1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'General' started by 10-15, May 25, 2020.

1. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Excerpt from the poem, "For the Fallen" , by Laurence Binyon.

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

"In Flanders field" - Ltc John McCrae

3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Thank you to all who have served selflessly...without you we wouldn’t be the great country we are today.

Happy Memorial Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. Haven’t read it in a while. Love that poem, even though he’s a Brit. :D

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is it just me or does saying “happy Memorial Day” seem a bit off... :confused:

6. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm with you

Today is the day to honor those who gave their lives. Enjoy some freedom today and reflect on that

Today is not the day to honor those that served, there's a different day for that. If you don't know the difference, perhaps some more reflection on your part is due

7. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

I've seen a Gold Star Mom absolutely go off on some poor bastard that made the mistake of wishing her a happy Memorial Day

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s kinda where I’m at with it.

It’s a solemn day, not a day of celebration. Doesn’t need to be morose, but it shouldn’t be clowns with squirt gun flowers and squeaky horns either.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Damn. I guess I need to go back to the local party store and return a couple things.

scottn and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I can imagine the party stores in SLC... ;)

brex and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Let's also remember those who continue to die here at home from unseen wounds.
    22 every day.

SuddenBraking, tl1098, scottn and 3 others like this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Memorial Day is for the fallen. I also include those who survived the war(s) but have since passed...I may be mistaken but that is my thought. They all deserve to be remembered for their courage and sacrifice.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Why?

The whole point is to celebrate the freedoms afforded by the people that gave their life for it. Right?

Or nah?

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Thankfully, that blank check that I wrote never got cashed.

Thankfully, I was never even remotely in a position that said check would be endorsed by the American people during my military tenure. My time in the service was marked by meeting some of the best people I've ever known, and getting to play with some of the abso-freakin-lutely COOLEST toys on the planet.

Memorial Day is for those who gave all, not for those of us who didn't. I don't even really like it when people thank me for my service. I totally enjoyed my time. Sometimes I feel like I should be thanking them for the opportunity.

15. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Nah.

It's to honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice to afford you those freedoms

It's about them, not you

scottn and David-imoddavid like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Come on, man. Even I know that's wrong.

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Look up the CBS Sunday Morning story on 'Taps Across America' story on that video sharing site. What Steve Hartman and Jari Villanueva are promoting is a brilliant idea. I'm about to practice with my Dad's old military / Boy Scout bugle.

Memorial Day was my Dad's favorite, and a very solemn holiday in our house. I'm sad the ceremonies are all cancelled this year. I normally participate in an annual 10 mile 'Freedom March' organized by some veterans, that ends at a fantastic local Memorial Day service.

As someone has already mentioned, not all of the deaths occur on the battlefield, or during the war. Many a veteran carried battle scars with them the rest of their lives. War is hell.

I honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for my family's freedom.

tl1098, scottn, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Like I said, I may be wrong. sometimes it was just dumb luck who survived and who didn't. I chose to honor all those departed who faced real danger even those who managed to survive. They all gave us this freedom.

19. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

All gave some.
    Some gave all.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

This was written by a aquatintace that still serves and has lost friends in combat. I think it's quite poignant and accurate. So maybe it's different strokes for different folks. I'm going to go and get some ice cream with my kiddos now and enjoy this beautiful day afforded by the people who can't do so now.

This isn't a day about scolding people who may understand it differently, it's about remembering our brothers and sisters who will be forever remembered in their youth as we continue to age and appreciate every second we are afforded. If you can't smile at least once today, I hope you can find a way to eventually. Remember the good times we were so lucky to have with those who are no longer with us, those moments of laughter are invaluable now. Remember to find meaning in those life lessons we learned in the hardest ways possible. Remember to treat your fellow citizens with a little more compassion. Remember to live life to every last drop. That's what today is about, living life in their honor.

Not just today, every day, they live on because we still speak their names-Timothy Weiner, Daniel Miller, Elizabeth Loncki, Kris Solesbee, and so very many more.

scottn, Newyork and JBraun like this.