1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA Scorpion Exhausts (Negative Review)

Discussion in 'General' started by Thunderace, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

First, in late 2016 I bought the Hustle Hard 2015 R1 and dealing with Mark was awesome! The bike came with two Scorpion exhausts. In 2018 one of the oxygen sensor bungs blew out of the exhaust.
    Y-Pipe.jpg
    I had to get a titanium patch welded over the hole. The replacement Y-Pipe was over $600, so a $175 welding bill seemed fine. That exhaust was destroyed last year in a crash, so the second exhaust was installed.

Two weeks ago another bung blew out of the second Y-Pipe. After another trip to the welder and a $210 bill, I have a second repaired Y-Pipe.

Ypipe2.jpg

I expect a lot criticism of the weld. This is a crappy little welding place, but there are places that didn't want to touch it in the first place, so I'll deal with how it looks if it holds up like the other one did. The first blow out happened along a bunch of expansion welds which may have weaken the bung weld. This one was right in the middle and should not have had any weak points.

I am very disappointed in this product and would not buy this brand in future. Maybe this is a common occurrence, but I have not data to support that. Anyone have experience with this issue with other brands?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many hours on the pipes before the bung blew out?

Huh, bung blew out, not a phrase I ever thought I'd type out...

418, malik ross, beechkingd and 5 others like this.
  3. Thunderace

Can't say for certain, but probably less than 50 on the second failure. The first had maybe double that

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that seems short. But them again that stuff looks super thin too.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Steel > Titanium is my understanding for exhaust. Titanium being prone to cracking. Seen it firsthand so many times on race bikes might be something to it. But always aftermarket. So maybe oems used thicker stuff?

418 and sdg like this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

FMF Powerbomb exhaust on my brothers KTM 690 did the same thing. Not many hours on it either.

7. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Wow I never seen that happen before. I have a Scorpion slip on my GSXR 750 never had an issue with it, but it’s stainless/carbon.

I would contact Scorpion with this and see what they say. Those systems were more than likely really pricey new so I would assume they would want to make you happen to avoid this from happening lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Better off taking a good dump in the morning to save weight. :)

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Or at least not something you thought you would ever willingly post about on the beeb!

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hindle

:D

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Damn that Welder making Lawyer $$$, and for that weld should be embarrassed... IMO.

Scotty87, Canadian Bacon, sdg and 3 others like this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah but titanium makes more hosepowah. Whoop!

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

As opposed to the alternative?

I hear this kind of stuff often, as if one component in itself makes the difference in weight savings. Paying attention to numerous small details is what nets significant weight savings. I knocked 80 pounds off a 300 ninja by doing that and some of it was by substituting lighter materials but most of it was removing unnecessary weight from what was already there. There was another 10 to 15 pounds that I could've done with a bit more effort too.
    Sure there can be tradeoffs to using lighter materials, but simply trading out lighter materials without accounting for their properties gets things like the problem the OP presented. The exhaust bung is way more solid that the titanium around it, so the thin stuff is going to vibrate and work harden right at the root where the weld meets the tube. If there was no bung there would be no problem. When you're talking about things this light and thin there's less margin for error in fabricating as well. The skill of the welder and the need to completely shield the titanium with Argon while welding is going to play a major factor in how long it lasts. The pretty rainbow color of the repair is an indicator that it wasn't shielded properly but considering the alternative I'd go with it.

Britt likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ll be honest, when I saw this weld my first thought was man, I bet Britt will throw up when he sees this weld, :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hehe I was honestly hoping Britt wouldn't show up. Poor Op is hurting already :p

17. Thunderace

My expectations were not high from the start. If you only saw the office of this place, you would know the expectation of good quality work is not included. If it holds, great. If it doesn't, they said they would fix it for free.

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That's the whole point of using Ti to begin with..

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

That's weird it would blowout at two bungs and not anywhere else, like at a joint. I wonder how their weld process differs between locations.

Maybe tightening O2 sensors or plugs broke/weakened the bung welds.

20. sdg

sdg *

Show us a pic of the back side of that repair

Britt likes this.