1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convection oven venting

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, May 21, 2020.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Is that anything like bearded clams?

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I didn’t, I thought the same thing. But I did buy a house that some other nitwit had one put in. :D

R Acree likes this.
  3. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

No... some people came into our place one day and asked if we would fix them a trout in the microwave... ugh.. it was awful but they loved it.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

So pretty much like what you post here. :D

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. :D
    But apparently there are a couple of peeps who relish in smelling the lingering stale smell of baked salmon and asparagus though out their household. o_O

6. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i would absolutely blank off that return for one.. or find a way to turn it into a makeup air pathway, and then get a higher volume vent hood. as the vent hood vents to outside, the makeup air will pull in air from outside to manage the pressure differential from removing air inside the kitchen. put the makeup intake on the other side of the house from the vent hood exhaust, and you should cut down smell that way also, as the air should flow across the room from the makeup air to the vent hood, taking some smell with it

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No mention if whether it is gas or electric. One of these requires more throughput than the other.

Modern ovens are partially closed systems -- mostly tight for efficiency; a convection oven is simply a standard oven with a fan inside to move the air and increase convective heat transfer (which is the dominant mode in any oven not fitted with a radiation panel). When you run the fan it modestly pressurizes the box. I am not sure what air volume of in/out leakage is (and will be model dependent), but the fan increases it due to increased pressure differentials. If the oven/hood are not arranged in such a way as the hood can capture that hot air coming out of the oven, you get residual air in the kitchen infused with cook-smell.

So, the answer is a properly designed hood, which seemed so obvious that anyone would know, but then I saw who asked the question. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Garth talking about cooking and posting some random stock photo ain't enough for me to care :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's cuz he's crazy and the stink and venting has nothing to do with it being a convection oven or not :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

That's one thing I hate about our layout is the stove on an inner wall and no vent run to the outside wall.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Radom stock photo? :moon:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You ain't good enough at photoshop for that to be yours :p

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

How’s this one for photoshop? :crackup:
    46196073-E97A-41A6-BCEB-3010592EFD98.jpeg

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks good. No pie or cookies or muffins tho...

G 97 likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh yeah, that’s not mine. Forgot about that. LOL.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator