1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convection oven venting

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, May 21, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I have a convention oven and it vents directly into my house. Can it be vented to the outside?
    How do you eliminate cooking smells from your house?

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I don’t cook anything whose cooking smells are anything I want eliminated from my house.

You microwaving fish again?

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Do you want a cookie
    70E07749-1DFF-492A-ABA2-D5E3B3BB8625.jpeg

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Chocolate chip corn cookies :D

G 97 likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will help you or not. In my Grand Design Toy Hauler we have a combination microwave/convection oven and it is definitely vented to the outside. I recently took the unit down from where it was mounted on the wall because of a "recall". They provided a heat shield to be installed behind the unit, which I did. While I had it down though, I noticed that it could be configured to exhaust the heat out the back (to a vent to the outside), out the top (it you had a roof vent), or out through the bottom and that would allow the fan to blow the heat/smells back into the room. You might check yours and see if there are options on which direction it can vent, besides back into the room and the see if it can be vented to the outside.

G 97 likes this.
  8. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I have a vent hood that pulls pretty effectively at removing pretty much any smell of anything i'm cooking from the range / stove top

I put the wall oven across from it, so it does a pretty good job of that also. When running the air fryer, i set it on top of the range, and with the vent hood on, all of that is evacuated as well. My yard smells awesome, but inside the house, no smell.

If your oven has a venting that allows it to be routed directly into a vent hood/ exhaust, then do that. otherwise just fire up the vent hood.

G 97 likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Time out. I was under the impression that the fan's main purpose was to circulate the heated air within the oven to promote even cooking. Venting it out makes zero sense from an energy standpoint.

10. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

Without knowing brand & model# it's pretty hard to answer correctly. Is it gas or electric wall oven, free standing range, oven/microwave combination, over the range microwave with convection? If it's a wall oven then I would say your answer is No unless its some sort of fancy brand like some of the new ones that will change the cat litter and make you coffee at the same time via cell phone app. If it's a wall oven you are not going to be able to get rid of the cooking smells within the room due to the design nature in my opinion.

G 97 likes this.
  11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

basically what has already been stated.

get the install manual for your model online. look into if it has a vent kit as an accessory, or if it has provisions for different vent methods included. if it doesnt... run your range hood vent (required by code here in cali- not sure about the fly over states :D) when your cooking to pull what you can out of the kitchen.

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Just to add absolutely nothing other than a general piece of snarkiness to the thread, whether the oven is regular, convection or (as in the OP) convention the exact model of the oven is going to determine where venting takes place. If the oven has a rear-facing outlet that can be hooked to an external vent you can vent to the outside. Otherwise it's going to vent inside the house.

One word of caution though, if it really is a convention oven most social distancing laws still require that it operate at only 25% capacity.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Don't dry your pot in the oven and don't cure your powder coat in the oven.....

Phl218 and Metalhead like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was thinking the same thing. What is this dude cooking?

15. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's his dishwasher.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

In theory you can reduce baking temps and time 10%- 20% depending on what the food item is as the moist air created from the food cooking is vented and the food cooks quicker. I don’t think it takes anymore or less energy though. Not sure. It does cook more even as not only is the air being circulated the burners alternate bottom/broiler. Things like pizza, I don’t use it as I like the crust doesn’t seem to crisp enough before the rest of the pizza is done etc. first world problem

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think it has been answered...some may have vent kits, others don't. Depends on the model.

G 97 likes this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think you’re right. The other thing is, there is a larger HAVAC air return above it which circulated everything to the rest of the house. I Got the manual out and no options etc. Also seems to be an issue with others, as there are some peeps blogging about it. Maybe I need to start officially blogging to share all of my individual unimportant, who cares misfortunes. :D
    9871994C-0605-45A8-BBD4-718AE3A6B536.jpeg

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You put a return in the kitchen? I would have chosen differently.

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Oh man... y'all ever poach a trout:Puke: