1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r6 fuel pumps, not the whole unit just the pump

Discussion in 'Tech' started by phatbob, Jun 26, 2020.

1. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

Hi

I am looking for some R6 08-15 fuel pumps, I dont need the whole integrated plastic unit, just the pump motor itself. Does anyone know of a reliable source for these and part #s ? I seem some on banggood.com.. but... yeah...

they should be around $50 not the $300 for the whole unit, which I dont need anyways...

thanks guys

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I bought one for $20 off ebay, seemed to do the trick.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

What he said, I sourced one off eBay for my dirtbike when the pump went. I think it was like $26, a little tedious to replace but worked great.

4. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

Thanks guys ...
    Anyone know what a decent raliable brand is ? I'm super weary of chinese ebay sellers...

5. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

6. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

I have been struggling with Fuel Pump’s in my 98 R1
    I screwed up my OEM Pump by mistake and rather than pay the $300 I went off brand

Have gone through 4 pumps in 2 years including multiple breakdowns in races and trackdays
    Finally got hold of their customer service representative and they say their pump won’t work with anything above 91 octane and certainly not racing gas

Going to bite the bullet and switch back to a $300 OEM Pump or maybe $100 used fuel pump

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

plenty of used OEM complete fuel pumps on ebay for $150-200

8. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

Thx everyone.. I went with a couple of Quantum units.. hope they work/last LoL

also as an aside, do people ever test the FPR in the pump housing ? Im testing all my units just so I get consistent pressure on old vs new pumps vs spares.. so have fuelling stability when swapping tanks,,, just wondering if anyone's ever had FPR issies

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have a gauge that i can splice into the fuel line at the quick disconnects.. 47-50psi i'm pretty sure is what ya need to see. can run the bike while it's in there

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Pressure testing tells you something but the secondary flow test is what will tell you about the health of the pump and what usually fails when the bike is cutting out at high rpm.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

ok so heres the deal. I decided to test the regulator / housing assemblies so I can have interchangeable spares between all bikes etc. And I found out.. it wasn't my pump. I put the "dead" pump and assembly back together, dunked it in a bucket, hooked up a fuel pressure regulator, hooked up a voltage regulator where I can measure amps. ran it up, was only getting 20psi, ran it up to 16v 6A, same. Ok. Plunked in known working assembly from other bike, ran it up, got ~55psi regulated (wouldn't go any higher) at 14.5v 5A. ok. Ran again with full bleed on the gauge (to test pressure at high flow). Pump wouldn't keep up with full bleed but settled around 40-42psi. ok, so known baseline (maybe my gauge is a bit off but you get the idea).

Then took said what I thought was dead pump, put it into the known good assembly.. lo and behold, almost exact same results, 14.5V 5.1A. So it was the regulator assembly !

Then I took known good pump, put it into "bad" regulator assembly.. 20psi and maxed out Amps / V on my regulator. So yeah. Its the regulator/assembly.

I then intentionally hooked it up backwards with the sock off... and a shit ton of crap came out of the assembly. Ran it backwards a few more times. Cleaned out bucket.. ran it forwards.. bam 55psi at 15V 5A. did this a few more times.. now both regulator assemblies outputting same at full bleed holding approx 40psi...

So.. it got full of crap. It also looks like there's an intergrated filter in the back of the regulator housing ? .. anyways.. anyone see this before, is there more I should look to clean ?

I should mention, I realized that the tank was leaking from above (owner had previously modded it for a "quick drain" but didn't realize that any crap building up on his filler would leak into the tank), and thats why the "dead assembly" tank was full of crap, and why it got dirty itself. So fixed that part of it..

but just making sure I dont fuber myself (yes yes I know just buy a new assembly and I'm being totally ghetto).. but really its making good pressure now. I'm thinking just intall the new pumps anyways and send it.. but can I also replace whatever is in the back side of the housing as well ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020