1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer floor paint

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Jun 16, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I need to re paint my trailer floor. It has held up pretty good for about 5 years but i think i'm gonna re coat it today. Last time i used Glidden Gripper but i'm thinking about going with something specific for decks our outdoor wood this time around. Anyone have a product that they recommend for this? Gotta be a painter on here somewhere right?

2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

epoxy is nice. But since you already have paint down...if you dont remove it you are only sticking your floor to the old paint.....

For that reason i would just use paint again and if you got 5 years out of it the last time...why not try it again?

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Also interested in this, except I don't have any paint on the surface so I'm starting from scratch. I guess I'll look a bit deeper into epoxy.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Herculiner or similar

6. cpettit

That's my plan. Just not sure if there is a better product out there for the job than the one i used last time.

@rd49 is the herculiner textured? I think i wanna keep the floor smooth for easy cleaning. I may sprinkle a bit o sand on the ramp door for traction though.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It is truck bed liner so not as smooth as paint, but oil and gas resistant.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Glidden Gripper with the added texture is what I used and was going to suggest. Sorry I could be of any help.

9. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I’m doing this for the first tomorrow on an unpainted floor with Valspar porch deck and patio anti-skid latex. I primed it with valspar stain blocking Bonding primer/sealer.

I’ve done some reading on other forums and other than epoxy many have used a deck/porch paint. Some add the grit to the paint and some come with.

I’m gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I used outdoor deck paint (don't recall the brand) and mixed playground sand into it before I painted the inside of my trailer's ramp door. It's held up great for the last almost 10 years and has great grip.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Paint with sand or anti-slip mixed in.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

If you spill any gas or oil on it, it will peel like a banana

13. cpettit

First time around i used Glidden Gripper and it held up very well for 7 years (went back and looked at pics last night to see when i got it). Gonna use Behr Deckover this time around. I painted a cellar door cover at a rental property with it a few years ago and it has held up well in a shady, damp area. It should be fine in a dry trailer. It's thick and gooey and dries like a hard coating. Have a little palyground sand in the garage and will dust the ramp door with it for a little extra traction.

As for the gas and oil. The only spots i found peeling were a few little ones under the D ring tracks that were screwed down to the floor. Maybe some chemicals got under there but where the bikes go it was ok, just some stains (damn dirtbikes make a mess errrywhere).

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Rubber coin flooring. I know a guy selling a kick ass trailer already done......;)

TLR67 likes this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Why not put that interlocking mat down instead?

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The mat idea is nice. But the seams where the tiles interlock let any fluids through to the wood below.

17. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

thanks for the heads up. I’ll see how it goes.

The paint went down ok....I don’t have much to compare it to. My floor is 3/4 OSB Drymax so I put down a second coat because of a few white specks showing from the bonding primer. It’s definitely gripper than the semi-gloss that’s on the walls.

18. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

...add some sand for the grip and voila!

Attached Files:

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Ditto for rubber coin flooring.... Paint looks good..... for a week...