almost free...

Well almost free isnt FREE. If the owner is like...ill take 100K, 25K down and 1K a month for 60 months thats 25,000 + 60,000 = 85,000. Now if the "rest" the OP was talking about is only the last 15,000 then the guy is actually offering FREE money. Why not take it. If you do the math for a 75K loan for 10 years at 3% thats still about $5,800 in interest.

Again, these types of sales used to be pretty common around the midwest. If properly done you have lawyers, contracts, these are recorded with the county.

Its not like after 5 years the guy comes in twisting his handle bar mustache and throws you off the property keeping the land.

We see some of these types of sales around my area now as a crappy way to not fix up foreclosures to sell. You buy a crappy rundown foreclosure. You advertise it for lease/sale. Do a contract and let the 'buyer' fix it up. They make payments but if they miss or just leave you get the place back and do it again. The best part is since you're selling it...you aren't responsible for the upkeep or habitability.

This does not sound like that type of sale.....Go for it. unless the seller prefers all cash then get a loan and be done with it.

Good luck. The place looks nice.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

some 401k's are open for utilization for the first home purchase without penalty.

9. sheepofblue

A home loan qualifies but I suspect it still falls under these rules
    http://www.401khelpcenter.com/loans_2.html#.Xwxp5y2z3OQ

I would be VERY careful about this. IMO not worth the risk. Plans can change even if yours allows you to keep the loan. And at a minimum you would have to stay in the plan, reducing your options vs a transfer IRA. Oh and notice the interest is not deductible. Kind of like a land contract, I would avoid these.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

depends on location. Look at Maine... there are 30+ acre plots with ocean or river access going for $200k ish

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

$77.00 in debt...less than $100.00

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

right. it would need to be for a mortgage.

13. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Does that count the bet to the Air Fence fund that didn’t get paid??

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is how it works.

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is not how it works.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You should get a mortgage. The delta between expected returns from investments and the absurdly low interest rate on a mortgage makes it a no-brainer.

Take the difference between what the mortgage payment is and the $1K/month you were planning to pay and put it into index funds.

People don't take into account the opportunity cost of what your money could be earning you when doing "interest math".

SGVRider, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  17. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

if you're in Ohio, give me a call. We draft these quite often.

18. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Excellent about the 77 debt. My concern is the ballon payment. What interest rate will you be paying the owner? I assume you will have to get a loan for the 25k. Can you swing a 1000 payment while paying off the 25k. I’ve seen good people know that a ballon payment is coming and still they were not prepared for it and had to do things they would never had considered. If you do decide to go forward make sure your attorney writes up the contract and spells out what will happen if he dies etc. Good luck

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about. The house is his the moment he walks away from the closing table. The only thing that can change that is him failing to meet his contractual obligations. If the lienholder dies or becomes insolvent, the payments would simply go to the estate or bankruptcy trustee. If the current owner cannot convey clear title at closing, the title company will either fix the mess or negate the sale.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I might be missing something obvious but it seems to me that the seller is taking the bigger risk here.

YamahaRick likes this.