1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I would have bought a 5.9 but they didn’t make it with a stick, and I ain’t buying no slushbox in a pickemup truck. :mad:

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah what Im saying the gas rams were a total joke then. There was even a local guy who had a dakota that towed his ram to the dragstrip... to run 16s he had thousands in and it still couldnt break 100mph.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm not buying into the turbo. It's a similar power delivery to the Paxtons. Sure, they tell you how it's the tire's job to gain traction and once there you can lay the power on. The reality is, I'm currently using no throttle to go up/over obstacles with my manual. At some point, I will find an obstacle that stalls the engine and I'll want more power. With either a turbo or a Paxton, there's no boost at idle where I spend most of my time when negotiating obstacles.

Why would anyone want high rpm power in a vehicle that maintains traction through low rpm torque?
    Marketing is the answer, ignorance is the client. I bet they think they're getting to the mall in style, tho'. :D

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow no throttle needed for this awesome sport......sign me up!!! :D

cav115 and SuddenBraking like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Doesn’t sound like you do anything other than crawl around in low range, low gear. For that, you only need torque at idle. But, out on the open road, the turbo will haul ass, with little effort. Mountain grade? No problem. Towing a box trailer to the track? No problem.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Ecodiesels pull in 31mpg on hwy and 23 city....pretty nice numbers but they’re a dog in the HP area. Great towing.

My 07 ram just hit 213k miles and still going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cav115 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

As soon as my truck is out of warranty, I'll be looking at the turbo and/or supercharger options. Would like to be able to pull a small toy hauler and not dog it too bad up hills.

ducnut likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This is why Jeep people are so annoying. They can't help telling everybody that they're using their Jeep wrong. Personally I think running over shit for no reason other than running over it is stupid, but if you have fun doing it then that's cool.

Not everybody has a Jeep to go Jeeping. Mine is transportation, gets me from A to B. Sometimes B is a trailhead off the beaten path or a hunting spot that requires me to run over and through things, which is why I don't drive a Camry. I would however love to squeeze some more HP out of that anemic engine, just so I can pass cars without reving the tits off it.

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I`m talking ecoboost mainley, but ford diesels in particular are high failure compared to others.

We have several fleets, but I`m also on a national tech forum, so I see a huge amount of cases.

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Wow..that is weird.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Interesting. What motor is that? What milage is failure?

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

An ISX of some sort. I believe they’re ~15L, IIRC.

The last one I saw in the shop was at ~375K. When they told me the mileage, I couldn’t believe it. It was going to be completed and head to trade. They usually don’t trade until ~700K or when samples start looking unfavorable.

cav115 likes this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

That is interesting. A search on the tech forums does`t show a big amount of that, just occasional. We haven`t seen that.

As you said, our fleets come in with 700-800 K still going strong...

Even did a google search, lol, didn`t come up with that...

ISX still listed as top 3 favorite for diesels...

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you search through Richard Holdener’s YT videos, he has at least one boost video comparing roots/centrifugal/turbo. The superchargers produce a very linear boost curve, from idle to redline (just draw a straight line between those two points). Turbos get up on the boost much earlier, to a higher boost level, and make way more power under the curve, which is what you want. It’s exactly why turbos are so flipping fast.

SuddenBraking and cav115 like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Ecos had a few years with problems, the new ones seem solid.

ducnut likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve heard it outside that company, as well, just rambling on the CB.

The Volvos and PACCARs have their issues as well.

These days, I think leasing is a better way to go, so all the bullshit is put back on the dealers and one can quickly get a replacement power unit. Otherwise, one will be sidelined for however long, until overwhelmed dealer shops can to get to them. I’ve spent plenty of time in shops, because of the D13’s emission system. The service writers have all said that’s the bulk of their business.

The other option is a pre-2005, custom frame-off build.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Did the factory fix the cam gear issue or are owners still having to do it themselves?

One of the techs where I worked had his MB SUV’s EcoDiesel do that. He’s had nothing but problems with the emission system on that thing, as well. He said he has to regularly get it out on the interstate and open it up, to keep the DPF cleaned out. He said he regrets buying it.

cav115 likes this.
  19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Unless you want to spend a lot of time in the service department I’d stay away from the first year, maybe two, of any new major component from any manufacturer. I don’t care what kind of torture test they did you’re going to have issues. I’d let somebody else iron out the 7.3.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

People always say that. But, I’m not sure it’s an accurate view. There are a huge number of 1st year products with zero issues. Yet, one can look at something like GM’s LS engine platform, of which many millions have been built, and they’re still problematic. I think, it’s more a luck of the draw.