1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grattan Yesterday...

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jun 8, 2020.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Funny thing is Gingerman is packed when AHRMA races there. EVERY year its packed and almost no pit spots available. When I raced CCS for many years it was not the case. Not sure why. Looking forward to the AHRMA races since its close to Chicago.

grasshopper likes this.
  2. ton

ton Arf!

yeah. i get that. though it always seemed like there were plenty of Chicago folks that came to Grattan. but who knows... perception.

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

T1 at Grattan is really sketchy.. There are literal pits and chunks missing from the asphalt and they just put sealer over top of it. Its like that in a few other areas too, but T1 is by far the worst.

I know its been brought up, but Gingerman is a much safer track. Especially since they moved the T11 Armco barrier back significantly. If you hit anything other than another rider at Gingerman, you deserved it. You can also see the entire track, there's great lakefront views only 15 minutes away when the track is cold, and the shower facilities are decent... Also, the ladies make amazing breakfast burrito's in the morning.

It baffles me that no one shows up to this track. The CCS ordeal is really annoying. They've just turned that region into the Blackhawk Farms Championship.. That track is really fun, but its way more dangerous than Gingerman, and Grattan. If you low side into 6A, there's a pretty good chance you're gunna bonk the armco. Matter of fact, if you blow any braking zone, your best bet is to just hop off as soon as you hit the grass.... Again, fun track, but going there 5 times a season is real dumb..

Do Chicago people leave that area for anything?

Gingerman is an amazing facility that keeps getting better and better every year. A shop i'm affiliated with has Dan the owners C6 Z06 right now because he tossed a rod through the block. Its getting a worked over LS7 tossed back in. Should be an absolute ripper.

badmoon692008 and grasshopper like this.
  4. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant... there's a reason you guys don't run races there anymore, because no one shows up... bad grammar.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's a lot of work just to cancel an event. Because that will absolutely happen. There aren't enough people who like G'man enough to pay double and still pay the bills.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So for Grattan and Gingerman why not make the same Friday late AM plan?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

OK, you racers, now's the time to step up and commit to a Gingerman round. Send Sean a PM or e-mail and once he gets enough he can book the track.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So they can step up and do it or they can shut up about the place?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not enough will step and those who do like it will never shut up. BTDT :D

10. Trainwreck

The STT events there are usually pretty well attended. Obviously STT is far from racing, but a lot of racers show up..

TBH I dont see how people wouldn't want to race that track. It's got room for error, some elevation changes, and some tricky little nuances to going fast there. I also like it, because when i crash, my whole family can see right away, that way they don't have to worry when i don't come into pit during the red flag.. they can see me out in in the sweepers throwing a fit by myself from spectator hill... LOL!

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Grattan was my first ever trackday and my first crash a couple years later on a rainy pro school day. Can't get anyone from over here in Chicago to go that way though and Gingerman is pretty much Friday night bike night only for people here it seems.

12. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We absolutely did. Traffic is relative and even off rush time the southern passage around Chicago is busy if not stop and go. It's just too many people in one place.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You're retired now aren't you? :)

5axis likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ya, ya I get it.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok, turn one is all busted up but besides last turn coming onto the straight what's so dangerous about it?

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Weird and Blackhawk is a better choice than either Grattan or Gingerman? Me thinks traveling on those shitty roads and traffic around Lake Mich is the problem

17. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

I think I was the first to crash right there chasing Dave Knapp, he crashed in the next corner.

18. Trainwreck

Didn't say it was dangerous.

Said it was sketchy. :cool:

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Gingerman is boring and Grattan is challenging, but with the track conditions/sealer, it turns people away. But hey, Grattan is for sale for a mere 7 mil., so someone here go buy it, so it can be redone properly. :D

galloway840 likes this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

With a price like that, there must be a poppy farm on the property....:D

ekraft84 likes this.