1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collecting Unemployment - how does it work? Salary Cut.

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Jun 16, 2020.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Sounds you should eat the redux while dusting off your portfolio and shopping around. No need to be without work while looking. You've heard it before..."its easier to find a job when you already have one".

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was wondering why you had so dramatically reduced your BBS activity since last year. You're obviously confused about what they pay you to do. :crackup:

badmoon692008, BigBird and Alex_V like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If they're lumping you in with the group taking a 15% cut, their view is that you're expendable. I wouldn't tell them jack shit.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You don't ever give notice until you have secured the next position. Assume that they are trying not to lay people off and aren't out to screw you but the moment you say you are leaving they'll go ahead a let you go.

sheepofblue, BigBird, R1M370 and 2 others like this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Supposingly everyone with a salary over X took that same cut. They owe me some internal company stock also, which may take some effort to materialize.

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have always taken the approach that your job was there before you, and it will be there after you are gone. You are an expendable employee. The company does not exist because of you. Your perspective may differ. Good luck! :beer:

Boman Forklift and gapman789 like this.
  8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I completely agree. Expandable I am, but me leaving will still put a stop on alot of things until someone is hired and trained. Wont be a quick thing.

9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Be happy all you had was 15%. I had 100% and my sister who is an executive had to take 20%. I was the #1 Sales guy nationally in my position, Thank's but here is 60 day's is what I got. While your department may be just as busy as usual, the company as a whole may be down and 15% is in lieu of chopping people completely.

If you're seriously that unhappy, start looking for a new job and then give your 30 days notice. Unemployment varies from state to state, but I can assure you, unemployment ain't shit compared to what I was making and/or what I was making minus 15% and I'm guessing the same applies to you if you're making similar based off your title, potential salary cut, and stock options.

Senna likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah, dont go blowing shit up unless you have a new gig. Especially now.

If your pissed already and pissed about a pay cut go looking around.

Good luck.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

AND...don't blow shit up when you leave. Never know when you will be back there saying.....wow the grass wasn't greener.

Senna and YamahaRick like this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I wouldn't. From what I have seen in the past it just gives people an opportunity to screw you. I may have screwed myself by asking to be laid off but I was fishing for a package so that I could take the summer completely off and still have ample spending money. :D

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Why you gotta be like that?:crackup:

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Take a deep breath.
    Take the pay cut.
    Use the anger as incentive to get your new resume & portfolio together.
    The angrier you are about the pay cut, the faster you should get your shit together.
    Line up your appointments, nail the interviews.
    Once you get the offer, then drop the two weeks notice.

Please go here for Exit Interview options.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Alex, let me know when you start taking offers for your Zuma.

16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I was in a similar boat. I also got a pay cut, so I said “screw this noise” and started my job search. I ended up finding a better position. Plus, several of my contacts work there, so I’ll have friendly faces on day one.
    My advice is take the cut and start your search.

evakat likes this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It’s never a good idea.

BigBird likes this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Have they clarified at all when the 15% will be restored? If not that is a fair question. A smart manager will know that means you are not happy about it and realize that you may go looking for better opportunities. I agree to polish up your resume and put it out there. There is always the chance that your shopping will get back to them and they may decide you need to go immediately so be prepared.

19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Regarding unemployment, every state is different and it depends on your salary prior to the reduction.
    Just file and see what happens.
    In most (all?) states, I don’t think the reduction will be enough to warrant receipt of unemployment compensation.
    I was reduced to 20% pay (told to only work 8 hrs per week) and was able to collect Unemployment. People in other states in the same situation weren’t able to collect. Additionally, the $600 weekly from the feds only comes into play if you receive even as little as $1 unemployment. If you don’t qualify for any unemployment, you don’t get the additional $600....at least that’s the way it was in the several states that I’m aware of.
    I was bounced back up to 70% pay and unemployment ended.

20. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I was given the choice between a 10% pay cut and 15 days off without pay (layoff) which wound up being 25 days off when the Governor declared us non-essential. I did have to burn up my accrued vacation balance but was able to collect unemployment. My employer maintained my benefits while I was off with a deferred payment for my portion.

You may consider making a similar counter offer with your employer. 30 days off at reduced pay would beat the hell out of a 15% reduction in income for the foreseeable future.

BigBird likes this.