1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I actually don't think giving a motor a beating every now and then is a bad thing. All my rentals were always cheap as cars, and I usually drove them rather normal. Regular oil change is probably more important to me. But I may be wrong about the whole rental thing.

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  3. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

Same with the 8 speed in my 2016 Sierra. Getting a Autocal V3 from Black Bear tuning to hopefully help with the horrible shifting.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s not the salt that’s so bad, it’s the calcium chloride It’s a liquid they spray on the roads anytime there’s a threat of frost, freezing rain, etc. And, I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME there’s the least bit of threat, they’re spraying the roads. That’s the shit that’s eating up our vehicles.

If you can’t physically inspect the underside of the truck, I wouldn’t consider it. If you live down south, limit yourself to something down there.

Edit: Just saw you’re in ATL. Kris doesn’t have anything?

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

New prices are more then I want to pay. And I didn't see anything on their website that I liked.

ducnut likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The salt may cause an issues but again the body is AL, so it wont rust away. I wouldnt be super worried as its very new and only went thru 1 winter, just give it a good rinsing underneath. And maybe use a salt remover in the rinse.

I also wouldnt worry to much about the rental thing...most people that rent trucks are hauling stuff..so they cant hon bad with their crap in the back. Or they are renting in the winter because they want 4x4 and dont hoon too bad in the snow, or if they do its slick and doesnt tear up the drive train as bed as dry.

Boman Forklift and Alex_V like this.
  7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Why are vehicles going backwards. Used to be diesels were just getting broken in at 200k mi, now the engines done at 120k ? Why dont people stop buying them so manufacturers realize we dont want junk? Unless I'm missing something?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're missing something, of Cav is. Tons of 200k plus trucks out there.

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

If you go on the F150 forums, there are a ton of guys with Ecoboost trucks with over 200k miles without issue. And there are just as many threads with v8 owners having issues at anyone else.

I'm at 101k miles in my 3.5eco and any issues I've had aren't motor related. I guess I'll let you guys know if I end up running into problems.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The ford ecoboost is a gasser

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

For those interested, details on the 2021 F-150 will be released on 6/25. It looks to be fairly heavily revised, especially the interior.

12. lopitt85

Shows how much I know. I ASSuMEd they were diesels.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dodge has an ecodiesel option in their girlie trucks

G8rDuc likes this.
  14. lopitt85

That's a good one. Everyone knows Ram are the only manly trucks ;-)

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Girlie trucks are defined as a vehicle that uses less than 8 lug nuts per wheel ;)

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Chuck Norris is gonna round house kick you next time he see's you. Nobody talks about walker's trucks [chevy or dodge] like that.

lopitt85 likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A 28' Outrage on a trailer is gonna be ~ 11.5K lbs. Towing that with a girlie truck is a disgrace to an Outrage's legacy - it's what the SEALs were using before they switched to RHIBs. For acceptable towing aesthetics, you need a crew cab dually with a bed cap. Preferably, all murdered out. :D
    Oh, yeah...and four wheel drive. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who’s she? :Poke:

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

uh... broken in alright...lol Sounds like the RV diesel owners who park/store more then they drive. Many have 15yr old coaches with 30,000 miles and still another 5yrs left to pay for it...lol. But the first in a thread to claim their engines will go 1,000,000 miles.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Haven't read the replies, but ONE year in Illinois isn't something that would bother me. I'm guessing a rental truck has been used for hauling and towing.....big deal they only did it for one year.

My neighbor bought a Bounder with a Cummings diesel. Within 6 months of buying it used, it had top end problems. I can't remember what, but I think it was under 20K miles and needed a new cam, head, etc.......and it was a diesel. So our running joke is......they last forever....because they are a diesel.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    TurboBlew likes this.