1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America 2020 Round 2

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

The new RRW issue has an article on Rossi's championship bikes and how they developed. Mentioned that Rossi was having trouble getting the power down out of the corner so they moved weight up higher to get more weight transfer on acceleration and more front tire load. So basically each bike and rider might want it adjusted a little. If a bike is already handling well, I would imagine putting it near the current CG would be ideal (or averaging it out around the center of gravity. Funny thing is the added weight will be one more variable to play with / optimize.

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

where do you even put 22lbs on a race bike?

i’m over here picturing barbells in the bellypan

418 likes this.
  3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

the right wrist of the other racers?

rcarson15, AC1108 and Trainwreck like this.
  4. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with this. When you countersteer, you are in essence steering the wheels out from under the center of mass. If the center of mass is higher, you have a longer moment arm to have the bike rotate on. (in essence, a lower moment of inertia). So the bike rotates quicker to help you get the turn started.

Well, that's what I think. Can of worms opened...lol.

5. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

[​IMG]

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Nah - I prefer this guy, from one of my all time favorite movies.

8af82475597889be9b3ab121ff71c716.jpg

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, but then at some point you need to stand the bike back up. I think this is where a higher center of mass would take more effort etc also with side to side transitional type movements. This is what made the Buell such a great bike to ride, this and it’s lower unsprung weight. as you could put it wherever you wanted to with not a huge effort. As always it’s a balance and total package etc. can of worms for sure. :D

8. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Okay, but where ya gonna find a 22lb. can of worms?

9. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

11 lb wheel weights front and rear.

turbulence likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't remember the year, early 80's I think. but Honda thought this and put the fuel tank in the belly of their racebike and had the exhaust pipes exit on the top. They found the bike handled better with the weight up higher. I've heard when you raise bikes up, it makes them transition either quicker or easier, I can't remember.....but it is supposedly better.

418 likes this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

upload_2020-6-15_19-59-57.jpeg

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

They went too low. :D

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is WI, there is a bait shop on every corner in every small town right across from a bar.

grasshopper likes this.
  14. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I hope you're joking. That is the absolute worst place to add weight

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Pretty sure he’s serious. :crackup:

turbulence, grasshopper and Steady T like this.
  16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yes.
    Wasn't ducati in this shoes before. They made them put weight which turned out helped them with bike since they can put it anywhere on bike. Think that was when Polen was riding it.

17. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

:blart::blart::blart::blart::blart:

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I'm really curious how they handle the 11lbs of weight. Maybe try a heavier exhaust? lol although pretty much everything available for V4R is Ti..

I dunno what i'd do at all.

19. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

You mean 22 lbs if they are sitting at the minimum . I think dry the bike is in at 379 ?

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It'd be funny if they slapped on the stock exhaust system to get to 22 pounds, including the cats.

I wonder if it's better to have all that weight localized somewhere, or to spread it out across the bike? If spread out, I could see starting with swapping all the bolts to regular steel instead of titanium. Maybe heavier fairings, chain, sprockets?