1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on 40hp tractors

Discussion in 'General' started by MGM, May 27, 2020.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I have a 2012 JD 3038e. Bought it used in 2014 with about 160hrs on it. Still only 350hrs on it. Worth more now than when I bought it. Try that with any off brand tractor.

Venom51 likes this.
  2. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Had any issues with it?

3. zertrider

Burnt out the instrument cluster when battery went dead. When instrument cluster dies, tractor doesn't start. Other than that, flawless.

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with 40HP tractors but I did buy a Kubota 2650 several years ago. Some of what I learned may also apply to your situation. One, I was able to get a lot more tractor for the same money with the Kubota over the JD. I got the FEL with quick change bucket and forks. I use the palette forks way more than I ever thought I would. I never knew how many things I would buy that came on a palette when I had a way to actually unload them.

I purchased the backhoe attachment at considerable cost and I would not do that again. I would have better off taking that money and putting it towards a used Bobcat excavator. Changing the backhoe out for one of the other implements is a bit of pain, place it is pretty limited in what it can do. I have used it to rip out some stumps and also move some downed trees. I will be using it this summer to dig some drainage trenches. I would still rather have the dedicated excavator. Fortunately neighbor has one and he is kind enough to help me out from time to time.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I would go with one that you have a good local dealer network. Around here green is the color. Don't know much about the LS but they i know they do make a few different brands. I looked at the LS's and they look pretty decent, cabs are pretty nice. Ive had a 32 hp Yanmar/ Cub cadet (when they were together), moved up to a 41hp yanmar, I'll be getting into a 52hp green machine here shortly I hope. I like the yanmar engines and that's whats in the JD. That and yanmar actually made the JD compacts for many years, not so sure anymore.

Things I upgraded to over the years that i can't live without now.

1) Some sort of quick attach for the loader, skid steer being the best in my opinion. Jd tried to curb that and made a proprietary hookup which i don't think is that great, but it works i guess.
    2) Quick hitch for the 3pt. Now there is a down side to this. Not all the stuff fits perfectly. Every attachment i get i seem to have to adjust or modify a little bit. BUT, once it's done, it's done and i can hook up way easier.
    3) Hydraulic top link and/or side link. If you get a tractor with at least one rear SCV and you don't use it to run anything, get a hydraulic top link, pretty cheap and will save so much time.
    4) Filled rear tires (this should be standard if you buy a tractor)
    5) 3rd function for a grapple. Either get a true 3rd function (another valve) or you can just run hydro hoses from a rear SCV to the front of the loader and use that (cheapest method)

If you're going with a 40hp get a larger framed tractor if you can. If you're in the 30hp range they have power but they don't have the weight behind them to really take advantage of it. That and they lack lifting capacity and stability. Once you jump up to a compact they will be a larger frame, weigh considerably more and lift about 2x as much with a loader.

You're on the right track with JD or Kubota. Both are good. Jd will be a little more premium maybe but it is what it is. Certain things i didnt like with the kubotas were the hydrostat pedals.. As for me i'm going full stupid and getting everything i can afford because i plan on keeping it for 20 years. You'll find more uses likely for it than what you know of at the present time. That an attachments are what makes the tractor useful. I mean, i have some 10k$ just in attachments, the tractor isnt anything without them.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Pride & Joy and MGM like this.
  6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Mine's "only" 30hp, but I love my Kubota B3030. No issues.

Just make sure you get one with a quick attach front.
    3pt quick attach really not that important to me. Too many different widths of attachments.

Get a weight box.

7. zertrider

Oh and get forks.
    Bought a set for mine in the fall. Should have done it when I bought the tractor. They are the handiest attachment. HLA branded ones for the JD.

jksoft likes this.
  8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I got a ballast box with mine and haven't used it once. I'll practically give it away if someone wants it. I haven't found any need for it as I always have either the backhoe or one of the implements on the back.

If you do go Kubota, they have 0% financing but the financing requires it to be insured with specific requirements. You will be hard pressed to find an insurance policy that will meet their requirements except with Kubota's insurance. My insurance agent tried. It's probably not legal for them to force you to buy their policy, but so far it hasn't been challenged as far as I know. It is just another cost to factor in. I don't know if other manufacturers do the same thing.

