1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better frame for zx600 1989?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by frasermanx, Jun 19, 2020.

1. frasermanx

frasermanx New Member

Oem Kawasaki 1989 frame too heavy. Looking for much lighter suitable for track days. Any suggestions? Forks wheels brakes suspension already replaced with semi race bits.

[email protected]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Didn't Kawasaki make a lighter all aluminum frame for that generation Ninja... the RX???

3. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I believe the RX was only (1st Gen Ninja 600). Yes it was Aluminum.
    The 89 Ninja 600 went with a different frame design, with the (1989 GPX 600) although I also believe the GPZ was sold through 1989-90?
    Locating an aluminum frame might prove to be difficult as it was only 1,000 brought into the United States.
    I'm not too sure show the engine architecture differences from the GPS to the GPZ but if you have a GPZ there is your answer find an RX AKA (limited edition) slum frame.
    If you're looking to swap the motor into another chassis well I'm sure you know what's involved with that .
    If you're handy and fabrication I'm sure anything is possible. If it's a labor of love and hold sentimental value do as you wish if you're just looking for a race bike you're probably better off buying another complete better handling more powerful 600 they're dirt cheap these days.

evakat and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A roller R6 of the 2006+ vintage?? Would get you everything... forks, stock clipons, swingarm, shock, wheels w/ rotors, subframe, fairing stay. Put your motor in and youre off. :D

frasermanx likes this.
  5. frasermanx

frasermanx New Member

If I was looking for a roller I think I would look for 250 race bike of the 70's or 80's

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. This old Rz

You ain't ever gonna fit that motor into any 250 racebike that I know if.
    My RZ350 engine is 1/2 the size of a 80s Inline 4 Kawi engine, and the RZ motor barley fits. Up to 89TZs or Honda NSRs... After that a RZs crankcases need to be cut shortened and welded in order to fit into a TZ from 1990 on... So IMO...ever will that idea work.
    However my first swap that comes to mind would be an fz600 or an fz400 both those bikes just handle awesome. The 8687 SE with a 16 in front that thing was great man and the 400 are even better and I'm sure you could fit that Cowley lump in there cuz I seen a couple with CBR900RRmotors stuffed in them.... You just missed out on one that's been for sale here for months that would have been perfect for you.... Keep your eyes peeled that would be my recommendation if you were to pursue the project if you already have a frame I would not even think about a frame swap not at all I wouldn't give it a second thought for nothing.... Unless of course you can score a RX600 Ninja frame.! Then that would be cool.
    The 85 ninja 600 is the very first bike I will ever wanted I ended up with an rz350 cuz my credit wasn't good enough for the Ninja, what I've always wanted that ninja I almost bought one last year for $1,400 it was in pretty good shape red and white with a Yoshimura pipe just like I remember one of these days if one comes along at that price I'm going to claim it!???

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have a spare FZ600 frame I could let go cheap. The weak point on those is the suspension and if you already have that worked out it could be a pretty decent trackday bike. I actually have the entire bike in pieces so you could have whatever parts you would need to make a complete track bike.
    PM me.

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Simplified frame swap instructions:

Step 1: Place motorcycle on stands.
    Step 2: Remove oil filler plug from 1989 Ninja.
    Step 3: Lower bike off stands.
    Step 4: Roll bike out of workspace.
    Step 5: Roll in complete track prepped motorcycle with better frame.
    Step 6: Remove oil filler plug from new bike.
    Step 7: Replace with oil filler plug from old bike*
    Step 8: Go race new bike.

*Oil filler plug may need to be modified or replaced to fit new bike.

Seriously, swapping your engine into a different frame is almost always way more complicated than it looks if the engine is not a direct replacement. Ask me how I know.

9. cf

cf Well-Known Member

This right here. Unless you like fiddling and futzing in the shop instead of riding it makes no sense to do this unless you just love the engine that much. And even then, may as well get more suitable bike 'just to ride' while you play with reframing something for the next few years...

10. This old Rz

I was trying to be polite but bluntly the post above says it all.
    Unless you like that engine or you have sentimental attachment to the bike it's an expensive endeavor it will likely take you two years to complete on average and sort out and work the bugs out.
    GUYS ARE SELLING FULLY RACE TRACK READY SV650S ON HERE FOR $2,500 OR LESS!!!!

evakat likes this.