1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer - Rust Prevention

Discussion in 'General' started by mpusch, May 31, 2020.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

So it's a nice day, and instead of working on the house inside I'm looking for excuses to work outside. I've had my 6x12 enclosed trailer for two years and as far as I can see don't have any rust yet - but I'd like to keep it that way. It's stored outside in Buffalo winters, so I figure that'll wear on it eventually.

Any recommendations for purely preventative maintenance? I skimmed through this thread (http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/help-trailer-roof-repair-replace-advice.366786/) when looking but it seems mostly for repair.

Guessing it's not as straight forward as just wiping some WD-40 on :D

2. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] I think both of these work decently and are not bad for the environment. They do seem to break rubber down a bit, some parts lose their shape when these are applied. I have used Krown on my truck since new (7 years), no rust on metal parts, but things like the windshield wiper spray hose has relaxed and come off the nipple. I just reinstalled and zip tied it. Also the rubber door gaskets have relaxed and fallen a bit but they are still usable. For a trailer these should work very well imo.

mpusch likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

On another thread on here, someone mentioned a good idea I never thought of, make sure the trailer isn't level when you leave it sitting for awhile. That will prevent the water from puddling on top and even rusting a steel roof.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Used Por15 on car frames some 20 yrs ago which are still spotless today.

noles19 and mpusch like this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Where is it stored? If it’s kept on grass it’s for sure going to attract moisture.

ducnut likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Concrete driveway.

9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I have it tipped down in the front some, but I'll double check to ensure it is to a meaningful level. Thanks!

10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

There's some local chains (Rust Check, Krown, Ziebart) that will coat vehicles w/ a fluid film-like substance and sometimes it's cheaper than buying individual spray cans, I'm not sure how it'll react to open plywood floors though b/c I assume they won't be taping stuff off and there'll be some overspray.

Here's a review from a shop that has a Youtube channel, he's south of Rochester.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Por doesn't mess around. Just don't get it on your hands...

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member