1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil filter question for racing

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FED34FIRE, Jun 30, 2020.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Is it true that K&N Oil filters are banned by every racing sanctioning body and track in the USA? I've used them for years on both road and race bikes with no issues. I know there was a recall but it never effected the bikes I own. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

If you use the nut they weld on the end to tighten the filter, it will crack the filter

TLR67 likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And they will crack if you don’t use it too....

tigerblade and drop like this.
  5. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Hard to go wrong with OEM filters. Put a clamp on there and wire it

duc995 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

I have personally witnessed several K&Ns leaking from the rivets where the nut is, even though nut was never used at all... after being on bike for a while, was either from heat cycling or vibration... or both... whatever the case.. one guy i had come by had oil all over his rear tire and didn't even know it...

7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I have never personally had an issue with a K&N filter, but I know of several failures with friends and acquaintances in the paddock.

I don't know if every race organization has banned them, but the safe bet is to just use an OEM filter.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

it's not just the spot welded nut on the end, it's the actual o-ring that is not fit properly for the metal filter outside design, and oil psi pushes it out. that has failed as many times as the nut leaking at the spot welds. i don't know if actually banned by all racing, some i am pretty sure, and some track day organizers won't allow, but at this point, people should be bitch slapped if they continue to use them...

9. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I think Jason Ferrell even had one of those things explode on his Dyno, and shoot oil everywhere. I'll never use them.. If OEM filters are good enough for the MotoA and WSBK teams they're sure as shit good enough for me.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Can anyone point to a technical analysis of why K&N oil filters supposedly fail more frequently than OE filters?

11. hiddentoken

hiddentoken Sine Labore Nihil

I know a guy that oiled down the back straight at COTA during a track day due to a K&N filter. Luckily he didn't go down. I am pretty sure that K&N replaced the motor for him. That confirmed the stories that I had already heard and decided to never try them after that.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here's a recall notice from 2017. I can't find anything else related to ongoing failures, but there is a certain emotional attachment to having an oil filter fail and create an extremely hazardous condition on the track, not to mention injuries and crash damage:
    https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

13. TurboBlew

i feel like the exact thing happened with emgo filters in the early 2000s
    Ken & Norm should be ashamed

14. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I believe Norm sold his share to Ken maybe 10 years ago

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

MULTIPLE posts here, and on FB of k&n filters failing. Not in one manner, but 2 different ways ! seal blows out, or, the area where the nut is spot welded on, leaks oil.
    . I have never, in 16 years of roadracing, heard of an oem filter failing in any way shape or form.. that's good enough for me.

Emgo oil filters were the only other filters i used, and never had an issue. There may have been issues with em, but i never heard any bad stories.. Dick Suarez swore by em, and that guy has been around longer than dinosaurs.

Trainwreck likes this.
  16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Did Wyman's incident at COTA a few years ago have anything to do with a K&N filter?

17. TurboBlew

Its been a long time but I swear thats the brand that was banned from road racing since it blew out the gasket and caused a pretty nasty pileup.

18. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone,

Are they banned with WERA? I'm just about finished building a bike for WERA and AHRMA Vintage.

I spoke to another race organization and also my track day club. They are not banned. However, they did recommend using OEM with Hose Clamp. I;ve only used the hex nut for removable in the past. It was only one filter model that was recalled. If something is this dangerous how are they even still available? I was told that one failed in MotoAmerica but, K&N state MotoAmerica AMA Superbike Approved. How is that possible????

19. TurboBlew

If tech catches it in WERA you'll have to either change it or have it looked at prior to entering & exiting the track. At least thats how it was at Sticks practice event at Roebling. He mirrors WERAs tech.
    Also you really shouldn't rely on "advertising" copy.
    MA AMA SB Approved simply means that some teams put their sticker on the livery for some sponsorship moola. Whats hilarious here is the filtering media on them has been proven to be terrible. But a 17mm removal nut allows them to charge $15 for a $.50 filter. Instead of a proper oil filter wrench...which is $6 and a replacement hiflo is $10... or go oem for a few bucks more.
    Hopefully youre not drinking RedBull to hydrate...lol