1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heritage Cup at Road America and Indy

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by grasshopper, Jun 18, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Anyone doing this? What are you riding?

I just talked to Russ with MotoAmerica and he said it's 200 bucks to run in the exhibition at Road America. 4 sessions, 2 on Friday, 2 on Saturday. Saturday he said you will get on MotoAmerica Live+. For 200 bucks you get the 4 sessions and a spot in the paddock. That 200 includes entry.

Not sure if I can get Friday off or not so I'm up in the air on it. I am strongly considering doing Indy though.

evakat and VFR#52 like this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'd love to... I don't have anything worthy to run though.

Also, they had better show this on youtube!

3. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Ran my TZ in this last weekend. Cool exhibition event. Pretty much 4 sessions to put bike thru it's paces and let A LOT of people see them. Had a decent pit set-up for the Heritage guys and there was a lot of interest... Also was shown on MA live.
    If you're interested in doing Indy, do it. It's a cool, no stress, fun event :)

4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Saw that exhibition race Greg. Very cool! Some amazing bikes out there! Congrats!!

(met you at Nelson briefly - the black/neon yellow Aprilia on the corner)

Waterboy likes this.
  5. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Watchedit on MA Live... it was cool to see and hear all the bikes!

henry_carlson likes this.
  6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I rode my tz250 at the Indianapolis (brickyard) track in 2018. It was the HMGP organization when Bill Brown was alive. The motorcycle exhibition was mixed in with a SVRA car event.

It was super cool being part of an Indy program and getting to ride on the track. The track for the Heritage Cup event will probably be the same as we rode for the HMGP event. Down the front straight and then turning into the infield road course. We went CW. The infield part of the course is kind of boring. As you leave the infield and come onto the main straight you could get up on the banking some. That was cool but there is lots of car rubber there that sticks to your tires. I topped out every time down the front straight which made for some good braking practice since you have to make the turn into the infield at the end.

Jamie James was there was great to hang out with. He passed me and said my TZ sounded good:).

rd400racer, VFR#52 and evakat like this.
  7. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

So how do you go about registering for this?

8. Harry Reynolds

Harry Reynolds Well-Known Member

Following - What is the criteria for a heritage bike? I've looked around the AMA website and cannot find any info.

9. Harry Reynolds

Harry Reynolds Well-Known Member

Found it - Pre -1986 -or- something really cool!

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Anybody have a direct phone or cell number to Russ?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Russ who?

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Russ Granger

13. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

I just registered. Although I'm not fully sure if that is all that's required or if you have to submit an entry and you are accepted. The bikes have been running great all season and the track is five miles from me so I'm pretty stoked. So if I'm reading the description correctly, it isn't an actual race, correct? That would be why I didn't have to provide my race license or anything? Is it just four sessions of open track over the course of a couple days? And the rest of the time just wandering around and checking out all the other cool bikes? Also, is the pit location worth an extra $175?? Or should I just plan on using my pop-up?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got info I think - email me and I'll see what I have in the office. One way or another I can get you in touch.

50Joe likes this.
  15. Pro Speed Racin

Pro Speed Racin Well-Known Member

https://motoamerica.com/heritage-cup/ They obviously didn't stick to the years part. I was also told it was a very scripted production..

Owners/racers of 1986 and older Superbikes, as well as other racing motorcycles, two-stroke or four-stroke, GP or Production, can apply to participate by sending a rider resume, photos and the motorcycle’s historical data to [email protected]. Priority will be given to those motorcycles with a racing pedigree. Anticipated classes will be Vintage Superbike alongside an Open Exhibition category.

The Road America event will be held in conjunction with round four of the 2020 MotoAmerica Series in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, May 29-31; the WeatherTech Laguna Seca Heritage Cup will be run with round six of the series in Monterey, California, July 10-12; and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway event will take place August 21-23 in Indianapolis, Indiana, as part of the eighth round of the series.

“We’re looking forward to bringing some of our road racing history to three of our events this year,” said MotoAmerica’s Chuck Aksland. “Celebrating the heritage of the MotoAmerica Series with vintage Superbikes will be exciting, coupled with the Open category should bring some very special sights and sounds to our events.”

HERITAGE CUP, INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY, LAGUNA SECA, MOTOAMERICA, ROAD AMERICA, SUPERBIKE RACING, VINTAGE MOTORCYCLES

16. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Just registered for Indy. If you're considering this, jump on and register :)

JBall likes this.
  17. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

Last weekend at the Speedway was pretty awesome. A total of six sessions, two each Fri, Sat and Sun. About 30 bikes or so. Not sure how many chances will ever come around to run the Speedway road course at speed so I was damn glad I took advantage. $250 and that included two tickets and pit lane access for the entire weekend. Plus a garage right in the middle of all the action. All in all I considered it a bargain.

Banditracer, JBall and rd400racer like this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What bike were you on ?

19. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

I had two out there. A 69 Ducati 350 and a 71 Ducati 450. Both with the 317 number plate.

Banditracer likes this.