1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler or customized enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Well if your pit is all setup for the weekend, the 'garage' part of the enclosed trailer is wide open as well. ;)

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I have both.

I have a 5th wheel toy hauler, and this year added a 7x14 for MiniGP short trips. My son and I call it the PMC (Portable Man Cave).

The toy hauler's great for a 3 day weekend...but overkill for a one day trip to a MiniGP race 20 (DMVminigp), or an hour from my house (Sandy Hook Speedway).

Everyone here has made valid points to the strengths and weaknesses of both solutions.

I'm still adding things to the PMC as we go along here this Summer. The side vent is coming so I can have the portable AC Unit inside. I didn't want a roof AC because I wanted to keep the Yamaha 4500 in the toy hauler and my 2000 Watt pulse in the PMC, and I found a DeLonghi portable heat/AC unit
    on woot.com for dirt cheap (under $300) that will work just fine. We slept last weekend at Pitt Raceway in it on air mattresses, again woot, with a fan going, and the evening was very pleasant. Slept like a baby.

Couple TRS plates in the floor for the Ohvales, I drilled a hole in the floor for an RV plug with two pig tails inside...one's run to a surge protector with 6 plugs and a couple USB ports for charging, LED rope lights in the ceiling for the evenings, painted the walls gray and the floor black with non-slip, E-Track on the walls and floor, Pit Bull hangers for our suits on the walls.

Just been a fun little project.

Contact the Staab Agency in Maine to register your trailer and save you a LOT of money in titling and registration fees, too. They're VERY helpful. I have a 5 year tag from Maine on my enclosed trailer...$90 for 5 years. Saved me about $500 in Maryland's damned annual tag fees.

3. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Going to attempt it with my Nissan Armada and see how it goes. It's rated for 9k lbs (body on frame), but I'll probably get 8mpg...

I'm still working on the layout. Going to get it half ass done for this weekend's trip to Barber. Running wiring and lights tonight, insulating and a new roof vent/fan tomorrow night, then TRS, AC, mattress and other oddball shit Thursday.

It'll give me a chance to be at the track with it and see what I may like. Plus I think I have 6 weeks after this weekend till my next race.

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I just like the idea of a separate space. The AC can stay on up front while the doors are open in back. No gas or chemical smells where I sleep. More surface area to hang/store stuff as Wheel Bearing mentioned.

I'm still bouncing ideas around in my head though. Almost too many. I think that I'm way over thinking this shit...

Taking it to Barber this weekend with an open floor. Just insulation, mattress, AC and a genny. Hopefully it'll give me some solid ideas on how exactly to finish it. Hopefully...

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You won't be able to truly separate "gas smells" from a wall either. Yes, there will be people on here that say their separated garage keeps the fumes out. But look at the obvious - most of us are riding fuel injected bikes that don't leak anyways. I've had nothing but open floor plan toy haulers and I never had a complaint about gas smells, even hauling fuel jugs. Yeah it might smell a little like gas after a long drive, but open up the man door/ramp to unload all the stuff, and it's all out in 10 minutes anyways. Turn on the A/C and you're moving a ton of outside air in...it goes away fast.

I've slept in segregated garages that I could still smell spilled gas in the garage and shit too. Having a nice glass sliding door, or putting up a 2x4/plywood 'wall' in an enclosed trailer won't do much of anything to block fumes.

TurboBlew and E Reed like this.
  6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I just checked out the Staab Agency. So, you're a MD resident with a trailer titled and tag in Maine?

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I found the opposite, I'm just has happy taking my 31' Class C toy hauler to the local track 45 minutes for a one day event as I am going longer distances. Everything has a home so less packing/unpacking/etc, I have a retreat if I need it, makes it nice if family / friends show up. Granted, Class C means I just jump in and drive vs having to hook up a trailer, but even with quicker/smaller options at my disposal (6x10 wired and AC'd, or a 5x8 open trailer for truly lazy duty) I'd rather just drive the rig.

8. StaccatoFan

Yep. See it all the time. There's one around the corner from me as well.

Maine's figured out they can generate a revenue stream with trailer tags...MANY commercial 53 foot trailers behind Semi's going up and down America's highways are tagged in Maine.

Last time I checked, they won't register campers and RV's this way...but trailers, not a problem.

All you need is the trailer's Certificate of Origin/Title and a Bill of Sale.

You can download and print your forms to fill them out and send to Staab.

https://staabagency.com/downloads

https://staabagency.com/faq

9. StaccatoFan

Sandy Hook Speedway was a big inspiration for adding a trailer this year. Their entry way is very narrow for anything much bigger to get through and their paddock area is on a slant and not all that spacious.

DmanSlam likes this.