1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to race by starting in classes with smaller fields

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DmanSlam, Jun 18, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Somewhere I posted and asked this question albeit a bit differently. But I cannot find my old post. If I'm wanting to race in classes that have smaller fields, which classes are best based on the following requirements?
    • WERA Sportsman Series
    • Superstock novice or superbike novice classes
    • Displacements of 300-400cc --or-- 750cc
    • Senior classes

That's what I've narrowed down based on watching the WERA sprint races 2 weekends ago.

I already have two 600 track-ready bikes. But kind of want to avoid the 600 class initially. Seems crowded, everyone has a 600cc, I'm kind of past the adrenaline-laden and risk-taking competitiveness at the moment although I can turn back to the dark side when the spirit moves me. :)

I tend to look at 600 classes in the same vein as Cat 5 road cycling (sometimes called the "meat grinder" class due to plenty of contact and crashes). May not be a fair comparison.

I will probably race the 600s at some point but, for now, it's fine for doing track days.

Last, I don't need two 600s so I'm wanting to trade one for a bike that meets the above requirements. Will be posting shortly.

2. DmanSlam

I meant to post this in the Information for New Racers section. Can an admin move this for me? @Mongo ??

3. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

You can race your 600 in the BSS, BSB, and F2 classes. They typically have much smaller fields then C classes and then you don't even need to sell one of your bikes. I just switched to C class this year from A and there are certainly more bikes but that also ensures good racing no matter if your racing for 1st or 17th.

I prefer the larger class and find it can get boring if you race against smaller fields and it spreads out...

j cal, DmanSlam and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id be more fearful of senior yellow plate than any other classes. Seemed like alot more fellas riding beyond their talent levels than the C or B classes by far.

DmanSlam and wheelz96 like this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I don’t think you can run (I assume) a 600 I4 in F2 (unless it’s air cooled)...

unless you’re Ben Probst and lie about it being a destroked 600/565.

wheelz96 likes this.
  6. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I did not check rule book for F2. I assumed it was C class machinery but you are correct.

Well then, not F2 but Senior Middleweight (if over age 40) would be a 3rd class he can run with lower grid sizes...

DmanSlam likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Just sign up and go get it over with. It's not that big of a deal. If you've raced minis already....same same.

They're going to combine like novice and expert fields into one larger grid at the start, and like any other race, the field
    will spread out after the first lap or so and it's not as close from there. Ride your best ride you can, and let the timing and scoring
    take care of itself from there.

Wheel Bearing and DmanSlam like this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what region are u in? that affects field sizes per class, especially for novice classes.

CSB is only a meat grinder class when you are faster than a good number of racers and get a good start.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. DmanSlam

I did consider the 'boring' factor and will re-assess once I get in a race or two. I'll need to watch another WERA event (or CCS even though classes are likely different).

10. DmanSlam

"Older but (not) wiser"? Noted! :)

11. DmanSlam

True @D-Zum

Mini racing is mostly tight racing. And thinking back on @wheelz96 preference, this has me reconsidering. Still, it's good to know where the smaller classes are.

12. DmanSlam

I agree that region affects rider turnout. I'm in the Mid-atlantic region (Md/WVa/Va).

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

What years are your 600s? Honestly I wouldn't sweat the C classes. I 'grew up' in those classes, and yeah, there were some epic moments in those races, but it was only as exciting as I felt like pushing. If there's a rider that seems a bit too excited for you - back off and give him space. Nothing forcing you to swap paint with him.

wheelz96 likes this.
  14. DmanSlam

Good advice, @Wheel Bearing. I have implemented that advice at track days.

My bikes are 2006 and 2007. Just bought the 2007 less than a month ago (pictured). Needs the tank cleaned, a check-over and freshen-up. But my 2006 was the one I recently had the suspension work done on.
    01515_exxQ8WELayI_600x450.jpg

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I started in the 600 classes (still here actually) and had pretty good experiences. Can't speak to incident rate compared to other classes but it's not mad max out there.

I had similar concerns as you though and starting from the back of the grid is helpful to start. Allows you to put everyone in front of you into T1 and such. Not exactly a winning approach but it helped me get through the nerves a bit to start.

DmanSlam likes this.
  16. DmanSlam

Thanks. I'm probably overthinking the "crowded" classes a bit. If you've ever done pack road racing in cycling's beginner classes, you'll know the carnage that typically ensues.

Like your sig. :)

mpusch likes this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

The best spare parts box is a complete bike. No need to sell one. Keep them both and race it/them.

Wheel Bearing and DmanSlam like this.
  18. DmanSlam

I definitely agree with you there.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yes and no, from my experience. Loved having two bikes and hated it at the same time. If I were to try and keep two bikes to race both of them? Pain in the ass. If I was keeping one as a rain bike or a rolling chassis of sorts for parts alone? I could see that. There are definitely things a spare bike can provide that no reasonable parts bin could replicate. Little brackets, fairings, shit like that.

If you have a regular trailer and limited cabinets, you can reach a point where your spares packing/storing becomes a pain and it's easier to just wheel a second bike in there (assuming you have the space for it). It's a pain in the ass to maintain two race bikes if you want intend to actually race them both on a frequent basis. Well, I think it's a pain to keep two race ready bikes in race ready condition to my standard. I've seen what some of you race...it's embarrassing. You know who you are. Wheels that haven't been cleaned in 3 seasons and shit. :D

Most I had was racing 3 different bikes in a normal weekend. Way too much. Fun to jump around, but was hard to be at 100% my best constantly changing seats.

For what it's worth, I'm back to a single bike program. Over the last 8 years I've figured out what spares are most important, and will fix the rest with safety wire and zip ties. And if I can't do that, quite frankly, I probably wadded my shit up (and possibly myself) bad enough that I shouldn't keep riding that weekend anyways.

gapman789 and SuddenBraking like this.
  20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

All true....Since im just a 'trackday' racer now, i've been taking 3 fully prepped bikes to the tracks. 600, 750, and 1000. Some tracks i just prefer a different/smaller/bigger bike.

At a 3 day wknd at jennings 2 yrs ago, i had 2 of the bikes develop issues...Leaking fork leg and malfunctioning QS. So was down to 1 bike. Sure i could have rode without the QS but no way i could've won. :)

But yea, prepping 3 bikes, 3 sets of tire changes, 3 sets of suspension freshenings, spares for 3 bikes, 6 stands, 3 pairs of warmers.....etc, can suck at times. But i enjoy it. I am down to 2 track bikes now though.