1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator 3500

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, May 25, 2020.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Is the twist lock plug really 120V? For some reason I thought a genny this size would have a 220-240V outlet.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Balance of cost versus noise I'm guessing. You don't see many 3kw onboards, they're usually bigger. Bigger inverter setups aren't cheap. I used a 7kw Honda inverter for ours one weekend and it absolutely kicked ass for a portable to the point where I want one but it was not remotely as good as the 12.5kw onboard water cooled diesel - and it wasn't any quieter.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't imagine trying to run anything 240 off a small genset like that.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got a measly 4kw Onan, high RPM air cooled gas job, an inverter that can draw off the batt bank to help with surges would be much quieter, potentially lighter... absolutely use less fuel, would make for a nice upgrade to my setup.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Put a pair of 2kw inverters together and not sure you'd be ahead of the game - along with them not drawing off the fuel tank in the rv. There is also a lot to be said for the simplicity of the old school onan built ins.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If you really want to know if a generator is quiet, go to a RV show and check out the generator vendors.
    I wish I could remember what model Cummins/Onan I heard or, more correctly, didn't hear when I visited their booth at the Hershey RV show. If I had to guess, I'd say it was 5K+ watts, but I can't remember if it was diesel or gasoline.
    The rep cranked it up and I actually had to lean into it to hear it over the din of pedestrian show gawkers. As we spoke, he wound it up to full output. I had to be within five feet to recognize where any sound was coming from over the crowd, ten feet away and it disappeared.
    To say it was amazing doesn't do it justice. It was, however, quite expensive...same ballpark as the Honda 7000.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can have it cheap, have it fast, or have it done quickly.... :D

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's the one I used. Unfortunately the local store does not have them in stock. So I had to pay $25 shipping.
    Still saves me a 60 mile R/T

9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Large gatherings of people can actually be rather loud. You just don't realize it, until you try to talk to some people. I'm sure the generator, in an empty location, would sound a little louder. Then you would notice it because it was the only thing making noise.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I literally had to get my ear within a foot to hear it. At arms reach, touching it confirmed it was running at idle.
    As far as a crowd's noise level, I hear ya. :D

A. Barrister likes this.
  11. 418

418 Expert #59

So I got a real conundrum here, assuming my Champion 3500 wasn't socially acceptable any more I was going to jump on this HB deal but then I figured buy once, cry once and came across this.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/generators/portable-generators/q6500-quietpower-series-inverter-generator.html

Anybody have one of these?

The one thing that threw me off is at 66Db it's not that much quieter than the Champ3500 so at this point I'm wondering why I'm buying a generator in the first place...:confused:

The Westinghouse @hotnail recommended seems nice but I can't fine one in stock and I'm not buying a genny over amazon.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

for a grand on amazon, that aint a bad deal, if it ends up being a good generator. Ski

13. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

418 likes this.
  14. Being a guy that believes in buying quality tools, hardware, etc and only thing i usually get at HF are the little misc odd n ends. To put it in perspective I needed a router table to do some basic stuff that I’ll probably use a couple times and I spent the extra $120 on a Bosch one that was on sale vs the $110 one at Hf which is probably would do the job just as good. That being said I’d buy one of these generators. Their predator stuff has come leaps and bounds in quality etc. is it a Honda? No. But I’ve also seen Honda’s fail. Not to mention for $800 I’d buy this and a backup 2000 still under cost of a Honda. Make sure you put non eth gas in the Honda, start it once and a while and leave it as a spare.

418 likes this.
  15. No shit. Never understood that one unless there is some issue with vibration or mounting etc.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the newer eu2200 have the fuel & power switch seperated so you can run the fuel out of the carb. You can retrofit the older ones with a toggle switch to do the same. Not too familiar with the larger units.
    Id like to see if you can parallel different brands.

17. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

I have this generator, but I've barely used it yet. I've played around with it some and it seems good and quiet enough. I plan on using it for a river lot without power and odd jobs since I don't race anymore. I think it would have worked well at the track and I wish I would have had it then. Really don't have enough time with it to give you the it's wonderful or it's a huge piece of crap review?! Not sure how this helped you any, but there you have it!o_O

418 likes this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

I guess what I'm wondering the most is if it's quiet enough to run at night at the track. I've got decent amount of cord to run to my toyhauler but some places you're not gonna have enough cord to get away from everybody.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

swing by Roys on a school night and fire it up!!! :)

YamRZ350 and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

The construction crew at my work has a couple of them that they use daily and they had nothing but positive things to say about them. They had one running some grinders and it seemed just as quiet to me as my Yamaha 2400. However I’m not the type to nitpick shit, I’d welcome any pit neighbor running one all weekend.