1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Dealer Hijinks

Discussion in 'General' started by Resident Plarp, May 22, 2020.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Recently, my Q7 eliminated a Civic that failed to use due care and caution when turning left across my right-of-way. Now, I’ve got a very reasonable total loss cheque on the way from the insurance company.

Two days ago, I found a suitable replacement model, basically the same car, color, loadout &etc., but in a newer model. It’s a CPO car. I explain the situation to the salesman; I‘m just waiting on the reimbursement to come through (next week) and then I’ll pick the car up 30 May and then made an offer. They countered with a reasonable number and required a $1,000 deposit. No problem, just email the offer so I can examine it and I’ll ring you back before the close of business.

Things got busy at the office, so I failed to ring him that day. I replied to the email as such and then yesterday, we connected, money traded hands and we agreed on a 30 May delivery. It’s a few hours away, so I’m not going down mid-week to get the car.

Mind you, no contract had been signed.

Come 1600, I get a call from salesman indicating that, with only $1,000 down, they can’t mark the car as sold unless you’re going to pick it up Tuesday, after Memorial Day. They need $10,000 deposit to hold the car until 30 May.

We do a little back-and-forth and, after sleeping on it and trying my best not to tell the guy to get cancer (sales manager isn’t interesting in speaking with me) I tell him to send the wire instructions so I can look at it and I’ll be in touch the next day.

Well, it’s the next day. Do I tell this guy to get cancer? Call Audi customer care and let them know the story? Buy a different car elsewhere? Suck it up and wire the remainder?

It’s a few grand below what anyone else is offering the car.

What sayeth the BBS BSers?

2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If that is the one you want go get it...right now. It’s not yours until you clear the curb, I don’t care what the paperwork says. If it’s cheap they’ve probably had it awhile and if somebody walks in and says I’ll take it I promise they’ll leave with it while your paperwork gets lost.

3. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

Depends how badly you want car and if 10k is going to have an adverse effect on your finances.
    On one hand, it's BS and shady - do you want to do business with a company that operates that way?
    On other hand, it's less expensive than others (wonder why that is?)

I'd personally take a Laissez Faire approach and tell them to send me my 1k back as there's no reason for them to keep it if it's not a deposit. I'd tell the salesman that you'll be in on the 30th with the money. If it sells, no skin off your back. Cars are Commodities.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RichB, Funkm05, SteveThompson and 7 others like this.
  4. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

They made more than one of them. Tell him to piss up a rope.

DrA5, aaronson, fastfreddie and 3 others like this.
  5. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

its a big car selling weekend, that being said, its a terrible car selling year *cough* do like the commercial, lick the car to claim it. Really, you know its a good deal correct? You have checked elsewhere and cant find a suitable deal? Nut up, either you want it or you dont, I got tired of my washer tapdancing so I pulled the trigger on a new top of the line, could I have waited longer, did I want to?

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you have emails stating the $1000 will hold the car for you, then that is essentially a contract, but probably not worth trying to enforce. My guess, someone came in and wants the car so they want to make sure you are serious and will show up so they raised the deposit. They don't want to lose the sale to both the new customer and you.

Shady for sure, but if you really want that car at that price, you will have to pony up the bigger deposit, head down today or take the chance on losing it.

Also make sure you know what all the extra "fees" will be. Sometimes cheaper is only cheaper until you hit all the dealer add-ons (even for used cars).

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Tell them to return your $1k. Then, see if its still there a week from now, and lowball the shit out of them with cash in hand.

Tj Hunter, DrA5, Chino52405 and 12 others like this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Sign the contract, fill out their financing paperwork, tell them they'll have the cash next week. If you're approved they'll let you leave with the car. If you don't show with the cash you're on the hook with Audi fiance. If you show with the cash then the paperwork doesn't go to Audi finance. I did this years ago with a BMW.

9. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Sounds like a shady dealership. Get a hold of the general manager and tell them to pound sand.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

this. Bigtime.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Personally, I would have a hard time giving them my money after that bullshit.

418 and ducnut like this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, Powder is preaching the truth. Testify!

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You like the car
    It's CPO and a less expensive option as you said
    It's a few hours from GR so they won't be the servicing dealer
    So do the dance with them
    And call and go over the sales manglers head to the cheese
    And call them until you get the cheese on the phone
    Normally if you drive the receptionist crazy with a bunch of calls you will get the cheese quick
    Let us know what happened

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

This is good.
    Also, ask for a different sales rep when you get there.

15. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

The dealership may make more on the car if you finance it and there is no penalty for paying off the loan early - my Dad has had many an argument at the Mercedes dealer as the Cash price for a car is always higher than if financed. Also, I think there is still a 3 day return policy in Michigan.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and if they don't give you your cash, go over there tomorrow when they are busy (big Audi sales event starts today/ tomorrow) and stand outside the showroom and smoosh snake.

joec likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I have the feeling that the sales mangler is holding for more money from a different customer. Get on the phone with the cheese ASAP

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Audi con queso

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Is that English? What does it mean.

Regardless, ask for your deposit back. I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of business on their terms, only on mine. It is a matter of principle, to me.

ducnut likes this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Get your money back and walk away. Go get a Santa Fe and have a better SUV for far less money.