1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia.....

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 10, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I do have an iWatch. What app are you using, or is it something baked into iOS health?

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's called SleepWatch and here's a graphic from my sleep last night. It shows a lot of other data but this is the part that's important.

[​IMG]

NemesisR6 likes this.
  3. NemesisR6

Well, damn.........that looks very detailed. Gonna give that a try tonight and see what my results are.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

he's not trying to break the fitbit / apple watch, he's trying to sleep

969 likes this.
  5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I have two friends recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and put on c-paps, neither had to go in for a sleep study, whatever they used was done at home. With how much better they feel and how shitty I sleep I’m going to ask my doctor about it too.

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Um... there are "at home" machines that arent as invasive. I did one about a month ago... Been getting a solid 7-8hrs a night without waking up 30 times ever since. At first I didnt realize how bad it was... kind of like booze & bad decisions...lol.
    I dont have a short fuse and was able to complete a couple of nagging tasks that required extreme concentration. Getting quality sleep has accelerated my ability to focus at work as well.

Gino230 likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

any keywords they used to avoid the study?

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I think this topic has been here before not gonna search right now...

CBD, Benedryl and traumatic brain injuries have helped me. Melatonin doesn't work for me, actually once past the drowsy state 15-30 minutes after taking it, my body goes into overdrive... Alchohol has negatively affected my QUALITY of sleep as well as most cannabis (with the exception of the "9lb Hammer" strain).

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Replace step one with getting a hummer and I agree.

10. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

The take home sleep study equipment is pretty non-invasive. Just a strap that goes around your chest, an O2 monitor that goes on a finger, maybe a couple of stick on pads?
    And another vote for CBD oil. Sleep is really the only thing it's significantly improved for me, but it's a BIG improvement.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

What's insomnia?

~sent from Earth Station

12. I kinda gave up fighting it years ago. I don't know if I have ever slept more than 2 consecutive hours. I toss and turn a lot, wake up and look at the time, turn the TV on, go get some water, etc. I just cant sleep a lot. If I get 5hrs in a night, that is good...and even that will be broken up.

I tried a ton of different things, nothing helped. So what I do is, if I feel like sleeping, I will sleep. If it is after lunch and I feel like sitting in my chair and dozing for a 15min power nap, ill do it. Or if it is 9pm and I feel sleepy, ill go for it. I don't fight the urge to sleep, because I know the chances are that when it is actually "time to sleep", I wont.

BigBird likes this.
  13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

My buddy that did the test a couple weeks ago didn’t have a choice, because of Covid no one wants patients in person.

I know nothing about it but I would think home tests would take the place of sleep studies completely, obviously your sleep at home would be better to test and there’s plenty of technology to make it easy. I’m surprised they still do those considering my $100 Fitbit shows every minute that I’m asleep or awake. If I did a sleep study I wouldn’t sleep at all and it would be pointless.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The home test isn't as conclusive as the lab test. It can give false positives and negatives, which is why it's not as heavily utilized.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I am a light sleeper, and as I've aged it's gotten worse. I've found that like anything in life that pays dividends, there's work involved.

1. You can't drink and expect to feel rested the next day. You'll pass out fine but you won't get real sleep. Same with Cannabis. Ambien is better, but it has long term health effects. It's basically a mini Xanax so you're benzoning yourself out.

2. caffeine is cumulative. You can't just stop drinking coffee 4 hours before bed.

3. Like @JBraun for some reason I sleep better after lifting than I do after long bike rides or runs. Cumulative days of long rides or runs makes it worse- I think your body freaks out like you're running away from something.

4. I noticed I sleep better on the road in hotels, where I usually make it freezing, am all alone, and have a big blanket, and KNOW I won't be woken up in the morning, and even if I am, there's nothing to do. No grass to mow, no bodywork to fiberglass, no dog to take out.

This last point is what helped me to understand that it's less physical than mental, and that has been the final piece of the puzzle for me- meditation.

There's a reason all the hippie gurus call meditation a "practice", because that's what it is- you won't be very good at it at first, but don't judge yourself, just keep practicing it over and over. I promise, if you get into the habit, it will help.

I would try CBD, even though sleep experts say there's been no studies yet showing how it works......but I'm not willing to bet my livelihood that I won't pop positive on a random pee test.

THere's also the time you go to bed and wake up- each of us has a natural rhythm and it can change over time. Lately I've been going to bed earlier and waking earlier, I find my energy is better during the day. But my wife isn't home from work until Midnight and that puts a crimp in that plan.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...tion/what-to-know-about-an-at-home-sleep-test

Most all diagnostic procedures have both type I and type II errors. Many poeple simply dont do an in-lab study becuase of perceived inconvenience/discomfort. Many practices are suggestions in-home first. Both my wife and I did it in Jan 2019, and have not looked back. I am trying to source a c-pac that runs on battery power for when I am in the field and dont have AC.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Something else nobody's mentioned here....to the OP...how's your blood pressure?

I used to wake up more tired than I was when I went to bed. Hypertension was the issue.
    Got that under control and the first night on my medication was the first night of sleep I'd REALLY slept in like 10 years.
    The bass drum that was always in my head went away.

Once in a great while I'll have a night of insomnia here and there, but nothing constant.

Garmin's another smart watch that will report back to you on their Connect application that interfaces from one of their smart watches
    and your phone. I have a Fenix 5 model.

18. NemesisR6

Not an issue. I'm fit as a fiddle and it's never been more than 1115-120 over 75-80 for every checkup I've ever had.

I did try a sleep-app as suggested early in the thread, and have started to incorporate the easy stuff first. No digital screens after 7pm. No liquids (especially caffeine/sugar) after 7pm, either. Now I read a book instead of watching TV.

My data shows that I'm still not getting truly restful sleep, but I have felt a bit better after those two easy changes.

I still get hot, so we are going mattress shopping next week. I'm not about to be turning my A/C down to 70 degrees at night.......my electric bill is already through the roof.

After that, I'll take some more data and see how things progress..........tryin' real hard not to get docs involved. Tryin' real hard, Ringo.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

My son, at like 6-7 yo, and before getting his Tonsils and Adenoid taken out did a sleep study.

Uhhh, yeah, going to sleep in a strange place with like 20 wires on you does not promote good sleep, and he woke up enough times, that we were basically up for the entire night. Bless those sleep techs, that's not an easy job.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dave, I'll look at mine for the model #. I believe it will run on battery.