1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have an '18+ Ninja 400 as a streetbike?

Discussion in 'General' started by younglion, Jul 6, 2020.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I recently bought a '20 KTM Duke 890 R but it turns out I'm not cut out for Euro ownership so back to boring yet reliable Japanese made bikes.

I enjoyed both small CC bikes I've had in the past and this new 400 seems to be juuuust enough to have fun with.

I've been researching mods and it looks like a FT ECU flash, exhaust, and possibly Velocity stacks (according to EDR Performance site) can get this little bike up to around 50 reliable ponies on pump gas.

I'd throw in some EPFA EBC pads up front and likely leave it as is otherwise.

Any first hand feedback?

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

what’s wrong with the ktm?

that’s a hell of a downgrade

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The only people I know who ride 400's is because they are afraid of 600's. Obviously not the case here but no, I don't know anyone who chooses to ride such a small bike in freeway traffic.

4. younglion

In a nutshell - a LOT. I'll hold off on any further comments as I'm working with KTM and my dealer to sort it out but the past 8 weeks have been well, trying shall we say.

Yes I'm fully aware of the "downgrade" in performance, however I've always been one of those guys way happier to feel like I'm getting the machine to break a sweat while riding - the 890R when functional is insanely capable. On a 400 I'll be more comfortable, it'll cruise happily at 75-80mph all day long apparently, (my '15 R3 was buzzy at 80mph but otherwise an amazingly comfortable mile muncher), and it should be plenty capable to do some cornering-low when the opportunity arises. All the top manufactures make great rubber to fit it now too - Q3+, S22's, Supercorsa's, etc...

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Well, we need to know your best tail of the dragon times to assess if you make a bike “sweat.”

In all seriousness, sorry to read about the KTM. A buddy just picked up a 790 or something close to that and loves it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  6. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Thats a shame to hear about the KTM as I was looking to get one to replace my FZ-09.

I dont have extensive mileage riding a Ninja 400, but with the roads around me, I feel like it was still a turd for normal riding. IMO, a 650cc class twin is the perfect bike for the street that can cruise at 80 and still get out of its own way trying to accelerate into traffic.

So I say clapped out (or maybe not so clapped out) SV650 or FZ-07.

Sabre699 and BigBird like this.
  7. younglion

All I can say is Dragon riders clearly are faster than Club racers. I mean, was that ever in doubt? :)

I actually traded in my 790 Duke for the 890R - had 2-3 niggles with the 790 in the year I had it but nowhere close to the 890.

Phl218 and Ducti89 like this.
  8. younglion

I owned 2 FZ-09's - the original '14 and then another after having sellers remorse in '16 - great bikes as well and of course - zero issues with either. Neither were close to stock though - lotta cash into the ECU and fixing the fuelling... and suspension of course.

Roads I ride are not super fast - and where I live a 25mph over is instant impound for 7 days and after it's all said and done costs thousands in fines, tow fee's, higher insurance rates, etc... so super fast speeds aren't a consideration anyways. Clearly the 400 won't get up to 75-85mph that quickly but when kept on the boil, and on tighter roads - I'm thinking it should be entertaining enough.

dave3593 and Phl218 like this.
  9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I have a 2017 so the throttle has been "improved" compared to the pre 2017s, but its still not BMW good. I agree that the suspension needs to be upgraded. I came from a 2013 Street Triple R that I swapped the rear swingarm for a Daytona swingarm and 675R Ohlins shock and it was the best street bike I owned (even with little electrical issues) until the exhaust cam ate itself at 21k miles.

younglion likes this.
  10. Scook2397

Scook2397 Well-Known Member

i have an '18 N4 track only bike: k-tech springs, Frando 15mm radial MC, braided lines, Vesrah RJL, Q3+, WC clipons, WC ignition delete, Norton reflash, MWR filter, 2@OEM short V stax, R6 throttle tube, Spears clutch upgrades, Barnett springs, Vortex rear sets, Hindle full exhaust, Spears ride height kit, current gen GSX-R shock with '06 GSX-R spring, Galfer WSStk rotor, Magyver kick stand delete, Tyga exhaust bracket, Tyga steer stop, Stompgrip, track bodywork & WC sliders. Probably more just cant remember right now...oh I also own a GSX-R 750 track bike for reference.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. Ducti89

Wait, where the hell is this agency located that they are seizing vehicles for speeding?

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sounds like either Canada or VA.

I used to have a N250 when I started. it was fine on the streets. I do love my N650s though. It's like a bigger version of the small ninjas, and can still get into the 120s with ease. For your purposes the N400 may be fine, but I did like to be able to get into the triple digits a bit easier than the struggle with the small bike.

13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Do you really want 400R ergos for the street?

They make a Z400 as well.

14. younglion

Big Bird was right - I'm in BC, Canada.

40kph (25mph) over in any posted speed area is an automatic impound for your bike/car.

$378 fine
    $200-$300 tow
    7 day impound is $200-$250
    Insurance rates climb for 3 years by $300ish/year.

If you get a second one in a 3 year period boy it gets ugly.

15. younglion

The ergo's on the Ninja are damn near perfect for street riding IMO. The Z400 is less sporty with higher bars and offers zero wind protection where the Ninja gives you a super quiet pocket and some protection against the elements and the lower bars (while still high by sportbike standards) are way better positioned for fun stuff.

I'm just hoping to find a balance of fun, practical, and good value (as in reliable).

16. Ducti89

:eek: Man thats a weee bit excessive.

17. younglion

That's the law the Govt implemented about 10 years ago now - "Excessive speed against a posted sign" and yeah, it is overkill to say the least.

It's not progressive either so 40 over in a 25 zone is the same infraction as 40 over in a 110 zone (kph not mph).

18. Ducti89

Im sure speeding is not the most pressing issue in BC, either.

Stay safe. Keep is posted with what you purchase.

19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a Ninja 400 for her to learn on. I swapped the clutch springs for stiffer and added the helper spring at the cable connection on the motor end. It helped stiffen the clutch pull and helps the lever fully release. Added a cheap ebay slip on, changed levers, threw on some Michelin Road 5's, case savers and frame sliders, and tank grips.

I've been riding it back and forth to work while waiting for my bike, and think it is a perfect commuter. Plenty of power for putting around town, passing when needed, does highway speeds just fine and get there quicker than 99% of the cars around here. Seating position is comfortable. Zero complaints here.

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do they actually enforce it? That's fucking nuts........I wouldn't even have a street bike if I lived there. Tbh, I prolly wouldn't have a car if I lived there.