1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler or customized enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jun 27, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Nice. A 20-footer gives you more layout options. You have yours already, but I've seen larger, track day trailers still for sale.

I had made a diagram of a floor layout -- based on garage/living area -- that I envisioned for converting an enclosed trailer. But mine was based on a 7x14.

One consideration I made was for the living area to be somewhat, convertible to garage space with fold-up and stowable items. Immovable fixtures were at the front and along the front sides.

What are you towing your trailer with?

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

As long as you can sleep in it with out unloading anything you’ll be happy

TLR67 likes this.
  3. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

My wife and I did the Beverly Hillbillies pack job for the 3+ years between 2 bikes, equipment, 2 dogs, etc for track days and races in my F-150. It got the job done, but the hotel route was getting old and camping just wasn't comfortable for us. We went the toy hauler route late last year and it's been a game changer, especially with the 100 degree+ track days we've been doing lately. Highly recommend it if you have the truck to pull it and a place to store it.

4. DmanSlam

Agreed that this is an essential requirement.

5. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

I have an 8.5 x 20 and just got back from a weekend so I went outside to take some pics - it's set up like I go down and come back. Personally, my priority was a queen size bed that was always down and the maximum amount of space for my shit, so I was viewing it as one space rather than a living space and garage. There's a perfect size fridge next to the bed that I use as night stand and a convertible couch/bed that I put down once and then used the bed from then on out. With everything in there, I can roll up, open the side door and go right to bed with out moving anything (but I do take the stand over my head down just in case). I tow with 6.7 diesel. . .don't think I'd want to tow with a gas or 1/2 ton.

IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1821.jpg IMG_1812.jpg

6. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Recently sold this trailer but this was the set up in an 18 foot box plus 5 footV-nose.

-Harbour Freight tool boxes
    -12 volt battery under the sink
    -12 volt water pump
    -15 gallons of water in jugs under the sink
    - Sink drained unto a bucket on the ground outside
    - 120 volt small fridge with separate freezer

Attached Files:

E Reed and DmanSlam like this.
  7. DmanSlam

That's quite a showroom you have there. :cool: I'd probably leave all my tools, etc in the trailer if I had that setup. Right now, I carry everything in and out of whatever transport vehicle I'm using.

8. DmanSlam

Nice. That's a fine example of 'keeping it all secure at night.' :beer:

Questions:
    -What's the green rope across the bed?
    -Is that a curtain covering a side door?
    -Are the blue noodles used to make the tie-down cables more visible? If so, is there a story of "inspiration" for that invention? :D

9. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Very nice setup! What are the two e-track hooks that you are using for the woodcraft stands? Do they work well during transport assuming you put downward pressure on the lower side of the stands? I would like to find a cheap'ish option for transporting the stands on the wall to clear up some floor space. Thanks in advance!

10. motorkas

Thanks guys!

Green rope is a 40 inch bungee cord - it's really not necessary but it's quick easy insurance that the mattress doesn't move in transit. . .

Mattress (it's so good, probably going to buy a king one for my actual bedroom)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NANZ3HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Bed frame it's on in the trailer (frame is bungeed to D rings up front - go down to Barber and Jennings in the winter and usually have five bikes with extra wheels and tires and four guys' gear in the trailer so that's the only time the bed frame and mattress comes up - it tucks in right underneath the cabinets).

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Houseware-Mattress-Foundation-Platform/dp/B06ZZNVL4L/ref=sr_1_17?crid=28UBENUMCGRF3&dchild=1&keywords=wire+bed+frame&qid=1593488119&sprefix=wire+bed,aps,145&sr=8-17

Curtain is a walk in cooler curtain to keep the cold air in when going in and out of the trailer. They were on the trailer when I got it - love/hate relationship with them. . .love the fact they keep the cold air in. . .hate walking through them and how often they get in the way of closing the door.

Blue noodles are dollar store pool noodles - put them under your canopy (corners, and where the trusses connect to the outer frame) to support the canopy when it rains so the water doesn't pool in your canopy top - the southern boys I ride with taught me that one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

They work great with the Woodcrafts because of how the tube comes to a point, if you are using them with the Pit Bulls, have to use two for each stand to balance out the weight (it's what I did before Pit Bull made their holders). NEVER had them move once for either set up - with your assumptions of downward pressure on them (and always had them on the walls over the bikes). Honestly, if you have Pit Bulls, I'd pay the extra 20.00 and get their wall holders (but still bungee them down - why risk it) if you have Woodcraft - no brainer, they only need one hook each (and I'm pretty confident they would be secure without the bungees but it takes seconds to not even have to wonder about it).

11. motorkas

Nice work man!!!!

12. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Motor home pulling a 7x12 trailer was my favorite set-up by far! Biggest problem there was that you're stuck at the track when you park it.
    Would bring a street bike with me sometimes in the trailer to take a trip to town if need be. I did buy a brand new 40ft toyhauler and diesel truck to pull it with, but it was a pain at times to use (too big) and just didn't use it much! Plus, those expensive toyhaulers really aren't that great of quality and such. Sold it and just went back to the truck and trailer.
    I sometimes feel less is more, when the stuff to get you to the races start taking more effort than the actual racing it's not good. I think every situation is different for different people and family needs, so ultimately it's what suits your needs that will be best for you! Sounds obvious doesn't it, but it's funny how you can get caught up in what other people are doing and think it'll work for you. I'd been way better off to have stayed with cheaper transportation and put the money towards new tires more often!!

TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  13. DmanSlam

I hear you. I've decided against a toy hauler. I just canceled a rental reservation on a small toy-hauler set up for transporting motorcycles. It was cool as all inside and checked a LOT of boxes. But it wasn't really small. No surprise. But going through the exercise was good.

So, for single track days that are local, the bike in the truck bed works, except for when it rains. Then it sucks. So, back to the enclosed trailer and poring over pics of what @motorkas, and others, have done with theirs.

14. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Yes, you can pay them to deliver, set-up, tear-down and pick-up. It's all dependent upon the owner of the RV. Some do not want to do anything. Only rough experience I had was a trailer that was three years old with original factory tires. It blew one tire on the way to Daytona and another on the way home. I literally went from Christmas, FL to Daytona International Speedway. We are talking 100 mile round trip. Owner didn't understand why the tires were popping. Then come to find out, he already had one let goon him as well. The owner tried to hold my deposit for the damage to the trailer but it only took a couple weeks to get a full refund. Since then I have been having the owner drop off the trailers to avoid dealing with owners that do not take proper care of their RV. I mean, one of the first things you upgrade on a newer trailer, within the first year or two, is the cheap Chinese tires.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

May I ask why? As it is now youll only have ~160 sq ft of space which you may want as a retreat when at the track.

One idea would be do a fabric type wall to keep the space seperate but flexible.

16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I can't stress how much truth there is in these words. For anyone reading this thread and trying to figure out the way ahead for them - read it, read it again....then read it again.

17. TurboBlew

RVshare is legit... in my case I didnt want first timers using my rig let alone driving it. Also RVshare suspended me because I put up huge deposit requirements for folks wanting to drive my rig further than 150 miles. I also dont have payments like 99.5% of the folks listing there do.
    I did some Daytona gigs... money was ok after you paid a maid service and detailer $600. Now I mostly do "green room" gigs where nobody is sleeping in it. Pays alot better and less stress.

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I thought about that idea as well. A big advantage you get with adding a wall is having two sides of wall space to store shit. A simple 2x4 frame with 3/8" plywood for walls gives you a ton of additional room to hang stuff.

However, I'd go the other way - 12' garage and 8' living space, but for me, that's what I prefer. I don't spend much time at all inside my trailer. I'm either getting dressed or sleeping - why waste floor space for that?

E Reed and DmanSlam like this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a 42' TH'er that I pull with a F350 dually. It's livin' the high life at the track. 14' garage, sleeps 10 in a pinch. Biggest complaint is there's no usable wall space for hanging tools, stands and such. I'd really like to get most of that stuff up off the floor while traveling. As it is the garage floor gets crowded with spare wheels, EZups, stands etc.

DmanSlam likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

it was just something I was observing last weekend at RA... some folks like to sit in quiet to collect thoughts prior to gridding or stretch, etc. Was thinking clear floor space. Then there is the concept of putting equipment in a secure environment overnight.
    A 10x20 ezup outside helps especially with sidewalls.