1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on 40hp tractors

Discussion in 'General' started by MGM, May 27, 2020.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You got a nice deal there^

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'd say you got a deal there. :clap:

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

THATS what I'm talking about, right there!

Whats a dpf?

Knock off the trailer and the brushhog and its getting close to budget as well!

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Great input thx

The "buyers remorse" for too small is why I'm not looking at Kubota B series and going straight to the L

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Have about the same setup and attachments. But also have a 60in snowblower. And get forks. You will not regret that $500 spent.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Diesel particulate filter

Costs about $13,500 to replace ;)

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

depends on the aize and who is bending you over.
    Plus you can cook them and burn out the old soot.

so a little more on emissions. Tractors older than 2015 shouldn’t have them. After 2015 and under 75hp. Is typically just EGR and a DOC (cat). Some even have no after treatment just egr. Above 75hp will add a DPF and DEF

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    ungwaha likes this.
  8. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I would look at them all and see what you like best. I personally didn't even consider Green or Orange due to the fact that their equivalent tractors were $10-15k more but that's just me. A person can buy a lot of implements for $15k. I wanted a hydro trans for loader work and mowing near buildings and I did not care for the Kubota forward/reverse single pedal. I got a ton of standard options that end up costing lots more on other tractors. ie. telescoping 3 point arms, 3 sets of rear remotes, draft control, cruise, 7 point connector in back, a lever on the back of the tractor to raise and lower the 3 point arms (best option ever as I don't have to go inside the tractor to make height adjustments), front and rear work lights and front and rear wipers w/ washer fluid etc.... Had the dealer fill the rears with beet juice also.

I agree with the buy bigger than you think you need. I was originally looking at one size smaller frame size and am happy I went with the size I did. Sure lots of things can be done w/ less its just a time thing but my thinking was I will only be doing this once. Well last night I was thinking about a 12' batwing mower and 80hp as I was using my 7' flail and 50hp. Ha

Since this is turning into a pic thread. When tractor was new w/ 12" auger and loaded up last night to knock another field down after work.

Attached Files:

• LS.jpg
      LS.jpg
      File size:
      450.7 KB
      Views:
    • LS2.jpg
      LS2.jpg
      File size:
      406.8 KB
      Views:
    CharlieY likes this.
  9. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Another consideration that I don't think anyone mentioned is tires. Ag tires are best for off-road, mud, etc. as they are thin, tall, and aggressive but if you ever drive it across your lawn it will likely jack it up depending on how dry it is and the weight of your tractor. Industrial tires (R4's) are wider, less aggressive but can still get the job done off-road albeit not as well as Ag tires. Then there are turf tires, lawn friendly but not great off-road.

CharlieY likes this.
  10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Good point. I have the R4s on mine and for the amount of time it is used on lawn, I wish it had ag tires. The traction with the R4s suck.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I was oogeling those tires and considering them. I run my Ag's over the lawn on occasion and they can rip it up...then again, I couldn't care less about grass....

12. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When reading this I had to look up where LS is made, South Korea. I know nothing about them but based on forklifts, South Korea and Taiwan as well as US and Japan all make good quality. China is better than it was, but still lacking.

On another note, surprised how low the hours are on these. We see forklifts all the time with over 10K hours and I have customers that have lifts with over 40K hours.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you really want to tear shit up put these on, rice and cane tires. Had them on my AC 7000 when I was dairy farming. They go in the mud.

[​IMG]

15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

LS motors are designed off a Mitsubishi, or a copy of,from what I’ve read and been told.

16. baconologist

that depends on which series your talking about. The smaller 1&2 series use Yanmar

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yanmar diesels have been good, based on my experience.

18. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Well look up LS R4041 tractor and see for yourself. It states 2.5 liter 4 cylinder diesel Mitsubishi :Poke:

19. baconologist

That’s not a current production unit :rolleyes:
    It looks like the MT3 and XP seires use the same 3cyl turbo unit thats branded as LS but uses a Mitsubishi style engine model name. Theres so much overlap and cross pollinating of engines and chassis in the industrial world it will make your head spin.

20. John Branch

John Branch 90125

baconologist, you seem pretty knowledgeable about tractors. You work in the industry?