1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Is that a rubberized metal guide or a plastic guide? And make sure there's isn't any friction with it and the tire. The guide should never touch the wheel, it needs to be a tiny bit above and away from the wheel and don't forget to adjust the angle of attack. There is a sweet spot for the best angle on a pneumatic/electric machine

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

The red piece isnt metal, it's a heavy duty plastic type material and wont scratch the wheel.

I noticed that the machines adjust it out so it just barely clears the wheel, but seeing as I'll be doing it manually, it will just ride the wheel around like the NoMar bar does. At least that's how the YouTube videos do. NoMar bar works pretty easily, but this one looks even easier. I'll post up how it goes when my new tires come in. Hell, I may go out today and make a little video with a takeoff I have laying around.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  3. lopitt85

For anyone interested, I played with my home-made mount/demount bar. Didnt take any video though.

I think it's about the same, maybe slightly easier than the NoMar bar. Both of them work very well, but this was much cheaper to make than the NoMar was to buy.

If you have the NoMar bar already, no need to switch. If you dont have a bar and want to save your pennies, this is a good option.

One thing I'm going to add to it is a handle near the head to keep the bar from rotating. Similar to what's on the NoMar. I just held the head with my hand and that worked fine. I'd prefer a handle though, to make sure my fingers stay safe.

TurboBlew and tl1098 like this.
  4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Nice to know thanks for the write up.

5. lopitt85

Well, I changed my first set of tires with the homemade bar. Popped on a set of Michelin Roadsmart 5's on the wife's Ninja 400. And I must say I prefer the homemade bar. It's a little easier for me. But the NoMar bar also works well, it's just more expensive.

Also, for anyone interested, I found my notes on the dimensions of my wheel clamps. They are 3/4" HDPE. After my conversation with the shop that made them, he thought they would be stronger by leaving the extra meat on the backside of the "lip hook" so you can see he curved it.

Screenshot_20200517-160040_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200604-193516_Gallery.jpg

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Michelin Roadsmart 5’s? Is that a hybrid tire? o_O

lopitt85 likes this.
  7. lopitt85

Haha. Sorry, meant Pilot Road 5's. Its only the 2nd non-Dunlop tire I've ridden on. Guess I still have the Dunlops on my brain :moon:

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Uhhh, those would be Road 5’s. No more “Pilot” on the sport-touring versions. I know, Michelin can’t make it anymore confusing. They have so many different names and micro-splits in their product line, it’s become too much, IMO.

lopitt85 likes this.
  9. lopitt85

Shit...yeah those, lol. Road 5's. Sport touring, sticky sides, hard center, great for rain and still good for cornering. Should last forever on this Ninja 400 as the wife is learning...and I can steal it for some trackdays :beer:

ducnut likes this.
  10. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Thread revival!

I have an unfinished basement just begging for one of these tire changers.

Whats the easiest/cheapest way to secure one?

11. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Cheap/easy is relative. I mounted mine to a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood. Never had any issues with stability and I can slide it around the garage to wherever I feel like storing it.

12. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I have mine mounted to a half sheet of 3/4" plywood. My standing on it makes it stable enough.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a big ol piece of diamond plate cut and chamfered.

The Todd likes this.
  14. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Back room of the basement is unfinished so I built this so I didnt have to screw it in the floor. Lumber was alot cheaper then - had Home Depot cut them at 48 in and I just lined them up and deck screwed them together. It doesnt move or flex no matter how much torque is put on them and I can still move it around if I wanted to (it hasnt moved from that spot for years).

IMG_7377.jpg

IMG_7379.jpg

youngR, The Todd, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  15. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have the hitch mount. At first I didn't think I would like it but it has been handy to be able to put the tire changer in and use it where I want. I have a hitch fab'd up on the front of my bad boy buggy I usually use and that works fine though not as stable as putting it in a truck hitch. when I'm done I store it in a corner more out of the way. The long hitch will let it sit upright on the floor and the bead breaker acts like a kickstand. I would guess whole setup weighs maybe 80 pounds

*edit* just noticed this was for a basement. Ignore everything above :cool:

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Seems like I’m in the minority by using drop in anchors in concrete.

Plywood definitely gives you more versatility.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

+1 for hitch mount.

cheapest/easiest = 4 masonry bolts into the floor

18. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

At my old place I had mine mounted into the concrete floor in the garage. My current setup is it's bolted to a heavy skid from work, with some Harbor Freight casters. Not as much space as I used to have and need to roll it around.

BigBird likes this.
  19. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

I need to get one of these some day. I keep putting it off since I move so often all over the world.

20. lopitt85

At my old place it was bolted to a pallet, and the pallet bolted to the floor.

At my new place it's still on the pallet but the pallet isnt bolted to the floor. No difference in use. I can move it wherever I want by just sliding it around, or using a dolly of I'm moving it long distance. I also welded up my own hitch mount.