9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

@MGM Where are you located?

10. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is longevity and parts supplies of both the dealer and manufacturer. A tractor is something you keep around a long time. I bought a JD855 (diesel 20+ HP size compact) 20 years ago, used. It is a bit small for some jobs, too small for yours. It is a great lawn mower with a 6 foot deck, though. It's been reliable with only a few minor issues, the latest was a leaky hydraulic tube. The nice thing is that, even at it's age, the dealer either has parts in stock or can get them in 1 day.

Pride & Joy likes this.
  11. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Like others have mentioned a quick attach for the bucket is a must have. I would go with the skid steer qa method over the JD method, JD sells their tractors either way if you go that route. The skid steer type is more "industry standard" and you have many more used implements to choose from. If you are going to do stuff in the woods with firewood or trees, a logging winch is awesome, I have a Farmi which is a great choice. It also serves as a counter weight for the rear end so instead of spending money on a weight box you can just go straight for the winch.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm subscribed here.

I'm looking for NOT a lawnmower, NEED a bucket loader, maybe a boxblade......NO brushhog, mower deck, or bockhoe.

I've been looking at Kubota "L" chassis.....not the "B"......and JD.

Glad to hear I'm kinda headed in the right direction.

13. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I forgot we filled rear tires with water and light anti-freeze solution for counter weight. Can pick up 2500lbs

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Second that idea of a box blade. I have an open 6' blade for driveway grading and a box blade would make that chore 10 times easier.

15. Mike Lafayette

I started with a B series, second tractor was a Grand L (larger frame than standard L series) and now on an M series. If I had to do it over again, I would buy something larger than what I thought I needed. It seems like once you get and start using it, you always want more... more power, more work capability, etc. Power comes in two forms, how much power the PTO can put out if you plan on using PTO driven 3 point hitch implements, and hydraulic power - meaning how much can the loader and the 3 point hitch lift. The PTO power is a function of the engine horsepower and the type of transmission you have. For instance a hydrostatic transmission robs more engine power than a shifted type transmission which leaves less power for the PTO.

The first two tractors I had had backhoes, they are handy when needed, but when not needed take up a bunch of room in the garage. As others mentioned they are expensive as well and they don't have the hydraulic power of a mini-excavator. I wouldn't get a backhoe with the tractor, I would either rent a mini-excavator as needed or buy one like someone else mentioned. Rentals in my area are ~$300 per day and you don't have to store or maintain it.

CRA_Fizzer and CharlieY like this.
  16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Near Knoxville TN

17. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Funny you mention the backhoes. I need one for about a day. The cost and storage issues had me thinking the same thing about just renting a mini ex for a day.

Took a quick look at MF 1740M/JD 3038E and the RK 55 today. I’m leaning hard towards going bigger with the RK 55.. it comes with some nice to have stuff the others don’t at roughly the same price point.

18. Mike Lafayette

The bonus of mini ex will be much more hydraulic power than a backhoe on a diesel tractor. That is the downfall of the diesel tractor, it does a lot of things were well, it is very utilitarian but the hydraulic flow/power isn't great even on a bigger tractor. I would love to buy a front mounted snow blower that mounts to the quick attach but all of the skid steer blowers (even the low flow units) require much more hydraulic flow than my tractor has. Skid steers have much more flow/power!

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Rk are tym tractors

They mfg some tractors for Mahindra and also have their own dealers.

If you can get a similar deal through a tym dealer you will be much better off when you need warranty or service.

Rk has a handful of traveling service guys to cover all the stores.

As far as loaders go, don't consider anything other than universal skid steer quick attach.

You'll be paying 3-4 times the costs for attachments, otherwise

20. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

[​IMG]

Funny you mention this. I just picked up a 2013 3038E. I expected it to have a dpf but it didn't.
    Had 72 hrs on it. Box blade, 5 ft brush hog, and trailer for 16k. Probably the last tractor I'll ever buy. It will do anything you ask of it. Like someone mentioned, should be worth more in a few yrs than what I paid. I want a grappler soooo bad.

CharlieY and MGM like this.