1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have time warmers; should I go DOT race?

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jun 24, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Not looking for tire/compound recommendations. But which is better for a new racer who isn't pushing the tires' envelope?

a) simplicity of street tires and no maintenance other than psi
    b) the relative non-simplicity of race tires/warmers

I'm a track day rider who's done all of my track days on street tires. No complaints using them.

I'm looking to join in the racing fun. I have no aspirations other than to enjoy some spirited competition.

Again, not looking for tire/compound recommendations. Just whether or not I should begin making use of the tire warmers I have. Or sell them.

A friend runs warmers/race tires and -- though he and I have our differences in riding style (and aggressiveness) -- his bike just seems to "sticks" the corners, imo.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What bike?

Kev59 likes this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Warmers and better tires.

In the heat of battle you may push too much and a crash ALWAYS costs more than tires. ALWAYS.

badmoon692008 and DmanSlam like this.
  4. DmanSlam

I have a 2006 and a 2007 GSXR 600 (both track).

5. DmanSlam

Makes sense. Thought about that too.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You have the warmers, use them.

You gotta buy tires anyway, if you’re going to race...:D

Good luck Mike.

DmanSlam likes this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Track days - warmers not required. Take a few laps and build heat in them.

Racing - you will get sucked into the competition from the moment the flag drops. Warmers required? Technically, no. From a sound and reasonable standpoint? Absolutely needed. You will not get a race DOT or slick up to temp in the 1 warmup lap you get before the race starts. The surest way to build resentment to racing is to tuck the front on lap one, turn 1 because of a cold front tire on your first ever race.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

are you Steven Isenhower??
    If not then since you own them... use warmers.
    Hopefully you have a calibrated or benchmarked tire gauge so all is not in vain.

DmanSlam, Kev59, RRP and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't sell the warmers (unless you NEED the money). You will eventually need them.

Do you need them now with a trackday bike and street tires? Man, that's a tough call but I'd say no. But once you do what Dan said, not his suggestion of both of you taking off you shirts, stripping down to your tighty whities, criscoing up and greco roman wrestling but using better tires and you start going faster you might just need and really want to use the warmers.

I think John H killed it with his post. Listen to him. . . until he goes all coo coo for cocoa puffs and you will know when he does, that's when you don't listen to him. and he will. :D

DmanSlam and TurboBlew like this.
  10. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Everyone is spot on here. Use warmers! Nothing worse then worrying if your tires are up to temp before you enter turn 1 WFO. You will be replacing tires more then you ever did at a TD and running slicks will last a little longer then DOT. I raced 1 time with a DOT and 3-4 laps in the tire was so greasy I couldn't touch the throttle and lap times dropped significantly. Once you experience the level of grip a slick is capable of, you will never go back!

11. DmanSlam

Funny! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Seriously, though, I think everyone's been spot on with their input. This is an easy decision.

Newyork likes this.
  12. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

My buddy just made the jump from Pirelli Track Day tires to SC1/SC2 slick combo and he dropped 3 seconds first day on them...said they feel amazing. You are about to have the same experience it seems. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Racing is a completely different mindset. If you don't have the pace to push street tires on a trackday...just be prepared to leave your ego at the gate and learn how to go quicker. We all have to start somewhere..,read the rule book, prep your bike, attend some races. It would also help to just go TO a race weekend and spend time learning how the process works so you can be prepared. Ask questions...most racers are more than willing to help out a noob.

As far as your initial question goes...get better tires and use warmers if you are going to race. No need to add in sketchy tire grip to the noob equation.:D

BTW....I will be at this weekends STT trackday at Barber. Look for the black Street Triple instructing in novice group...more than happy to help you however I can.

TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Use the warmers.

Even if you aren't worried about yourself you could take out one of your friends out there costing them thousands and missed work, trouble walking, etc.

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I would add the clarification, there's a big difference between a DOT tire and a Race DOT. A full Race DOT (like the Michelin Power Cup EVO or whatever the new one is called) is going to be basically identical to the slick, and last and feel very very similar. The same can not be said about something like a Dunlop Q4 or a Michelin Power RS.

TurboBlew, wheelz96 and DmanSlam like this.
  16. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I've been running Pirelli TD's on my SV650 the last couple months. I really like them. But at the Wera round at Barber in 10 days, I plan to step up to slicks (might as well, since I'm guessing most others will be on slicks). I'm very excited about trying them. The TD's already have so much grip that I can't imagine even a slick having that much more.

Newyork and DmanSlam like this.
  17. DmanSlam

I just noticed my typo in the title.: time [for] warmers?
    Thanks @badmoon692008. Yes, I think the responders knew what I meant. But your clarification certainly doesn't hurt. Perhaps street tires vs race tires is a better distinction to use(?)

18. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I was referring to a std DOT. The race DOT usually recommend warmers anyways. My experience was with a SP V2 Pirelli that I used in a race because track was damp. It lost all grip after a few laps and wasn't even close to a slick getting greasy. You are correct tho to clarify.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Remember, the proper tires and using the warmers properly is always cheaper than orthopedic surgeons.