1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Moto Guzzi owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Jul 2, 2020.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by a local 1998 Guzzi V11 that needs the clutch replaced. So far it appears that the work is rather... intensive. Engine out, special tools, and etc. Assuming that the rest of the bike is in pretty good shape, and the clutch is the only (obvious) issue, what other things should I look out for with this bike? Electrical, mechanical, ethereal, emotional issues?

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what special tools would be required other than maybe a clutch alignment tool. If you've ever replaced a BMW Boxer clutch or any car it shouldn't be too dissimilar I can't imagine.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Look up "crab the frame" at thisoldtractor.com

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My dad has a v11 lemans that I ride sometimes. I’ve only done some basic maintenance on it but it wasn’t bad. Fun bike with lots of tq. Set of pipes, air filter and power commander and they run good, sound even better.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had a Daytona way back and it was like a tractor. Like working on a tractor, driving a tractor and trying to wheelie a tractor. I liked that bike, it landed more "interesting" chicks then the 851 I traded for it. :D

I don't remember having to do much if any maintenance to it come to think of it. Mounting the custom made OVER Ti pipes to it was the easiest work I'd even done on a bike. lol!

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wait, Isn't the V11 that cruiser Guzzi? How is the price? Not the best looking Guzzi and there have been some Bull dogs chewing bubble gum and fart bubbles ugly ones.

7. ton

ton Arf!

the V11 Lemans was actually one of the "sporty" models. i quite like it, but it's definitely not for everyone...
    [​IMG]

cpettit and Banditracer like this.
  8. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

A couple of decades ago a dealer in San Francisco was blowing them out for around $6k otd if memory serves me right. Was really close to doing a fly and ride before that was a thing. Would have been a great cross country trip back to NY.

9. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

The MGS-01 Corsa makes my cheese bubble.

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Damn good looking bike , I love those .

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I had an SP1000 and a 1971 Ambassador. The Ambo was my v-twin cruiser. Putting it in 1st gear was a tremendous CLUNK. Feed out the gas and it would leap forward and assume a slow steady speed. Shift to 2d with another mighty CLUNK and a corresponding leap forward to another slow steady speed. The bike had 4 CLUNKs and 4 leaps and that was it. The starter motor on it would crank a large tractor and the battery resembled a deep cell diesel truck battery. There was nothing small, delicate or light about any aspect of that bike.

The Eldorado was the 850 model and was used by police. No surprise they would be outrun by damn near anything.

Cheers,

Dave

tl1098 likes this.
  12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Do you still have to drop the oil pan to change the filter?

13. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

That's how it was on my 1100 Jackal. The spin on filter spins on to the floor of the oil pan, on the inside. At least the oil pan removal was straight forward.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I think there is a section that unscrews to gain access to it. That's the way the v11 lemans was at least.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

To close the loop, the bike sold before I was able to look at it. Reading on replacing the clutch (and other maintenance operations), I think that I'm better off without that bike. Marginally better off, but just enough to rationalize not being able to buy it.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Which V11 was it? The cool looking naked/ sportsbike or the cruiser? Just wondering.

17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Cruiser. Not a bad looking bike, and the price reflected the level of effort to replace the clutch. The sportbike would be pretty cool tho.

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My boss had a V7 racer he made me come with to get and ride back to our dealership for him. I think I ended up putting on about 75 of the 300 miles it got in 5yrs of him owning it.
    It was slow but beautiful. I could deal with the vtwin until he made me put mufflers on it then it sounded like a harley, ruined the whole thing to me.

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I have a hondaguzzi. Can't get out of its own way but it's as reliable as a hammer.
    [​IMG]

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I had 53 falcone, wish I still have it.