1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking input for excessive fork dive on idjit 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DmanSlam, Apr 13, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ This is exactly what Nick taught me, some years ago. It works and I apply it all the time, now.

2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Reporting back on this thread. With my first track day completed -- at Summit Point Raceway -- since the new suspension adjustments, the bike rides much, much better. Recall that I mentioned my zip tie was barely moving under braking. So, I noticed a lot of changes in my track day riding:
    • Definitely less bumpiness under braking.
    • Though I don't feel the diving -- from the somewhat softer settings -- the frontend just tracks better. The bike just turns better. I mean: way better.
    • Cracking the throttle mid-corner doesn't push the bike out as much as it used to.
    • I found lines that, me personally, didn't know that I could use (seen others use different lines, just assumed they were much better riders (they probably still are but you know what I'm saying...)
    • In turn 5, more fun. Definitely more lines available. No mid-corner push. Not that I knew it was a "push" before the suspension changes. Just that I can carve and was comfy trying to carve. That's the key word there: "trying". Before it was follow the front wheel, if that makes sense.
    • Was able to roll on the throttle sooner and driving out of corners was much more enjoyable when chasing faster riders
    • Cornering is sharper now and braking/turn-in points noticeably later
    • In turn 10 at Summit Point: in the first session, using my old braking/turn-in points, I found myself accelerating to the apex. Pushed those points in a bit and found I could get passes done on entry.
    Riding the old suspension settings used to be the "norm". Major kudos to MRP Motorsports for providing a "new norm"! I didn't really want to spend the money on something I couldn't touch, when quoted. Btw, I have stock suspension. But the adjustments have made a BIG difference on the bike's stock suspension. Heck, it's really made me a different rider.

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I know this post is a few months old but you had an interesting observation that I'll chime in on. I've used Thermosman for years on my suspension and he's been a huge help in developing my bikes in both sprint racing and endurance racing. I've gravitated towards liking a softer set up bike. A super stiff bike does not always make a good race bike. Way too many variables, from rider style, to the specific bike model and track. But speaking in generalities, I prefer my bikes a little on the softer side. It makes it easier to ride, for me. As T-Man once told me (and MDM reiterated it here, indirectly), you control where the fork rides in the stroke with the spring, and control fork bottoming with fork oil height. You do not buy a spring rate soley based on body weight, or your race pace. If that was the case, the lap record setting experts would be riding on coil springs from a mac truck.

Food for thought: Does someone turning 12's at Summit Main brake as hard and as long as someone turning 30's? If you're carrying a hell of a lot more corner speed...do you still have to brake as hard?

TurboBlew, DmanSlam and CR750 like this.
  4. DmanSlam

Re your question, doesn't that depend on your entry speed and braking point?

5. DmanSlam

...and, also, depends on the type of corner (dog leg, parabollic, decreasing/increasing radius).

6. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

In the OP's original post, he said "between marker 4 and 5" on the approach to T1 at Summit. Not to be snarky at all, but in all honesty that would be a pretty early brake point for the upcoming T1. Really fast big bikes might start braking before the 4 marker, but not much before. Really fast like GSXR1k
    or R1 superbikes. S1000RR kind of stuff. 170+mph into the braking markers. Fast guys on 600s are well inside the 4 marker.
    With that said, I can easily imagine how thrilling it was to try to threshold brake that sucker with virtually no front suspension!

7. DmanSlam

It was thrilling enough that I can still remember the wheel chatter and a little handlebar wallowing.

For the record, I'm slower than those fast guys, btw, and I'm braking just as soon as the #5 brake marker flashes past. Not sure I should really call it a "between marker 4 and 5" but it gives my ego a boost to write it as I did.

8. ronp

ronp Member

I just watch videos from Paasch and Mesa. Paasch starts braking before the 5, and Mesa (on a much faster bike) starts braking WAY before the 5.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  9. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

You are correct. On the Paasch video, one of the guys gets pretty disorganized when he goes in deep. Looked like inside the 5 marker.
    Guess I just didn't realize how much velocity the 600s are building these days!