1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I was looking at a 2019 F150 King Ranch, or whatever with a 5.o V8. Gas mileage was 18/23 according to specs. Then I broadened my search and looked at a 2018 Tundra SR5. Gas mileage 13/17. Why such a big difference? Which is a preferred truck of the beeb?

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

In on page 1.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I didn't see a thing about Tundras, even did a search. What did I miss?

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Tundra engine is pretty long in the tooth, other than that I got nothing. The Toyota/Lexus (and even Nissan) V8's have ALWAYS been thirsty.

F150 in standard drive mode will shift VERY early in the rev-range if you're not getting on it.

My 2015 F150 with 5.0 V8 and 6-speed transmission gets right around 19-20mpg in mixed driving and about 23-24 highway. Newer 10-speed version should do just slightly better. This is with 3.55 rear end.

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

The Tundra is a turd compared to the F-150. See which one sells better and you'll be astonished at the difference.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's because Tundra's use an old spec engine. I seem to remember reading that in some truck comparison. I have a Titan and it sucks gas like no tomorrow too. Took it to PA this past weekend loaded down and probably got 12-14 at best. Only saving grace was that gas is so cheap I didn't care.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I have an older tundra, so semi irrelevant in comparison to newer trucks, but that damn thing is horrible on fuel mileage and can’t pull a string out of a cats ass.My wife’s dodge 1500 ram seems to get nearly double the mileage and 3 times the HP.

8. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Loved my Tundra but best mps I ever saw was 16 the day I got it (used 2012). Typically commuting was around 11

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I was just puzzled how two nearly brand new trucks are so different in fuel specs. Makes choosing one over another much easier.

10. NemesisR6

I've been amazed by my 2015 F150 since I bought it new. Incredible truck. Super smooth, lots of power when needed, and eats up miles very quietly and in total comfort.

Tows my 7K lb. toy hauler pretty damn well for a 1/2 ton, too.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Of subject, how big of a power boat can but a late model F150 reasonable tow? Let use a center cockpit Boston Whaler as an example. 25, 28, 30+?

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

The Ford trucks are just more efficient, the 10 speed transmission helps also. Otherwise the hp output numbers are pretty close as are the 1/4 mile slips 14.7 ford to 15.1 toyota. Toyota doesnt ever seem to offer big incentives on the Tundra either where Ford does pretty good at that. Both seemed to be pretty good options, I ended up with a Tundra and have been pretty happy so far. I was looking at the 5.0 F150 and the 5.7 Tundra FWIW

Ducti89 likes this.
  13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Surprised no one mentioned an oil burner. Towing youll see the biggest difference, from double digit (oil burner numbers) to single digit (gas burner numbers).

cav115 likes this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Not if it’s the Titan. My 5.7 Ram1500 gets better mileage towing or not than the Titan XD did.

15. NemesisR6

Titan XD Cummins was one of the biggest let-downs of all time.

Barely tows more than a half-ton, absolutely awful tuning from the factory, dogshit MPG, etc. etc. etc.

They really missed the mark with that truck, and it's sales figures showed it.......as evidenced that it's already been scrapped from the model line.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

new 10 speed in the F150's is pretty amazing. My best friends run a performance shop and have trucks and mustangs coming out of there with blowers and turbos making 8-900hp on stock internals and stock transmissions with tuning..

My buddies didnt build this one. They won't touch shit from On3 Performance..

anyway... new F150's rule.

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I agree. Such a missed opportunity to dominate the market with that concept.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The 10 speed transmission was a joint design effort between Ford and GM. Not that I'd ever buy a GM product, but it should be available under that brand as well. I think it is rated to handle up to 1000HP.

Also realize many vehicles are "tuned" to get best mileage under EPA's test conditions, not the real world. There's a guy in Chicago that tuned a Corvette to have 400HP, yet have 40MPG on the highway.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Gas Mileage wise the GM stuff is the best of the bunch. Well power wise also for the v-8 gas trucks. Toyota and Nissan are the worst of the bunch.
    My 6.2 truck pretty consistently gets 18-19mpg per tank. Hell it gets better than a Tundra with a car on a trailer behind it...

It averaged 10.6 pulling a 22’ trailer to Laguna, Sonoma and then back
    Last year also.

spoon32 likes this.
  20. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I was sort of wondering how 2020 GM 1500 compared. They have a 8 and a 10 speed version.