1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YZF750 Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Tech' started by michael_chicago, Apr 6, 2020.

1. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some input on whether it's considered acceptable to re-use some of the valve train parts in the cylinder head as a few are now NLA from Yamaha.

Specifically, I cannot get OEM: middle intake valves, exhaust valves, intake spring seats, intake retainers, and exhaust springs.

I've spoken to Ferrea and they may be able to provide the valves.

But, is it OK to use the parts I have if they are within spec per the factory workshop manual?

I'm a little concerned about those spring seats as one was broken into four pieces (some of them I found in the sump) upon disassembly.

I have new bearings, pistons, rings and cam chain. Bike is a vintage racer that sees occasional use.

Thoughts?

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Really don't have much choice with these bikes other than to try to reuse parts. Kinda now wishing I would had sold mine back when it was 6yrs old. Now its 23yrs old.

3. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

kibblewhite. use stainless. a few other places have stainless also

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The available FZR1000 springs will fit but they may not be strong enough for the 750's rev limit to prevent valve float.

The intake seats and retainers for the 1000s are also not available...they would likely have fit.

I have a complete set of OWO1 springs (NOS). I bought them to pair with the OWO1 cams in my 1000, but they're so strong that they would have been an unwanted parasitic drag...the 1000 doesn't rev to the moon so they were overkill for my application. Twist my arm if you want 'em...

Also have my original '95 1000 cams (unavailable) with 13K miles, not sure of their specs compared to the 750, but if you wanted those too...you know, *Italian cams. :D

*That may be before your time here.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

So glad I just picked up yet another Yamaha with unobtanium parts availability..........:confused:. Previous owner says the head was redone years ago and very little run time since. No noises or anything suspicious running it so far, so fingers crossed I get some time out of it. So I’m gathering from y’all some fzr1k parts are interchangeable......good to know ahead of time. I assumed they would have been different animals altogether.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Lotsa parts interchangeability.

britx303 likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers