1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 R1 just Dies after 5 mins

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cajun636, Jun 29, 2020.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

A friend of mine has an R1, that just dies, either on or off throttle, Everything is stock, after it dies, it won’t start until 20-30 mins of waiting.

edit. Also it only does it on track. Can run in the parking lot with no problems. Not over heating
    Either

any ideas? No codes thrown.

2. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Not sure if this applies to fuel injected bikes, but gas cap vent not allowing fuel flow due to vacuum created in tank?

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep we checked that.

4. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

Did you check and reset the TPS? Has there been any tune or electronics flash, I know you said "stock"? Have you checked to make sure the throttle is opening correctly, one of the throttle stepper motors could be bad

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Nope it’s stock stock. That’s what he actually prides himself on. He runs fast af on a stock stock bike
    Well did anyways.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Wow, that sounds terrifying for a track bike to be doing that.

When you say "dies," are we talking any sputtering or anything or just turns off like a switch..........with the latter I would think an electrical issue happening somehow/somewhere.

As to what that issue might be any why it's so temperamental is where the real challenge is.....

cajun636 likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This reminds me of older bikes with bad coils or CDI. Coil works fine when cold; bike heats up, coil goes bad, bike won't run until the coil cools down. Also an indicator of a bad connection in the harness near a heat source: Again, bike warms up, connection fails, connection is good when cooled down. "Self-resolving problem."

Does this generation R1 have coils or a CDI? I mean, it has coils, but they are the "mount on the plug" style, right?

I hate chasing intermittent electrical gremlins. I would disconnect, clean, dielectric grease, and reconnect every electrical connection in the ignition circuit as a staring point.

cajun636 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

my fuel injected husky did that right after i bought it (used)

i took the whole fuel system apart, changed all 4 filters (1 in injector, also blew it out with carb cleaner in reverse; 1 in fuel line connector and 2 in tank).

just to realize, that the connector of the fuel pump harness had the retaining clip broken off and the previous owner had loosely fixed it with a zip tie. i put a better warp on the zip tie and added another one and had no more stalling problems.

jd41 and cajun636 like this.
  9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Here it is

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That looks electrical to me. Kill switch?

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

It seems electrical to me
    Also. And that’s what I thought,
    But nope not the kill
    Switch.

crazy part is that I literally rode laps after laps in the
    Parking lot with it and couldn’t get It to do it

12. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Another vote for electrical issue. I had a similar problem with my bike, would run fine all day just cruising around, but
    once up to a faster pace, for a sustained time, instant off. My issue turned out to be the wiring harness. The wires near
    the regulator/rectifier had corroded enough to cause the problem.

The wires became hot enough to discolor the insulation around the wires, so I had a visible indication of what was happening.
    No problems since I replaced the harness.
    I stripped the wires on the old harness and the corrosion stretched
    for almost a foot from the connector.

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Getting the same lean angles in the parking lot as on track?
    Or, it realized it can never win and just wants to die to end the agony.

14. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Defective or loose tip-over sensor?

15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's flooded??:D

cajun636 and Ducti89 like this.
  16. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

I talked to Jay and said it looks like it loses tach signal, and to check crankshaft and cam position sensors and the associated wiring.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That looks like a fantastic way to get ass packed.

j cal and 418 like this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

Aren't these things super sensitive to voltage? Check battery and electrical system.

Get it on a dyno to force a failure. A lot cheaper than a ambulance ride.

javyday and borislav like this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Relentless. I love it.

cajun636 and noles19 like this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tip over sensor was my first guess, too. Tip over sensors are the debil.

An owner of a "stock" bike can still be proud of that fact while also having removed unnecessary components. He's not running around with turn signals, mirrors and a kickstand, is he? For track duty, he might as well remove everything and anything that isn't critical for operation. Let's not get stupid, tho'...some things should be remain, like bodywork, or replace it with a crash-worthy aftermarket body.
    I get where your friend is coming from. I ran a stock CBR1000RR for years, very stealthy. It was gratifying to know that the guys with the "loud" bikes had no idea I was stalking them on track and, yes, coming around them made it even better.