1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotator cuff help

Discussion in 'General' started by motoboy, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I had over 50 visits, they kept thinking (or hoping) PT would help enough. A coupe of cute therapist there so I didn't mind too much.

2. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

I had the same pt for both surgeries. I'd softly sing that Mellencamp song
    Cmon Christina
    make it hurt so good
    therapy ain't supposed to feel good
    you make it hurt so good.

It was well worth the effort as I recovered about 95% range of motion

3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Actually a good bit better. No idea why. I haven't had a chance to change anything yet.

4. David-imoddavid

good to hear

motoboy likes this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I used an Aircast, ice/water shoulder cast connected to the cooler and pump. It helped a lot right after surgery. It was a little uncomfortable but well worth it.

David-imoddavid likes this.
  6. motoboy

I go in for my MRI tomorrow. There has been no improvement. Although I have gotten 2 or 3 good nights of sleep thanks to this and the insomnia thread. :beer:

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

had bicep tear at top of attachment at the shoulder, tore the rotator cuff, and the labrum, last spring. was a nasty amount of damage. told my ortho surgeon, i am too old to worry about scars, i am going to continue to ride, race, live hard, open me up (meaning not do the entire surgery through the tiny arthroscopic holes).

he listened, added extra anchors etc... told me the most important thing was to follow the stretching protocols from the very first day after surgery. i did, and i did all the pt, and then some. the physical therapists were impressed with my range of motion, strength etc... at 8-10 weeks but, told me, not to over do it, and to understand you wont know what you have for range, strength, pain etc... until a year after surgery.

i am a bit over a year out, and i can honestly say i am 95% + normal in that joint & muscle groups affected, pre-injury. (never normal anywhere else :D )

good luck, choose a great surgeon, not a good one. hit up Stan if you have the means. Ski

8. David-imoddavid

sooo, what's up moto?

9. motoboy

I fell fast asleep in the tube. :cool:

And go to the doctor Wednesday to talk about the findings.

The cool thing is that HR tells me that for medical issues, I get one day off with full pay for every month with the company. I've been here 14 years! So no FMLA, short term disability or any of that if I need surgery.

10. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

@StanTheMan - do you have any insight into a Neurosurgeon named Fukushima? My HFS has been very active tha last couple of weeks.

11. motoboy

Turns out I have a torn bicep tendon, bone spurs and a few other issues that I don't understand. Ganglia, etc. Going in for outpatient orthroscopic 27 Aug and I start PT 28 Aug and should be back to work in 2-4 weeks. Not too bad.

12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Does she use JB Weld and Ti ???

13. motoboy

done. The cathatrr for the block was the worst pain I have ever felt. And I almost married 3 girls from Slabtown, SC! . Just numb now.

14. skidooboy

Not a fan of the nerve block, or the pain associated with it. Last surgery, I requested no nerve block for that reason. to me, the block is like a light switch, one second you feel no pain, then somewhere in the time range, IT JUST STOPS WORKING COMPLETELY, leaving you to fend with oral pain meds, behind the pain curve.

For me, a pain pump, or good ole standard local anesthetic both "ween down" and you can feel, you need to start your pain management oral drugs.

Glad the surgery is over for you, now the real work starts, MAKE SURE TO DO YOUR PT STRETCHES, as soon as they say you can. I believe that to be the most important part of getting your range of motion back to as near normal as possible. Those that wait, due to fear, or "it hurts too much" will struggle with range of motion. once you lose the option, there really is not much chance of "getting more".

Good luck, keep us updated.

On a side note, my non surgical shoulder is now giving me fits, it has partially dislocated a few times, in the last few weeks, while riding dirt bikes (at least we figured out how to put it back in OUCH). I will have that one worked up for repair too. probably in the same boat as you, come October or November. Ski

motoboy likes this.
  15. motoboy

Thanks! Going for my 1st PT in 2 hours.

16. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Been dogged by gradually intensifying shoulder pain, since hearing a 'pop' in the gym about 6 years ago.
    Pain was affecting my sleep, so recently decided to take action.
    My chiropractor performed a gradual sequence of Graston-technique manipulation, which has dramatically reduced the pain & discomfort. Additionally, my GP referred me for an ultrasound eval.

Just received the ultrasound report: "Full thickness supraspinatus tendon tear." Ugh.

Time to seriously consider my options. I'm 55, moderately active weekend-warrior desk jockey type.
    I'd really like to be able to hoist things over my head again, and play catch with my baseball-player son.
    Maybe toss a football around with my pals.
    Fack.

17. skidooboy

I was in your position, last year at 52. all i can say for my situation is, GLAD I DID IT. pain, strength, range of motion all in tact. the surgery and subsequent PT, recovery and time to heal sucked but, i am pain free in the surgical shoulder. understand, it isnt a fast healing process, the PT people told me, you really wont know all you have or dont have for one full year. i scoffed at that notion but, found they were right. it was about a year for full recovery to what i believe is, was 100%.

DOO IT! Ski

18. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Welp...I waffled, hemmed, & hawed for about as long as I could.
    Got tired of running away, decided I REALLY didn't want to spend the rest of my days like this.

Surgery is scheduled for Weds 12/8.
    I guess Christmas came a bit early.

skidooboy likes this.
  19. skidooboy

good luck to you, do the PT stretches, the first day after surgery, and keep up with your stretching throughout pt at the office, and healing.

you need to get as much range of motion as you can as soon as you can (without tearing the surgery repair apart)... whatever you get, is what you get. dont wimp out, and end up with a frozen shoulder, or reduced range of motion.

i am about 18 months out on mine, and have ZERO pain, and 100% range of motion, the same i had, pre-injury, and close to the same strength, pre-injury. still working on that. :D

now i need to decide, if i want to get the other one done. ;) Ski