1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

You’re probably right, with as many of them as there are on the road some of them are going to be duds. I’m just still traumatized from owning a first year at Acadia.

ducnut likes this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yes they did. And the oiling issue.

Yep , emissions are the # 1 issue for diesels these days. All of them.

ducnut likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Superchargers do that, too. It makes power at any rpm...not just when you need to scream to get a trailer up a hill.

I never said anything about how people should use their Jeep but if you chose a Jeep to do other than Jeepin', you coulda got a mucha better vehicle for the job unless you really just wanted the open top and couldn't live with a Blazer or Bronco or Toyota or Land Rover or... :D
    If I am saying anything it's that a turbo is wrong for a Jeep, at least the ones that are currently marketed. You can build a turbo to work down low, but that's where the power stays - no/little high rpm benefit. Nobody's gonna sell that idea.
    If you already have sufficient power and want more, sure, get a turbo. When looking for power that you may need at any rpm, supercharger is always the answer.

4. fastfreddie

Turbos are like your vehicle's windows and you don't have AC. You want a nice breeze? Go faster. :D
    Superchargers are like your vehicle's AC when you don't want to open the windows. You want a nice breeze? Doesn't matter how fast you go.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't realize you could buy new Blazer, Bronco, Toyota, Land Rovers that are open top?

6. fastfreddie

My bad, I thought this was turbo vs SC...the age of the vehicle is irrelevant.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I have a 14 dodge ram express I keep in Florida, often goes months with out use and have replaced battery and a key fob in 5 years with no other issues, get 18 miles on average, can't complain, I like rams, had an old STT tuned with a Paxton super charger and was lucky to average 9 miles a gallon, maybe getting older now I drive a lot slower, Had an f150 before too, It was a solid truck, definitely an American truck guy

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You're incorrect.

With a supercharger, the boost curve is a straight line, from idle to rev limit. The higher the rpm, the higher the boost. They make very little power, down low; it’s mostly all up top. It’s partly why supercharged drag cars run 6000+rpm converters.

Turbo boost curves go straight up, when they spool. When that happens and how much air they move is dependent on inducer, exducer, and housing sizes. It’s pretty easy to choose a turbo that’ll make strong boost at <2000rpm and maintain a relatively flat boost curve all the way to rev limit. If it’s making 7psi at 2000rpm, it’ll be making 3X that by 6000rpm, and can make 4X that by 8000rpm.

There’s going to be a tradeoff, with power output, no matter what it is; cams, intakes, boosted power adders, etc. If the component makes bottom-end power, it’ll lose some up top to other items that make top-end power and vice-versa.

Do everyone a favor and educate yourself on how things works, before trying to argue that which you don’t know.

9. fastfreddie

You've confused the boost curve (straight line) of a rotor SC with that of a centrifugal SC.

FWIW, I'm not talking about centrifugal SC where boost increases with rpm.
    Roots-style don't give a shit about rpm, boost is boost and that's why, as you said, it's a straight-lined boost curve.

Anything making the boost necessary to provide the power desired at low rpm but increases that boost as you press the go-pedal is not, imo, what you want in a vehicle where throttle control is important. That undesirable effect is what you get with centrifugal SCs and turbos.

At least be accurate with what you do know. ;)

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

We should also note here, that boost does not translate to power in all cases. I can have a smaller frame GTX2868R on a 2.0L 4 cyl making 25psi. the engine will not be able to make as much power as it can with a GTX3071R at 18psi. However, then engine more than likely make more power at lower RPM with the smaller frame in comparison. Different power bands can be built with different size turbo's, multiple turbo's, or even compounding turbos (driving a smaller turbo with a larger turbo to make it much more efficient. almost instant spool and can be run well outside of its normal range) Lets also not forget tuning, you can bring a turbo online sooner or later with timing and fuel maps.

Superchargers are kind of the same way. except when swapping pully's around to change the power band, you have to do something for belt slippage at higher rpms, as well as keeping the belt on the pulleys if you go from flooring it to letting completely out of the throttle (happens pretty often actually, because the engine rotating assembly spins with a different momentum than the supercharger. However, this seems to happen more on roots type blowers in my experience) With Centrifugal super chargers, they dont throw the belt as much but it does slip at higher rpms. There are things you can do to help, but belt slippage happens pretty much until you switch to gear driven centrifugal superchargers.

Source: me.. I do a lot of fabrication work for boosted vehicles on the side. I specialize in the plumping of forced induction race cars. (not my day job) Had a lot of input on this thing as well: (Was designed and built by my best friend for the owner of SP, with a little input and fab help from me as well) bone stock bottem end 5.3 Sierra making 700awhp. I believe he was making around 850-900 on gen 4 bottem end before he sold it to buy his C8 vette.

people can argue about superchargers and turbo's all day long. they each have their own little nuances though. I've been around this shit my entire life and i'll tell you straight up, one is not better than the other.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Well, I am going with a 2019 5.0 F150. Took one for a three day test drive and so far am pretty happy. Time to figure out how to pay for it ))

CRA_Fizzer, R1M370 and ducnut like this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Give uber rides on your Zuma?
    :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I am late to the thread, But my 2020 Chevy High Country with the 3.0l Duramax is getting 30 to 33 mpg highway and mid 20s city. I love this truck. Great torque on the bottom, and decent pull up top. Very comfortable to drive too. I have had a lot of trucks in the past 13 years, several Tundras, 2 chevy and 1 GMC, and this is by far my favorite one by miles. Oh, and I put miles on them all. LOTS of miles. truck.jpg

14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Now 33mpg is impressive.

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What are you getting towing, and what speed? What are you towing?

I'm not in the market, just curious.

16. backcountryme

Honestly, I haven't towed anything with it just yet. But I have maxed out the payload on it a could of times and it didn't really effect my mileage much. I think the fact that some stuff was sticking up higher then the cab hurt more then the weight.

17. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Aren't Canadian miles around 75% of real American miles?

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

62%.

1km = 0.62 mi.

19. backcountryme

That is why I said miles and not kilometers.

20. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

Backcountryme !
    What’s the tow rating on your truck.