1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning old carbs w/ Sonic cleaner???? Instructions/Advice?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SpeedyE, Jun 29, 2020.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Got a filthy set of 86gsxr carbs off a filthy bike, been dormant for decades.
    Got a Large sonic cleaner, en route.

I am guessing I remove the top assy/slides, and lower assy/bowls off the carbs, and toss everything in the sonic cleaner.
    I am unfamiliar what liquid goes in the cleaner, for carbs?
    I am unfamiliar, do o-rings/seals/gaskets go in the sonic cleaner too?
    I am unfamiliar, if I need to replace any/all o-rings/seals/gaskets?
    I am unfamiliar if I need to run piano wire through the jets, etc?

If it all goes back together, the same way it came apart, then I would not have to have them re-synched?
    Anything else I am missing, not understanding?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I've done sonic cleaning of old carbs too many times to remember. If you can fit the entire bank of 4 into your ultrasonic bath you may not need to strip them off the support bracket. You should however disassemble the float bowls and all jets. I would not try to disassemble the butterflies. As long as they move easily I would leave them alone. Use Clean Green or similar mixed into the water. O-rings & gaskets should be removed and likely replaced as they will have hardened since 1986. Ethanol fuel is not good for o-rings either. You may need to run several ultrasonic cycles to get all the crap off.
    Blow the jets with compressed air and hold them up to the light. If you can see light then you are good. If not use a fine guitar string to poke through. I use old guitar strings cut off at the bridge end which gives me something to grip on.
    Check float heights when you re-assemble. You will need to sync the carbs when re-assembled or you will lie in bed at night wondering......
    Hope this helps!

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

If you can find some Yamaha carb cleaner dip, it’ll take care of them. That stuff is the business...

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. SpeedyE

Thank you Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SpeedyE

:eek::eek::eek::oops::eek::eek::eek:

Huh????? :oops:

6. SpeedyE

Do I need to drill/remove some kind of cap on the side of the carbs, that exposes a screw?

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Simple Green will etch the carbs and cause issues. I read in another thread in General to use the Simple Green "Aerospace" or "Airplane" cleaner. I'll find it and link back.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

The manual will give a dimension for the float to carb surface when the needle is touching the seat. Hold the carb upside down and bend the little tab on the float to adjust it.

I've had good luck using straight Pine-sol to clean carbs, but you don't want to let them soak for more than an hour or so.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. SpeedyE

Thank you!!!!
    Someone local told me if you leave them in to long they turn black.

10. SpeedyE

:) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the factory manual :)

Pinesol in sonic-cleaner? Yes? I will try it.

11. SpeedyE

I have a Big metal can of acetone....I wonder if that could work?

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

No acetone, pinesol should be good.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Acetone will destroy any seals you haven't replaced.

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I just use plain old distilled water plus a few drops of unscented, undyed dish detergent to get rid of surface tension. Takes more cycles in the cleaner, but it won't harm anything, metal, plastic, rubber, etc so you don't have to worry about what parts you forgot to strip out of the carbs before dunking them.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

:) !!!!

17. simmoto

simmoto Member

This is what i use. I tried some ultrasonic cleaner from Tractor Supply but water and dish soap (with the heat turned on) seem to do just as good. It doesn't darken the aluminum either.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Don't bother trying to clean the pilot jets, just replace them. The bores are so tiny and so precise that any remnant plating, or any scarring from rodding them out with piano wire, will noticeably affect the flow rate.

SpeedyE likes this.