1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older Diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Jun 29, 2020.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'll warn you ahead of time........prepare to be spoiled when towing that toy hauler with the diesel truck. As I tried to express in my first...and fairly long post, the biggest fault of the 250 diesels is their anemic payload numbers. They'll pull a house down, especially anything with the 6.7 in it. But the problem with not having a decent payload really comes into play when trying to haul a 5th wheel camping type trailer. 5th Wheel camping trailers will put down at least 20% of the trailer as pin weight. So even a relatively small 5ver, let's say 10,000 lbs worth of trailer, will cause at least 2000 lbs of pin on the truck. Add the weight of the hitch, passengers, cargo in the bed.....basically anything and everything that goes in the truck cab and in the bed of the truck and it's pretty easy to see how something as small as a 10,000 lb 5ver can put 2600, 2800 lb or more on/in the truck.......and about 99% of the 3/4Ton trucks with diesel engines in them have payload capacity ratings in the low 2000 range. My former F250 Diesel had a payload of 2148 lbs! That 10,000 lbs trailer would have overloaded it with just pin weight, and not even counting the hitch, passengers, and everything else that goes along for the ride.

2. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight.....diesel in the truck, DEF in the truck (just not in the same tanks please) and gasoline in the Toy Hauler tank......that about cover it Diesel boy! :crackup:

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

4. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

We didnt say a word since they charge extra and my wife has a in with them.

5. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Yeah I will not forget.
    The sound of the motor will let me know to put diesel in it.
    I filled the toy hauler tank full of premium gas and the generator was on from 7am to 4pm and only used 1/4 of the tank. I put 87 in the tank for Tally and ran the same time but used 3/4 of a tank for the generator.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So you used 3x the gas when dropping down octane? That doesn't make sense to me, did you use a lot more A/C, cooking, or tire warmers?

7. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Just curious...WTF else do they think you are going to do with the truck that a half ton wouldn’t cover?

Have your wife park it at a few places. They’re not bad to park but certainly an adjustment from a titan especially if you have the 8’ bed.
    After driving a Dodge the Ford will feel like you’re floating on a cloud. Dodge DEFINITELY has the most “truck like” ride.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

What is this DEF you speak of? My 08 Duramax didn’t require that nonsense, Tow Boy. :D

roy826ex likes this.
  9. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Harsh ride when heavily loaded? Maybe, don’t have first-hand experience, but if so I’d be ok with it considering the coil suspension is a pretty nice ride when unloaded, having a slightly harsher ride when heavily loaded wouldn’t be the end of the world. Should be no change to ride quality at all when unloaded as the Timbrens aren’t in contact until the rear suspension sags 1-1.5”. And it’s $250 and maintenance free. Win-win in my book.

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Deleted, no DEF and no stupid ass regens every 700 miles. I hate diesel truck emissions bullshit.

Heading out in the morning in mine fully loaded out toy hauler with two bikes to the NC mountains to camp in the woods backed up to fresh water fed mountain creek. 7 days of it!

11. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Anyone that has already deleted should count themselves lucky, because anyone in the market for a modern diesel now or considering deleting their emissions equipment is going to find it practically impossible now that all the diesel tuners have been slapped with MAJOR fines by the EPA. All the tuners I pay attention to, and all the chatter on the Cummins Forum now, is that those same tuners are only offering emissions-intact tuning and transmission tuning now, if they are still offering any tuning options at all.

12. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

While there is truth to that, it's like anything...the longer you've been in the game, the more place you know where to look for what you want. The reality is, the diesel emissions are getting better and will only improve. The days of the delete will go away because of better reliablity and the lack of need. These new trucks are putting up some impressive numbers.

13. roy826ex

Was absolutely not a problem to get mine done locally back in February. What took the longest time was they sent a power joke exhaust pipe instead of a Duramax pipe. After that was corrected it took literally 4 hours to transform my truck into what it should have been all along. Yea I don’t go telling what exactly was done and I do that for a reason. That’s the problem with the internet loud mouths and forums they talk to much. Just keep your mouth shut, deleting a diesel truck is still out there for the most part and it ain’t real complicated at all.

14. roy826ex

Fuck no it ain’t getting better with emissions bullshit. It’s problems on top of problems. Do you even own a modern diesel? If so you’d never have said any of that tree hugging bullshit! The only problems I ever had were all emissions related mandated bullshit.

A well tuned modern diesel truck is a work of art when done right. Impressive numbers that are actually real not oem bullshit lies. Little smoke never hurt no damn body. Mine barely smokes at all. Runs very good and is more fuel efficient. Fuck all those damn stupid ass regens, dumb ass filters all that shit does is kill your $70-90k truck on your dime. The government doesn’t know what’s best for you trust me.

15. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Lol it made it to 399k. It’s deleted and all the emissions crap is gone, if I had done it when I got the truck like I was told to do then I probably wouldn’t have had an issue.

16. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I sure do own one....fully deleted and it's a beast. There is also no smoke with the tune I run.

While I agree, the emissions are bullshit, they are slowly coming along just like gas in the 70's.

We have a bunch of cummins, at work, that idle a shit ton with no emissions issues.....But, if they are used for what they are built for (towing), they are pretty reliable

roy826ex likes this.
  17. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I want to delete my Cummins but I figured I'd just hold off until shit started failing. Came out of warranty 8000 miles ago.

I guess I should at least order everything to do it soon, considering the state of things.

roy826ex likes this.
  18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The most popular angle currently is sourcing the parts/tune from Canadian dealers.

Trainwreck likes this.
  19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Tow Boy......I like the sound of that.....and I certainly qualify.....14,000 lb GVWR truck and a 20,000lb GVWR Toy Hauler.....yep, I like it!

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I live in a PA county that doesn't require emissions testing. My fear is that the G-men will "fix" that at some time. 2 miles away in the next county the poor bastards have to put up with the testing BS. I fear that fixing my '13 F350 would just come back to bite me.