1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

It has cast wheels and under 6k miles. I am in the process of selling my house and if that happens quickly enough this one will be mine

baconologist likes this.
  2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Before being called an XR it was just a plain T800 ABS. Great bike for touring. It loads like a pack mule amd will go more places than people expect. A couple known weak points, idle stepper motors, when ridden in dusty conditions. The starter is just adequate and when it get’s tired won’t restart hot. The stock seat sucks and pushes you into the tank. The radiator dumps heat on your legs in slow traffic. Good in the winter, suckx ass above 80*. Some have lifted the bars for a little less lean and more comfort. Farkles are plenty but shifting from new availability to primarily used.
    These bikes are pretty well documented and many have gone 100k+ with just regular maintenance.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ Fair assessment.

baconologist, have you seen these? I’m not sure if they’re homemade or a commercial piece.

7F24C33A-3EAB-4FA9-8634-3DBA1E6BD1F8.jpeg

The heat control is definitely better on my ‘15, than the earlier bikes I’ve ridden. But, I added upper crash bars and it feels like the heat is being deflected back inward onto my legs, from the tubing. I’ve thought about trying to fabricate deflectors, of some sort. For sure, if it wasn’t for me needing a place to mount large auxiliary lights, the bars would be removed and sold.

4. baconologist

Hadn’t seen those deflectors before. I can’t use them because I don’t run crash bars

4E10763E-7E33-4804-8E54-6142DF13E4D8.jpeg

ducnut likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, we were supposed to go for an overnight trip but we sketched out due to weather. We still got a nice days ride in. I was shocked by how much fun the roads in Lancaster County are. My son and i had a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Britt, SuddenBraking, cBJr and 3 others like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Trying to become one as soon as I can.

Anyone know a friendly Yamaha dealership in the GA to southern MN, WI corridor? I'm trying to find an early release 2021 700 Tenere.

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Good luck but IMHO the best yamaha dealer around in that area is Blue Ridge Yamaha. Paul is a long time rider and his son is a great racer as well. Old school shop.

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

This Tenere 700 is really growing on me. Looking to upgrade the WR250 and that might be just the ticket.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

You won’t get a T7 unless you put the $500 down 5-22-20 during the customer only PDP. 800 bikes sold out in less than 6 hours that day. So much that Yamahas server crashed towards the end. I had a order in with my longtime dealer since march but they were clueless how this would unfold. Me I was on a 6 day trip on my Africa Twin during the PDP date and totally missed it. Wasn’t online or in touch with anyone.

I’m not totally SOL I contacted my dealer when I got back and Yamaha confirmed I’ll have one sometime in August. Dealer orders can officially roll out to yamaha in July.

I screwed my own deal up by not getting on the Yamaha website email list and instead listening to my dealer who knew nothing about what Yamaha was up to. Yamaha handled this PDP differently than the last one on the Super Tenere which I was one of the first to get one of those. Yamaha wanted to take the dealers out of this do they couldn’t pad up inventory with fake buyers.

Awesome bike and I look forward to getting mine. I ordered the matte black one.

duggram and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have a WR250X myself.

12. baconologist

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Ha, I was wondering if you made it to Colton Point State Park. On Memorial Day weekend, me and two others met up in State College and rode north with no plan other than to ride and camp somewhere. We found Colton Point State Park on the map when we were getting gas in Galeton, PA. Thought we might have been in the same campground, but then read you didn't get that far north. If you get a chance to make it up 144, it is a good ride. Me and the one guy I was with used to frequent 144 a few times a week in the early 90's when we were going to school in State College, we discovered the track not long after. A few pics from the trip. The last pic is a critical add to the camping kit, best investment I've made in awhile.

IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

rd400racer likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Where does that fit on the bike?

SpeedyTide likes this.
  15. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Skimmed through about 5 minutes, and didn't see "which" motor they're using, or any of them I guess.....CBX, CBR, CBF? I realize they're essentially the same.

Definitely an interesting bike/build.

16. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I know 3 out of 4 of those places :beer:

17. Mike Kelly

Folds up and strapped onto the back of my dry bags.

IMG_0941 - Copy.JPG

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. Mike Kelly

The fourth one is top secret!

19. baconologist

the original build used a CBR but their all the same except paint

20. baconologist