1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I had two F-150's with the 5.0 V8. Had no issues and thought the engine was fine. Got the Ecoboost 3.5 in my latest ride with the 10 speed and love it so much more. It is an absolute beast of an engine. Put it in sport mode and it's semi-fun.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

My dealership has the largest Ford service department in the entire United States, and I don't see what you're talking about with any regularity. Of course, your sample size could be bigger than mine. ;)

GarrettRick and YamahaRick like this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think that V10 is pretty economical. I had a 30' Class A with a v10 in it that got about 10mpg pulling my trailer. My tundra would get 8mpg pulling the exact same trailer. It always confused the shit out of me.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. It’s all about the epa test loop. Some manufactures totally f up normal daily usage to get a great window sticker. Toyota sticks to their principles and not marketing. Best way on new vehicles is to read road tests on real world. Some get way better and some worse.

cav115 likes this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

No, I`m sure my sample size is smaller; we service three fleets of Ford trucks, 42 total.... and some customer trucks.

We see them either losing timing chains/or actuators, or rounding off the timing "pin" they use, instead of woodruff key on the crank.

Have to wonder about the engineering/bean counters @ ford these days.

The late model fusion 4 cylinder d
    has it`s crank gear indexed by being sandwiched between 2 diamond coated washers instead of a key.

Guess what`s happening to those? Plentiful work replacing engines for us.

And then theres the 5.4 plug and valve timing issues, and the diesels.....lol

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why do the ‘yotas get shitty mileage compared to their domestic competitors?

Because you yahoos keep buying them.

Why sink the R&D costs?

JBraun and cav115 like this.
  7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, i have to wonder how many vehicles yall see with over 100k on them for service... It is a pretty small percentage of domestic car owners that return to the dealer for service once the warranty is over.

Very few of the ones we see dont have major issues before 150K.

cav115 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Knowing the dealership, a bunch. They're not remotely close to a normal domestic car dealership when it comes to trucks.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Its a great point. When I was a service writer for a bike dealership out here I had a R1 with 30k miles come in and was amazed, didn't know they existed. 50k was the highest I ever saw. My F4i has 91k now. Its never been to the dealer.

cav115 likes this.
  10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Yeah, we do see a lot. We write anywhere from 250-300 oil changes per day and around 7000 total RO's per month. The Ecoboost has been around long enough that there are more with high mileage out there. The only thing the techs tell me about them is as they get higher in mileage, they are burning more oil, but it's nothing to worry about.

It's not uncommon for us to see half tons with 250-400k miles on them.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. 40MPG coasting down hill maybe... If that was achievable with just a tune, and didn't impact reliability or drivability all the mfgs would already be all over it.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

He did it. Just to prove a point. It was leaned out a bit in the RPM range where it would be driving 65MPH. He lives in Chicago, so the highway driving was all on flat land. It was a setup not suitable for long term use.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That proves my point, lean enough that it's not a tune you can leave in it, perfect driving conditions. I can coax 28mpg to 30mpg highway out of my Wrangler when conditions are right too, but that doesn't mean I claim I've got a 30mpg car.

14. YamahaRick

Where did I say he said that?

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Right there, you said it all right there. Leaner than the crazy lean burn EPA regs force now, perfect conditions, not setup for long term use... and as you noted at the start of the post it was a one off to be a demo, not anything that could actually be rolled out for production. I stand by my point that if that kind of power/efficiency was just a tune away with no drawbacks we'd all have them from the factory.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Do you really want a Mexican-built truck, from a manufacturer that cares little about the American worker/people, filed bankruptcy and fucked all its creditors, suppliers, and shareholders, yet, still had enough money to pay its executives millions of dollars in compensation packages during the same timeframe?

17. YamahaRick

Whatever dude. You win at the Internet. Go buy yourself a Happy Meal.

18. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Silverado and Ram trucks come from Mexico.

Tacomas were originally 50% made in Cali and 50% Mexico, then 100% made in Texas, but soon they'll be 100% made in Mexico.

There's a long list of cars, some truck frames, some transmissions, and other stuff coming from Mexico.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

New Rams are Michigan.

20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Does that mean there a better built truck.