1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Cool!

I would've been a week into it now, but got a job extension thru 7/31 (4/30 was the original end date). Hoping to do entire TAT next summer.

baconologist likes this.
  2. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I got lucky on the Yamaha Tenere 700 because my dealer is great. They are the oldest Yamaha dealer in the US and I've been faithful since moving to New Mexico 13 years ago, and they treat me real good. Anyway, looks like I'll be selling my setup Husqvarna 701. The T7 is about 80# heavier but it handles well, goes down the highway more comfortably and it's got that Yamaha reliability built in. The motor is a detuned CP2 which gives it torque that's always there. This will be a good Baja and Alaska bike, as soon as North America opens back up.

ducnut and roy826ex like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

4. duggram

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If you read the article, its a whole bunch of stuff beyond just paint.

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I pick my T7 up Saturday, super pumped about it! Me and my Local dealer messed up my PDP so ever since I’ve been scouring the country for one. Found this one 3 states over:D headed out after a little work tomorrow and burn down about 400 of the 523 miles in the Duramax. Grab some sleep and be their when they open at 9 am Saturday.

#401 :) exact color I wanted. I’ve been turned down all week calling all over the country until I hit pay dirt late today with this beauty. With current world events I’m not so sure 2nd wave deliveries will even happen later this year. I paid about a grand to much but the hell with it I’ve wanted this bike for 4 years now!

Attached Files:

cha0s#242, motion and duggram like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s just Yamaha-branded accessories:

•skid plate with toolbox mounting point
    •aluminum radiator protector
    •aluminum chain guard
    •rally seat
    •Akrapovic slip-on exhaust
    •LED signals
    •grip pads
    •off-road handlebar grips

Outside of the color, I don’t see anything there worth mentioning.

It should’ve come with higher quality suspension and cruise control, IMO. Those two items are premium additions worth paying more for.

8. duggram

I think cruise control would take too much on these bikes because they aren't ride by wire. If you look at the McCruise CC for the MT-07/T700 they require a servo unit to manage additional throttle cables. It's the most expensive kit they offer. So I have a throttle lock on mine.

ducnut likes this.
  9. duggram

Nice looking bike. I sure like mine. Are you getting a kit with it? I got the rally kit and finished putting it on today. I also got the Outback Mototek pannier racks and T7Rally tail tidy (big mistake). I've also ordered the screen height adjuster from T7Rally which I look forward to having to deal with the buffeting. Tomorrow I get into a good off road ride for the first time. Looking forward to see what this bike will be like in the dirt. I already know that for me it's sweet on the asphalt. This will be a good traveling bike.

roy826ex likes this.
  10. roy826ex

Thanks! No kits, I’m going to keep it minimal on this one. To keep the weight down. I’ll be changing out the muffler to something lighter. Ditching the ugly rear fender for something smaller and simpler. Big orange blinkers gotta go to for something smaller and LED. Probably get the gadget to connect the seat halves together to be able to remove it as one piece. I’m really thinking of not doing a centerstand either. Risky with tube type tires I know but I’m leaning towards that little aluminum prop thing sold for a flat repair.

I hate the Pirelli rally Str stock tires already ran a set on my Africa Twin. 2500 miles out of the rear and they sucked off road. Leaning towards the Michelin wilds or Bridgestone AX41s. As for a tail rack I’m looking small and aluminum from Adventure Spec. Probably take a while to get it since it’s overseas. Light weight small wolfman tank bag up front. No crash bars or big heavy skid plate. If I do go skid plate it’ll be the light weight Adventure Spec Unit which is little thicker than oem.

I don’t have extreme off road plans but just enough to do so more comfortably on the T7 than my heavier tall suspended Africa Twin.

If the T7 suspension is as bad or worse than the oem Africa Twin Showa stuff was I’ll add Ohlins on it like I did the Africa Twin. I’m keeping the Africa Twin (got it setup good) with 90/10 Bridgestone A41s on it and that’s my travel bike since I have the oem panniers for it. Plus it’s DCT and built for easy riding.

No travel trips planned on the T7. But if I do it’ll be a soft bag setup yet to be determined.

11. duggram

That all sounds good. You obviously are going to be more hooligan than me. I forgot to mention that I have the Camel high fender kit coming. New Mexico has some horrible clay that when wet can ruin your day. Probably not something you would need. I'm heading up to Silverton CO next week to ride the passes in the San Juans all week. I'd like to take the T7 because I think it would be great but I'd bet the 300 Husky is going to win out. Best of luck and please post up pics as you get your bike built.

roy826ex likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that. I guess, I won’t ever own one, then.

13. roy826ex

lol nah not much on the hooligan side anymore. Just want to keep the weight down and take some off where I can. Weight and size is my main reason for pursuing this bike. I’m not a big fellow and all these years on ADV bikes I’ve suffered from their immense size and weight. Finally something gets built worth a crap with decent power in the 450# range.

Cool on the fender I like that kit but it wouldn’t be anything but looks for me in this part of the world. MS has plenty of mud and clay but I don’t even ride off road here much if any. North Georgia, TN and North Carolina is where I spend most my off road time. It’s not real muddy up there for the most part. More rockier than anything but even with that I don’t venture into anything I personally cannot handle on my own. No daredevil spirit in me these days just common sense. These are still heavy bikes at the end of the day.

Owning a dirtbike in MS is a dead end road and I sold my last one last year. Just no where to ride here. You live in a riders paradise out west. I love it out in Utah and SW Colorado.

duggram likes this.
  14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Any word on the transmission in the T7? Is it the same as the FZ/MT07?

15. roy826ex

The whole engine is the same so I’ve read except for FI mapping, air box and cam timing.

duggram and renegade17 like this.
  16. duggram

Do you have problems with the other 7 transmissions? I can compare the T7 to my 701. It's more positive and I have not missed a shift yet but with the 701 it can happen.

roy826ex likes this.
  17. roy826ex

Yea I’m curious to. I’m about to plop down $11.8k on this thing. Last thing I need is a crap transmission. I’ve read a little about the Fz/MT o7s with missed shifts and what not. Most had 15k miles plus and were kinda beat on by the owners from what I gathered.

18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

They can be a little rough at times. My bike has 5 ish thousand miles on it and in a 2-300 mile day of spirited riding it will miss a few shifts when relying on the QS. Normal clutch in clutch out shifting is fine. The tuners i believe are shimming them to avoid missing shifts. I dont think i would walk away from the bike but it might be something that might come along down the road.

roy826ex likes this.
  19. roy826ex

Well I drove the 1000+ miles Friday into Saturday and picked the bike up. It’s everything I expected and more. Yamaha quality is excellent on this bike. I’ve only rode it a few miles and it’s very smooth.

Ordered the Leo Vince all black slip on muffler for it on way back home. Should drop 3.5 lbs off with that. Removed the passenger pegs which were another lb or two. Seat strap removed as well. It’s the perfect weight and size bike for me. Finally a company built something ADV worth a crap in my size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    doppio, gt#179, renegade17 and 2 others like this.
  20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Congrats on the new bike.
    I’m test riding a 2014 Triumph tiger explorer on Tuesday. If it checks out, I’m probably taking it home. Anybody aware of any glaring reliability issues or other gremlins? I want in on the ADV/tourer segment so badly.