1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

US 50?

Cheers,

Dave

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

No some NV county backroad. I can look it up when I get home

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No need - it looks exactly like US 50 crossing NV - Reno to Ely to Utah. Loneliest Highway in America, and one of my favorites. But then, I'm somewhat warped . . . .

I came across US 50 one evening returning from riding the TAT to the Pacific ocean. On a KTM 990R, doing 90 mph+, crossing an Air Force bombing range at late dusk and saw a stealth bomber making a run . . . other wordly stuff. Pulled into Austin, NV at midnight and chanced upon the only bar - lights on, door open, music playing, owner in a rocker outside the front door. cold beers, and tall tales . . . end to a good, long, tiring day.

I love riding motorcycles . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

How was that TAT? Have been pondering following it out at some point this summer....
    I really need to
    Get Out west at some point this summer!

5. baconologist

oh I know about 50. But there are other more lonley roads. This was between Mono Lake and Beatty

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Very cool. I was thru Beatty, Tonapah, etc., in 2013 when running Vegas to Reno. You are correct: lonely defined . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

baconologist likes this.
  7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

For my money, 50 is just the conduit for awesome riding & cool places.

baconologist likes this.
  8. baconologist

i hadn’t spent much tine in NV other than LV. I was shocked by how beautiful the desert can be.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

100% agree.
    I spent all of my life in this kind of place.
    [​IMG]

My uncle would spend many weeks in the Mojave and others (mostly on the CR500), telling me how awesome it was, I didn't get it until I tried it. RIP Mr. Earl.
    [​IMG]

10. baconologist

We stumbled on 2 of these markers just off the paved road

7EDA5371-AE71-43CC-B615-601373402776.jpeg

SpeedyTide and jrsamples like this.
  11. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Cool!

Have you done the TAT? If not, have you ever considered?

12. baconologist

very much on the radar.
    Very much on the radar! Had to geow kiddo a bit more before we take that on.
    6E55949A-F908-4EFE-A7A8-8F231AA9C63B.jpeg

SpeedyTide likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Ari and Zack have popped up on Revzilla’s YT channel with a new adventure. It’s worth checking out.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I haven't read everything here.... you all have T700's yet?

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Should have my black one in August. I can have a red/white one in two weeks from now but I want the black one. Worth waiting for. It’s going to be an awesome ADV bike!

terminus est and motion like this.
  16. Critter

Critter Registered

I have the MAPS and GPS maps for the TAT and actually have tried to find time to do it

SpeedyTide and Stumpy like this.
  17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

4 of us, one a Dakar finisher, rode Clayton, NM to Port Orford, OR on Sam's tracks in July 2011. 9 days, 2,800 miles. A KTM 950SE, a KTM 990, a KTM 990R and a Honda XR650R. That was aggressive mileage and there was no dallying or sightseeing. Nevada was underwater, as well as a lot of new mining, and there were multiple work-arounds there. Logging in Oregon was also an issue. Black Dragon Canyon west of Green River, Utah was not big-bike (KTM 990R) friendly to me.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but at a less intense pace. Plan, plan, plan, then plan some more. About 75% the threads on Advrider about TAT trips end up with folks doing a lot of slabbing in lieu of dirt. We did dirt. It makes a big difference. To my way of thinking, if you're doing the trans-America TRAIL, you ride dirt, not pavement.

I'm thinking of doing Tellico Plains, TN to Clayton, NM to complete the TAT. That is not nearly as challenging or scenic as the western portion done, but it has its own challenges. I have no interest in doing the 85% highway portion from the East Coast to Tellico Plains. The principal issues currently facing me are: (1) when to do it; and (2) camp or hotel. I'm leaning toward camping and a leisurely pace. Then the question becomes: what bike? KTM 950SE or Honda XR650R? I'm leaning toward the 950SE simply due to the relative lack of technical riding and the anticipated long stretches in MS and OK.

Then, there are the various BDR's. Did Colorado a few years ago. Just did New Mexico, and thinking about Arizona next. So much riding, . . . so little time.

Cheers,

Dave

baconologist and jrsamples like this.
  18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Dave, the TAT nearly goes by my house and I get to see a lot of people riding it. There weres 3 Brits who shipped their BMWs over so they could ride it. I met up with them when one had stopped and put his foot down beside the road. But there was nothing but air and he and his bike ended up 30 feet down a cliff. It was a real chore getting that chunk of lead back to the dirt road. Cheerio!

I'm not very interested in the TAT (except western) because there are so many other rides that are so much better when a person only has 3-4 weeks to ride. I've done some of the BDRs, my favorite the UT. I'm thinking the AZ will be next. But this year, I'm thinking that I'll just make my own route as I did in 2015. To me, the BDRs are great because the bread crumbs are so easy to follow. I remember some turns in the CO that I probably would have never found if I was on a map.

83BSA likes this.
  19. Critter

Critter Registered

Who was the Dakar guy you went with? Was it BC?

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You have a PM.