1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New River Trail - Virginia

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Jun 8, 2020.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Looks like an awesome trail running along the New River between Galax and Pulaski. I'm thinking of riding my handcycle and do 30 miles out and back from Galax one day and then another 30 out and back from Pulaski. Probably this fall before it starts to cool off. Anybody here bicycled this trail? Anyone want in on the adventure?

Senna, Jon Wilkens and Cannoli like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I admire your tenacity Joe.
    Good luck on the trail. :beer:

50Joe likes this.
  3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've done more research. The Hiawassee Bridge is out so instead of a 2 day trip, I'd need to cut it into 3 days to cover the whole trail. On the plus side each day would be easier so there's that instead of doing two 60 mile days in a row. I've pretty much decided I'm going to make it a 5 day vacation. Three days on the trail, one day riding around Virginia Tech and a rest day in Roanoke. I graduated from VT and used to live in Roanoke and miss that region of the country so this trip would be pretty epic for me for several reasons.

Every handcycle race has been cancelled so far in 2020. I was training hard for Tour of America Dairyland in Wisconsin but got word about 10 days ago that it is cancelled too. I haven't gone anywhere or spent money having fun at all in 2020 and I need to do some things that feed the soul. My sanity is slipping.......

Jon Wilkens and Sabre699 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When in the world have you ever been sane? :crackup:

50Joe likes this.
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Busted. Being sane is over rated.

motoboy likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree. Also agree on that part of VA being gorgeous, just drove through Friday and again last night.

50Joe likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Deer country !!

8. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

I live right beside the trail. I've ridden the whole trail just not all at the same time. The area is great and the trail is easy, averaging 15 to 20 mph. Definitely do it in the fall as the humidity is high in the summer with all the vegetation, mornings and evenings aren't too bad though. The area around Allisonia got some flooding recently but I haven't heard of any of the trail being closed. There is a road bridge that is being replaced but it doesn't affect the trail. Also plan on riding during the week and you'll have it mostly to yourself. I'll ride by the Hiwassee trestle on the way home in the morning and see if there's a problem. Give me a pm if you want anymore info.

Triple X and 50Joe like this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Then come to Damascus and ride the Creeper Trail

50Joe likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

You could come to the ATL and ride Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga trail (AL end of it). We live out near the state line about 20 minutes from the trail...you could stay here. I'd ride with you. I'd be interested in the VA ride too...would just need to coordinate.

50Joe and Ducti89 like this.
  11. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

If you are coming any distance may I also recommend the Greenbrier Trail in WVA.

50Joe likes this.
  12. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

Hiwassee trestle is closed, looks like there's some construction going on. There's a Bobcat blocking the trestle from the Hiwassee side. I'll update when I know more.

50Joe likes this.
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'll definitely be doing that trail too at some point in time. The New River Trail is first on my list because I love that area having gone to Virginia Tech and living in Roanoke for a few years. I miss that area and haven't been there in awhile. Friends here at home just rode it and nothing but good things to say.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My friends who just rode it told me about that. My plan is to do 3 days of out and back loops. Start in Galax and ride half way to that bridge and back. Next day unload where I turned around the first day and ride to the bridge and back. Drive up to Pulaski that evening. The next morning ride from Pulaski to the bridge and back.

15. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Watch out for bears. Have seen them twice around the Byllesby damn / power house.
    It is a nice wide trail - enjoy.

50Joe likes this.
  16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'm definitely doing this ride. I just don't know exactly when. My plan would be to drive up to Galax on a Sunday afternoon/evening. Start day 1 ride on Monday, Day 2 Tuesday, Day 3 Wednesday, Day 4 is rest day in Roanoke and goof off time, Day 5 is riding around Virginia Tech area. Driving home after riding around VT is an option or just relax, stay in Blacksburg that evening and then drive home on the Saturday.

I can keep up with B level riders on flat ground. I did a metric century ride down in Charleston, SC April of 2019 and averaged 19.4 mph over 65 miles but only 700 ft of elevation gain. I'm much stronger this year than 2019. But, the objective of this ride is to drink in the beautiful scenery and not be a hammer fest. This trail is pretty darn flat so I expect the moving average around 15ish mph. Frequent stops for pics will lower the overall average quite a bit.

Jon Wilkens likes this.