1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you pick up a Snapping Turtle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 21, 2020.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

it’s amazing you can see my eyes in this photo.

2. Mblashfield

Rescued this one yesterday D6A429EF-060C-4689-A12D-4E9A467417E4.jpeg 841BD8D6-50BB-4D55-8E2F-8106310974EE.jpeg

Steeltoe, jd41 and SpeedyE like this.
  3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol.. I was going by the direction your head was facing . When we were kids we raised a few from eggs . And from my experience they can stretch their heads out almost as far as Softshells and are lighting quick . I personally would not have my hand where your was .

Mblashfield likes this.
  4. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

picked up plenty of the regular snapping turtles, i've only seen one alligator snapping turtle in my life in the panhandle of florida ( i live in tampa bay area)

the only rule i have is, you gotta yell YEEYEEYEEYEEYEEYEEYEEEEEEE when you pick him up, lol

they will grab ahold of you pretty good, always give em a stick to bite on to, but ive even been bitten a few times and never lost a finger.

jd41 likes this.
  5. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Drove around a dude in a white truck watching over a turtle in the road this week. Chelsea area. Maybe that was you . . . or then again, it could have been Bizarro you. Either way, nice job helping a dinosaur cross the street.

SpeedyE and Steeltoe like this.
  6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Not on the fingers, I presume. Else, how did you manage that feat?

7. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

8. Mblashfield

lol

9. mattology

the ones i've picked up were never more than say a foot long. and i never took a direct hit to a single finger. compared to youtube they are small!!! some of those giant ones i have no doubt could take a finger

10. Mblashfield

11. Mblashfield

The ones in my 2 photos are “common” snapping turtles. Here is a rather large ALLIGATOR ST. And the proper way to handle them. DD33EA10-C717-451F-903B-ED542D866D79.jpeg BC4DD074-4669-48F0-84F2-9BFBAD43CCB0.jpeg C291F302-8187-4E82-8A12-D6762ED35B87.jpeg

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. Mblashfield

This sumbitch will take an arm off!! 99A71C0A-E4B4-4891-ABCD-8D2DCE5634B7.jpeg

SpeedyE and Metalhead like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yup. That's the beast. Closer in size to the last one. All the interwebs say they don't live in NC which would explain why I've never seen one before. Could be a transplant somebody brought in I suppose. I saw it close enough and long enough it was not the standard model!

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Holy Crap .. you guys are nuts :D:beer:

16. mattology

i had no idea they got that big, that is awesome!!!!!

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

Grattan on the back straight during a track walk...

Untitled.jpg

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh hell no! No way in hell I'm even going near those moster sized ones much less trying to pick it up and move it. One of those big ass ones wants to sit in the middle of the road, hang out in front of the 7/11 slinging pot or beg for money in the median at a stop light who am I to deny their rights? That's for the gooberment to do and I'm all for individual rights and shit. :D