1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight dual sport??

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

So whoever is still here after the great banning of 2020 im looking for opinions on a lightweight dualsport.
    I'm looking for something to throw onto the back of my Jeep for camping/overland trips. I drive down to Cabo San Lucas a few times a year in the jeep and would love to have just a simple bike to ride around town once I'm there. Two up riding is a plus but not necessary.

Whats the opinions on a Yamaha TW200? Or the WR250r? The wr might be cool to add a set of supermoto wheels for hooligan type suburbia riding.

2. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Ktm 500 EXC-F!
    I bought one last year for our annual Baja trip & I love it, it’s a motocross bike with lights. I keep it in my trailer with me while traveling around & I’ll use it to go cruising around. It will run highway speeds without a problem & is a blast to ride. The others you mentioned don’t have enough power to get out of their own way & are tapped out around 50-55 mph.

racerx13 likes this.
  3. Wingnut

Needs to be able to go on an Ultimate MX carrier. So flat bottom frame cradle and bolt through footpegs.

Attached Files:

4. jeremy dunn

It will do that with no issues

5. jeremy dunn

6. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Grom with dual sport tires?

7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

what kinda Jeep do you have that you think a Dual Sport will fit in the back ? ...

8. Wingnut

See post #3. Thats my Jeep Rubicon with my KTM Supermoto on the back. Again I'm using the Ultimate MX Hauler hitch mounted carrier and whater ever LW Dual Sport I buy will have to work with that carrier so I don't thinka Grom will work. Plus I'm 6ft and 235lbs so I wouldn't rideor fit on a Grom anyway.

9. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Xt225.. Not a full cradle but may work. Cheap, simple, lighter than any other "full size rider" ds.

10. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

wr250 runs and runs does most things well,

11. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I’d go KTM 450/500 exc or CRF450L. Both plated from factory.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Hey, you got a fender! :)

To the OP: For a light weight dual sport, I would lean to a 250. 4t Aircooled probably wont save you much weight, so something like a WR250R, CRF250L, KLX300 (I think they are street legal). But then again, after spending a few weeks in Baja over the last two years that street legal is a social construct. I would at a minimum have a headlight and tail light, then a mirror, brakelight, and turn signals (in that order). Life is pretty slow down there (as you know) so big power isn't necessary (but highly advised for hooning on the beach).

As a Yamaha fanboi, I would target a wr250f, then r, then a WR450 (because sand), then a Honda 250, then 450, then whatever alphabet soup KTM 250 (EXC? XCF-W), to 350, to 450, and 500. And then Husqvarna in the same breath as KTM because they are enough the same for us plebeians. And after that MAYBE a Kawasaki.

13. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I've had a Suzuki DR200 for 17 years and it has been a great bike, very easy to ride for almost anyone, and pretty light weight. Only downside is it is not fuel-injected (even the current year) so if it sits for a while the pilot jet clogs, doesn't seem like fuel treatment helps much because the jet is so small. But if you run it reasonably often it's great. The recent years Yamaha XT225 are fuel injected but will cost you a lot more than a used DR200. We have DR400s too but they are a LOT taller and heavier.

I looked around recently for a replacement for the DR200, wanting fuel injection, but after comparing with what else is out there I ended up not seeing any reason not to just keep riding the one I have, it still looks and runs like new.

83BSA likes this.
  14. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Caveat on the DR200 - if you are going to be in deep sand, it will struggle, is just doesn't have that kind of horsepower. But it's comfortable and easy to ride for around-town on street and dirt roads, low seat height and light weight.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wr250, DRZ 200, XL200 all good choices. For some hipster chic I would look at 70's early 80's enduro 2T, DT 250 - 400, or maybe KDX 200+ Plus the older bikes may be less likely to ride off on their own in Cabo, or the drive down....

16. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Honda CR230's are very good for around-town and trails. Wide-ish bars, comfy, and decent speed.

You can't really fault the TW200, either, but I'm sure someone will.

17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Sorry , I missed that post some how . Never saw a carrier like that, how do you get the bike up there ? Manually lift it ?
    Edit : never mind .. I just watched the video

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

I just got a husky fe350. Rode around on cross tires but I’d consider it the perfect dual sport. Got Grunt and is light.

19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

DR200 or XT225

Cheers

Dave

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Or CRF230

Cheers

Dave