1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Well, I am pretty set in a F-150. What engine is a better option - 5.0 V8, 0r 3.5 EcoBoost? I am looking at two very similar trucks with those two engines.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Looks like Eco Boost is more torque, but more moving parts to potentially break. V8 seems older and more refined technology. Did I get this right?

3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

5.0L for the win, easier to work on and sounds 1000x's better than the eco farts exhaust noise.:D

cav115 and ducnut like this.
  4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I've had both in the last couple of years. I prefer the Ecoboost 3.5. It's a beast compared to the 5.0. I didn't have any issues with the 5.0, but once I finally sold myself on the Ecoboost, I would never go back.

Alex_V likes this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'd say it depends. I have the 5.0 V8 and love it, and it tows my 8.5 x 20 toy hauler as well as any n/a V8 can, but to be honest it would be nice to have that more robust low-end grunt.

If you're towing heavy I'd go ecoboost.

I will say, having driven both, the 3.5 ecoboost will put a smile on your face the first time you floor that pedal. That truck is faster than any half-ton has a right to be............it just won't sound all that exciting.

ducnut likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Some Silverados/Sierra's are made in Mexico...maybe 1/2 or less. Most are made in Ft Wayne, IN or Flint, MI. Its unfair to make a blanket statement that "Silverados are made in Mexico"

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you like engine sounds and you’re going to keep it, the Coyote engine is a better choice. But, compared to the EcoBoost, they need revved out to attain their performance. If you’re a short-term owner, the EcoBoost is going to provide a more satisfactory day-to-day experience, especially towing. It’s hard to beat them, for low-end performance. IMO, of course.

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Don't care for the sound that much, I want a quite cabin for long drives. Plus I already have a 5.0 V8 in my cobra project and its loud enough. This 150 is a long term truck, life permits that is. Seems to me that V8 would outlast the Ecoboost, or am I wrong?

cav115 and ducnut like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I thought they’d moved it all there. But, it does look like 400,000 units from what I could find. That’s still a lot of units and jobs.

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I love the eco boost - I slapped in a Cobb tuner and it really woke it up . I’ve got an obnoxious exhaust setup now that exits just behind the cab for off-roading . It’s sounds wicked imo . The mpg is so sensitive to the turbo power , it you hoon it , it will be thirsty .

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. NemesisR6

Well now you done did it..............gonna need some pics of this!

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My buddy is an independent tech and works on a ton of them, especially out of warranty units the dealer refers to him. He says he’d never own an EcoBoost.

I own a Silverado 5.3L (non-DOD) that experienced complete valvetrain failure, at 99K miles, and I’d still buy one of these before an EcoBoost.

Alex_V likes this.
  13. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

+1 for the v8.
    I guess I'm old school but if I bought a F150 or a Mustang I'd go with the V8. The turbo is just one more thing that can fail when the factory warranty expires.

And I wasn't trying to bash Chevy's, I drive a gen4 Silverado.

Alex_V likes this.
  14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Gen 2 Coyote in a FFR kit
    [​IMG]

ducnut and NemesisR6 like this.
  15. NemesisR6

Awesome! How long have you been working on it? How much more time till it's ready?

So jealous!!!!

16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

It was delivered last October, but I wasn't working on it full time. Was sidetracked by some major house projects. I probably can push it and wrap things up in a couple months, but I am in no hurry. Prepping fiberglass for paint is going to take unknown time. So completely finished and painted, my guess would be a year from now but there is no hurry at all.

[​IMG]

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Nice! Always wanted to build one with my dad. Around here it's cheaper to buy one used than to build one but that defeats the purpose in my mind.

18. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I agree, it does defeat the purpose. Keep in mind there is a slew of options of what you can do when building one - Brakes, suspension, power steering, engine choice, wheels... etc are all upgradable items. Buying a crate motor/transmission or a salvaged mustang. By my calculations building one with just the right options, and not buying a crate motor will end up being cheaper then buying a finished Coyote powered one. Not by much, and you get to do the work yourself.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

But back on subject. I found an ex rental 2019 F150 with just the right options. Price is under 30K 4x4 XLT, 19K miles, V8... Two things its a rental, and it was registered up North (Illinois). How bad do they salt roads up that way, and is 19K miles of rental whoring that bad of a thing?

20. NemesisR6

Well, the nice this re: rust is the only thing you need be concerned with the F150 is frame components since the entire body is aluminum, but they seem to do a pretty good job coating them from the factory. Even with the salt air here on the coast of Florida I've not noticed anything developing in the 5 years I've had it. Granted, I do take good care of it.

With it being a rental..........well.............how would YOU drive a rental truck with a honkin' V8 in it.