1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here do their own mosquito treatments?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, May 20, 2020.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Was watching my pest control people spray for the mosquito's today and was thinking to myself....why am I paying someone else to do this?

I can buy the Stihl Fogger/Backpack Blower for $400....I pay the pest control company $450/year for 6 treatments. If I buy the fogger....I can convince my neighbor to buy the chemicals and I'll spray both our yards and hopefully reduce the amount of pest coming from his side of the property line.

My question is....where to buy professional quality spray/chemicals? And what is the best product to use?

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I've used some over the counter stuff from Lowe's. It's one of those bottles you hook up to the garden hose and then just water the lawn. It worked pretty well and only cost a few bucks. Since then I've started planting things like marigolds, lavender and citronella around the yard. Haven't been doing it long enough to provide substantial coverage for the yard but I'm hoping it will take care of it long term. There are a lot of plants that will repel them naturally.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I did prior to my plot twist.

Sylvan Silver Bullet and Permethrin based insecticide.

I had a one acre back yard with about half wooded and left natural. In the open area we had a pool. The fogger worked well and we never had a mosquito issue.

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

TC Wisdom Flowable from Tractor Supply. Save your dough.

6. sdgers

sdgers Well-Known Member

Also domyown.com
    Haven't done business with them, but they have all the stuff.

7. ClemsonsR6

Thanks everyone......will check out the suggestions and links.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Cyonara 9.5 off of Amazon

Use one of the Cutter backyard bottles that you get at hardware store and hook to your garden hose ...then save the empty and put about 1.5'' of cyonara in there and re-use it.

Other option is a regular pump sprayer but takes a bit longer for larger areas.

I just hook up 3 garden hoses end to end and off I go. I do not want more fucking tools to store in my garage that are in the way that also break.

Cyonara is also great if your wife is a spider freak....works damn well and I live at the mouth of Lake Erie so we get no shortage of bugs.

9. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

For the diy'ers with a pump sprayer, what are you spraying? Just the perimeter? We have 3 acres and are lined by trees on 3 sides. Last year the mosquitoes were so bad you couldn't be outside after dark. Record rainfall in May already isn't going to help this year.

10. ClemsonsR6

That's why I'm going with the actual backpack fogger - 3.75 acres here, trees around the whole place.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Hey, just don't kill the honeybees while you're at it.. I put bat houses up at the old shop a few places..bats moved in. Around dusk there was a definite difference. Abd they're fun to watch. We had mosquitoes pretty bad during the day though. So always had some off in the shop just in case.

nd4spd likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Now we're gonna get a bunch of posts from guys that hate / freak out about bats. :D

13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

7607e7125f35cff259d3ba9f9e59f724.jpg There's nothing more dangerous than wounded mosquito :D

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you guys have that kind of area to spray wouldn't it be better to get some kind of 30gal tank and mount it to your riding mower ?

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I ride around on my sxs with the fogger on the passengers seat.

16. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I also use a Thermacell instead of bug spray. Useful at the track, the deer stand, camping, etc. They’re fantastic as a temporary bubble.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

I don't know but I hope I get an invite and I'm bringing the old stingray over to relive my childhood

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Does this stuff work well against flies? And do you have to reapply often? How about after rain storms?

Flies are fucking terrible in my backyard. I do my best to keep the dog poop cleaned up and don’t have any trash or other common festering areas nearby but they’re ever present.

19. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Put up bird houses/feeders.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Actual pic of Clemsons this summer...:D

[​IMG]