1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.56... sold out everywhere?

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I bought about 4k of 5.56 55 grain back in Dec. Then found local guy selling about 5k of 50 grain as he was getting ready to take a new job assignment shortly after that.

Cheaperthandirt.com had some fmj brass last month.

I just gifted a few .40 Glocks to family members back in NJ as they couldn't even find a gun to buy recently. Shipped out all the remaining .40 ammo that i had to them.

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Ammoseek was great. Led me to midway.com, where I've bought lots of stuff before. Prices have obviously gone up. Wish I had bought all of this a month ago. I plan on shooting a few hundred between me and my family, then storing the rest.

I'm no stranger to guns and such. I've just stepped away for a few years. All this sh*t going on has brought me back to it. I have an AR-10, long range style, along with a 308 hunting rifle. I love magnum revolvers and load my own except for 9mm. Got several different 308 loads based on what I'm doing. I'd consider loading 556 but reloading components are just as scarce now, plus reloading semi-auto rifle is a PITA with having to trim the cases. I'm not running low on the things like primers, which is what most are. Still got lots of powder for all my calibers. Just ordered about a 1000 different bullets yesterday.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

In the middle of building my first AR(and have another lower on the way). I too need to stock up on ammo for it. Thankfully I have friends that have stockpiles I can probably liberate from.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I have no friends, at least local. You bastards are the closest thing I got. :p Thankfully I really enjoy the company of my wife and kids. My son is pretty well skilled with the shooting and guns, but my wife and daughter have just done basic shooting. Time to spend some more detailed time with them.

j cal and Wingnut like this.
  5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We can’t get any besides hunting rounds and dealer cost over a buck a round. We are going to a local loader to get handgun amp just to sell right now.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I shop daily for it (my first AR is sitting in boxes waiting for my buddy to get back in town and assemble for me). Local stores have it, but it's either steel case at 25 cents a round that the ranges here won't allow or brass at 40 cents. I got a bit of each just to try the gun out but will wait until more sane sane case pricing returns.

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What all has to be assembled on it? And brass at .40/round actually sounds pretty decent as long as it's not absolute bottom of the barrel. I've always shot federal/american eagle and lake city and it's usually around .40-.45/round (pre-panic buying craziness).

8. Tristan

It's a PSA kit and Anderson lower. Buddy says 15 minutes to put it together.
    The brass ammo I got is Frontier 55 grain 5.56 in 150 round boxes for 39 cents per. Came across some house branded steel case at Field and Stream that was like 22 cents but has *mixed* reviews...

9. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

look on youtube, there are plenty of videos that show you how to assemble it. Buy some armorers tools and assemble it a first time builder can prob do it in less then an hr. It's good to know how to take it all down, and having the tools are nice for any future builds.

Wolf ammo is back to around $199 per 1k rounds of 5.56 . I wouldn't spend on brass unless you are reloading it or keeping to to sell.

redtailracing likes this.
  10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Gotcha. I'm not very familiar with PSA kits so I'm not sure how assembled/disassembled they come. I'd almost try to look it up online and do it myself just because it'll teach you everything about how the gun operates and make future maintenance, repair, and modification easier. The only exception to this would be if you had to mess with a barrel nut or muzzle device. Muzzle device is easy enough but if you don't have a receiver vice, it's hard to do correctly. Barrel nut is too easy to make a very bad mistake with so even with as much as I've messed with guns, I don't attempt those anymore. Everything else is a walk in the park though, especially compared to working on a motorcycle.

Never bought Frontier myself but my buddy uses it on occasion and it seems decent enough. I personally won't touch steel case. Yea I know, if it won't eat steel, it doesn't deserve brass. And I'm sure my shit would chew through steel just fine. But I also won't run the cheapest parts I can find on a motorcycle either even though it would probably work. I just don't feel like cleaning up after steel.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That gun will fire .223 also. All 556's can shoot .223. 556 is a bit hotter of a load though so you cannot fire 556 ammo in all .223 gins unless you build it that way. I only buy .223 ammo to mitigate problems.

12. Tristan

Sounds logical and all, but I already play with my life racing a bike that I worked on. Plus, my friend has all the tools and has built a bunch of them. I'd rather watch him do it.

13. Tristan

I was aware, and it does seem like .223 is slightly more available and cheaper.

14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Topside gun warehouse

on Facebook or yellow pages

my son runs the place and they make ammo. Last night he was talking about running about 25000 rounds of it. Give him a call. His name is kane

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I am currently 6 weeks in on a wait for a 16” 5.56 Nato complete upper to complete an AR build I have going on right now. I hope to have the upper in another week or so fingers crossed.

I need more ammunition but it’s not a good time to buy. Out of stock and what’s in stock is priced to high. Panic buying caused this.

16. Math problem overcome by accuracy and planning.

17. Well placed .308 shots work too (hypothetically) if that fails I have a kel tec plr with a full 100 round mag and 2 40’s full. Not very accurate but good closer range in case you miss longer range shots.

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Antifa like weapons chambered in 7.62x39, I even saw some of them at a range recently. Battlefield pickups for me. :D

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And if you can line them up it is actually more economical. A FMJ 308 will go thru several people...:D

969 likes this.
  20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I'm not a dope. My SKS likes the steel crap OK, but likes my handloads way better. I have actually hunted with it and killed stuff.