1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine ice, or what else?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Even more fun, is it Engine Ice that when it boils the gas if flammable?

2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I've ran Engine Ice in my street bikes for many years with great results. Fans rarely come on and that is in the heat of summer down here in the SE. Very happy with results.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I guess I'll be the first one to say it: sounds like you need a new bike. At the very least you need to upgrade to a clapped out 2003 SV650 to prevent overheating.

2blueYam and Phl218 like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Double check your radiator and make sure all the fins are straight. A year or two racing especially anywhere semi sandy will bend them enough to restrict the air flow. They won't look super bent but a little is enough to matter.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The additives do help some by reducing the bubbles at the metal bits. Also helps by being a bit of a lubricant.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

hmmmm. Bubbles forming and moving off the metal actually help quite a bit. It's called nucleate boiling. The phase change absorbs a lot of energy, over 1000 BTU's per lbmass. The real problem is if temperatures go higher due to increased heat load you reach DNBR, departure from nucleate boiling or film boiling. At this point temperature of the heat exchanger surface rapidly increase and the heat transfer rate suffers. Best to stay below the boiling point. I'll add that when the bubble collapses after leaving the surface that 1000 btu's had to go somewhere....where it goes is into raising the the temperature of the surrounding colder water....no free lunch.:mad:

PS, I'm not disagreeing, Mongo...just elaborating.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense, but the whole point is for that heat to go somewhere other than stay in the cylinder walls. So if it transfers to the water the water can then move it to the radiator and get it out of the system more efficiently than it not transferring anywhere. Less bubbles means cooler metal temps or at least more efficient cooling of the metal and that is the entire point of the system.

racerx43 and ducnut like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

most streetbikes come mixed on the rich side with glycol. So simply changing to a prediluted mix like EI will promote a cooler running bike. You can do the same with standard glycol... just lean the mix some. Trackbikes just need more frequent service on the coolant and no glycol.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Yep, or just check the cap you have. They do go bad more often than people may think. One more thing, pull and check the pump for signs of cavitation. High rpm engines can suffer this issue. Checking the pump should be a regular maintenance deal on a race engine.

More on cavitation, etc...
    https://msvracingpowersports.com/water-pump-aeration-vs-cavitation-basics/

11. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I use Maxima Coolinol... Just cause the name is phunny

12. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Evans waterless coolant for me !

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on a trackbike?