1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 19, 2020.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, the chinese never bought new tooling would be my guess...

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Who doesn't toss the tire under the frame in addition to the jack stand?

racerx13, mpusch and gixxerboy55 like this.
  3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I checked mine last night and compared them t the Craftsman set I have. They aren’t identical - the cast part of the harbor freight is considerably thinner in all dimensions. And the set I have are included in the recall. Time to take them back.

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Here's a picture of the originals vs the recalls FWIW.

pdd106l.jpg

The.Johnner and YamahaRick like this.
  5. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

RichB likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

OMG - This made me chuckle!

Attached Files:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

guilty. i dont

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And now they are made in the same factory...Craftsman is just another name sold off to slap on cheap tools.

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I thought TTI had bought that one as well. I may put some back in the tool box since they are still American owned. However at the end of the Sears run there were a ton of tools not being made in the US that had Craftsman branding on them.

11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Nah SB&D bought 'em, and seems like they're putting a good bit of money behind them.

I think AvE on YouTube did a few teardowns and found that they were mechanically nearly identical to the DeWalt, but used more budget housings. That plus the new Fort Worth plant that's supposed to have a fair bit of forging capabilities so they can bring the hand tool manufacturing in-house.

Sears did certainly try to milk the brand for all that it was worth, from probably early 2000s till they sold it, but it seems like whoever's now managing the brand at SB&D realizes there still is some value left in the name.

12. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

So I should just buy $300 jack stands because they are more expensive?

13. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Just took mine back to HF. Was expecting a gift card but they would only swap them out for new Pittsburgh that are red in color and not under the recall. Mine were the 6tons.
    I can’t find 6 tons that are made in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Interesting. If they try that I suppose I'll show the email and kindly ask for my gift card.

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I used to, but gradually stopped doing it over the years. Just realized it when I read these posts.

I use the jack stands and keep the jack in place and loaded ever so slightly.

16. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

In my industry we call this "quality fade". And it happens every time.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My HF gave me cash for my 6 tonners. I also have been looking for USA made replacements. I found one company but they were out of stock..forget the brand. When I do get replacements they will also have the secondary locking pin that prevents the release handle from lifting. I'm also going to use the spare tire/block of wood as a backup. I'm probably over thinking this but I'm always working alone.

18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

^^^ this is what I do , I use but never trust jack stands . Heard too many horror stories over the years .

19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

No

Pick quality, pay, and be safe.

Snap On is your answer.

20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sorry snapon is not my answer,wayy over priced tools.

sdg likes this.